× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro corrupt flash no boot menu

Yoda1492
Luminary

Since the model number is important to the flash, I thought I would explicitly post the model number.  The model number of the NAS is:

RNDP600E (ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition).

Message 26 of 74
StephenB
Guru

If you are focussed specifically on the boot issue, then maybe insert one healthy drive in slot 1, do a fresh factory install with that drive, and see if that boots reliably.

@Yoda1492 wrote:

I decided to do option 4 and here are the results of running diagnostics via RAIDar:

Successfully completed diagnostics
System
Disk 2 has 6 Reallocated Sectors
Disk 2 has 6 Reallocation Events
Disk 2 has 7 Spin Retries
Disk 3 has 577 Reallocated Sectors
Disk 3 has 577 Reallocation Events
Disk 4 has 97 Reallocated Sectors
Disk 4 has 97 Reallocation Events
Disk 6 has 21 Spin Retries
Disk 6 has 1 Command Timeouts

I'd replace disk 3 for sure, and if it were my system I'd replace disk 4 as well.  My normal practice is to replace disks before the reallocated sectors reaches 50.

But if your spares are in good shape, consider retiring 2 and 6 also.  Spin Retries is potentially a sign of bearing issues (and certainly is a sign that the disk mechanicals are wearing out).

Message 27 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

Hello StephenB,

Thank you for the quick response.  Since Disk 1 is not mentioned at all by the diagnostics test, I will take all the other drives out and do a factory reset with just that one drive.  That was option 10 in my list.  I will do that now.  Stay tuned ... Also, I just checked option 3 in the list and all disk drives are on the hardware compatibility list for this model of NAS.  Some drives are 7200.11 series and others are the 7200.12 series, but they are all on the list for this NAS.

Message 28 of 74
StephenB
Guru

@Yoda1492 wrote:

Also, I just checked option 3 in the list and all disk drives are on the hardware compatibility list for this model of NAS.  Some drives are 7200.11 series and others are the 7200.12 series, but they are all on the list for this NAS.

I don't think you have a compatibility problem.

The HCL for legacy NAS isn't kept up to date, so it's really not that useful anymore.  If you buy new disks, then I suggest either WDC Red or Seagate IronWolf.  Both work well in ReadyNAS, and are designed for NAS/Raid.  I'm a Western Digital guy myself, but I do have some 1 TB IronWolf drives on hand, and they work quite well.  They are also exceptionally quiet.

Message 29 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

All disks were removed except disk 1.  With just one disk in the system I accessed the Boot Menu.  Since I was at the Boot Menu, I decided to do the Memory Test as well.  That passed.

Mem test passed.PNG

and then started again.  I did the factory default on the system with just one drive.  It said:

Installing Firmware

XRAID 2 Mode.

That completed and booted fine.  I ran setup and configured the NAS.  I will start the reboot tests and post the results.

Message 30 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

I did three reboots and they were all perfect.  So the state that the NAS is in is a currently a good state.  I shut the system down and disconnected the power cord.  I will leave power disconnected for 10 minutes.  Then I will see if it boots normally.  If that works, I will put in disk 5 in disk 2's slot and let that get added to the Logical Unit.  Disk 5 did not show any issues in the diagnostics screen.  I will look at my spare drives while disk 5 is RSYNCing. 

Message 31 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

I reconnected the power cord after waiting 10 minutes, and with only one drive in the system, the LCD just says READYNAS and then there are rows (I counted 20 so far and it still going) of tick marks going from left to right:

NAS tick marks.PNG

Does anybody know what it is doing when it is doing that?  The USB activity light is lit solid.  The NIC light is not lit.  RAIDar can not discover the NAS in this condition.  I let it do this for a few minutes and powered it off and powered it back on via the power button on the front of the NAS.  The LCD just says ReadyNAS and the USB activity light is lit solid.  I guess I can rule out the disk drives as the root cause of this issue.  The NAS is back to the initial problem.  I am sure after several reboots I will be able to get it to boot. Could it be the power supply?

Message 32 of 74
StephenB
Guru

@Yoda1492 wrote:

Could it be the power supply?

It's hard to rule the power supply out.  But I can't think of a failure mode that explains your symptoms either. 

Message 33 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

I moved the NAS to where the monitor is and it booted like normal.  I can login via the USB keyboard and the admin account.  Since the NAS side panel is open, I see the 3V lithium battery is right there and easy to change.  I have several of those.  I can try that as that is supposed to keep some settings when the power is disconnected.  However, that does not explan why it boots sometimes.

Message 34 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

Diags via RAIDar with just one drive shows no issues:

System
No errors found.
Logs
No errors found.

The key is to get it to always boot like this.

Message 35 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

I did a video of the boot information on the monitor when the system boots (a normal boot), and below is what I see right before the login prompt:

Boot on monitor.PNG

Message 36 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

I shut the system down via ReadyCLOUD and unplugged the power cord.  Then using a ground strap I checked all cables inside of the NAS to make sure they were firmly seated.  I did this because I asked Mdgm where if the internal flash was fused to the motherboard.  The response was that mgdm read that it was behind the LED.  The cable that comes out of there goes to the motherboard so I checked those connections.  They were all seated firmly.  I plugged the NAS back in and powered it back on and it just said ReadyNAS on the LCD (shocker) and the USB activity light was not lit. Here is what is seen on the monitor and it just sits here:

Boot on monitor when just says ReadyNAS.PNG

Message 37 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

Comparing the above picture to the very first picture that I posted in my first post, I see this difference:

boot comparison.PNG

Message 38 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

Here is Hardware Health Configuration from the BIOS; note the 3V battery voltage is shown here:

Hardware Health Configuration.PNG

Message 39 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

When I power on the NAS and it wants to just show ReadyNAS on the LCD, I believe I see different things in the BIOS than when it wants to boot.

Here is the USB Configuration.  Not sure why it says 3 drives?  The NAS only has one drive in it and then there is the internal flash.

USB Configuration.PNG

Here is the USB Mass Storage Device:

USB Mass Storage Config.PNG

Here is the Boot Device Priority; note how this time it does not show the hard drive.  Other times I enter the BIOS it shows the hard drive and I can change the boot order for the devices.

Boot priority.PNG

Hard drives screen:

Hard disks seen.PNG

AHCI screen:

AHCI Settings.PNG

Message 40 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

By disabling quick boot, I see the below extra information.  Note how it says the SATA Port 0 hard disk is only 100GB.  The drive in the NAS is 1TB.

Info seen on nonquick boot.PNG

Message 41 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

When the LCD says ReadyNAS and there is all those tick marks going from the left to right, the system is "loading" as shown below.  Note, the dreaded "MBR H" happens when the NAS gets in this state.  See top corner of the picture:

Loading during tick marks.PNG

Message 42 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

There is a red LED lit (always lot solid) on the motherboard next to the memory:

20161110_164914.jpg

20161110_165140.jpg

Message 43 of 74
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It sounds like a hardware issue of some kind. I guess the PSU would be an easy one to check.

Message 44 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

I shut the NAS down and added drive 5 into drive bay 2.  This was another drive that showed no errors.  I did a Factory Reset via the Boot Menu and configured the NAS.  I ran diags via RAIDar and it passed:

System

No errors found.

Logs

No errors found.

I then shut the NAS down and removed both drives and put them away for later when this issue is resolved.  I inserted drive 4 into drive bay 1 and did a Factory Reset.  I picked this drive since it did not have any "spin retries".  It does suffer from this (Disk 4 has 97 Reallocated Sectors), but for the purpose of doing a lot of testing and booting, I believe it will do fine.

The reason that I mentioned the power supply as a potential culprit before is because I had a PC that did something like this before.  I would power on the PC and sometimes it would boot perfectly.  Other times the power button would light up, but nothing happened, not even a POST.  I swapped the power supply and never had that problem again.  Here is the information on the Power Supply:

Power Supply Model.PNG

I do have a power supply tester that can measure the leads after I get the power supply out of the NAS.  It is a really narrow and small power supply so I would not have a spare that would fit. 

Message 45 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

Message 46 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

A new power supply has been ordered via Newegg.  It is the exact same model number and is the same power supply from the same manufacturer.  Stay tuned.

Message 47 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

You will not believe it ... I am pretty sure that it is fixed!  I have done the following tests and they all pass repeatedly:

1. Shutdown the NAS 3 times and then powered it on via the power button on the front of NAS.

2. Shutdown the NAS 3 times, turned off the power button on the back of NAS, waited a little bit and then pressed the power button on the back of the NAS.

3. Rebooted 3 times via ReadyCLOUD.

4. Disconnected the power cord 3 times, let it sit awhile, reconnected power, and then booted the NAS.

So what changed you ask?  I was checking how to install the new power supply, when I saw this for the P5 connector that goes from the power supply to the NAS motherboard:

connector.PNG

See how the top of the connector is not fully connected.  I could not push it in with my hands as it was really tight so I turned the NAS flat on the side (motherboard on the bottom) and used a big flat head screwdriver and pushed it in all the way.  The NAS has booted perfectly every time!  I will get 4 more good drives prepped and installed, but I believe this (the motherboard not getting full power) was the root cause of the issue.  This is turning out to be a happy ending.  The spare power supply was on sale and has already shipped so I will keep that for future use.  I will do one more posting (for completeness) hopefully stating that all is good with 6 drives in the NAS. 

Message 48 of 74
StephenB
Guru

@Yoda1492 wrote:

You will not believe it ... I am pretty sure that it is fixed!  ...

See how the top of the connector is not fully connected.  I could not push it in with my hands as it was really tight so I turned the NAS flat on the side (motherboard on the bottom) and used a big flat head screwdriver and pushed it in all the way. 

Great news (and a good catch to notice it).

Message 49 of 74
Yoda1492
Luminary

The NAS boot issue is resolved.  It has booted every time now.  I want to thank mdgm for fixing the flash issue.  Without that assistance, there was no "Boot Menu" to access.  I also want to thank StephenB and FramerV for their assistance as well.

FYI - the first group of 6 drives that I tried showed 4 perfect drives and two drives with these issues:

System
Disk 3 has 2 Reallocated Sectors
Disk 3 has 2 Reallocation Events
Disk 3 has 1 Command Timeouts
Disk 4 has 10 Spin Retries

I will ditch disk 4 for sure and determine how disk 3 compares to my other spare drives.  I have more disks to test, but with 6 drives in the NAS, I can say with certainty that the NAS is working as designed.  One bummer on this is most of these disk drives had the 5 year warranty and that all ended in February of this year.  Lesson learned, work the problem right away. Again, thanks for the great support!

Message 50 of 74
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 73 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements