× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 2 - blue light keeps blinking

RDenben
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro 2 - blue light keeps blinking

I have a ReadyNAS Pro 2. Everything was working fine until I tried to reboot. Now, on reboot, I get a solid blue light that turns flashing. The flashing light continues flashing and does not stop. RAIDar recognized the machine, but says it is "offline" when attempting to access setup. It just continues to flash blue. I have attempted to rebooted sever times with the same result. I attempted to remove one disk then reboot, with the same result (tried with each disk).
Message 1 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 2 - blue light keeps blinking

What do you see in the Info (far right) column in RAIDar?
Message 2 of 20
RDenben
Aspirant

the far right column just says 6.1.7
Message 3 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried an OS re-install?
Message 4 of 20
RDenben
Aspirant

I'd like to try to see if this is a hardware problem before reinstalling the OS. When I do a memory check the lights flash in a continuous cycle. Is there a key to the light patterns for these tests?
Message 5 of 20
vandermerwe
Master

The OS reinstall preserves data and is straightforward. It's certainly less risky than some of the things you've already tried like pulling disks and booting.
You should test all your disks with vendor tools as well.
Message 6 of 20
RDenben
Aspirant

I went through the OS re-install.
I also tried the check disk

I also rebooted with "Disk test". The information indicator in RAIDar indicated the disk test was running, and then after a long time RAIDar returned to displaying the OS information. How do I know the result of this "disk test"?

If this were a single disk failure, shouldn't the NAS provide some notification of that and allow a disk swap? This seems to be the purpose of RAID?
Message 7 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Did you try directly accessing the NAS admin page using its IP address? Does it reply to ping?
RDenben wrote:
I also rebooted with "Disk test". The information indicator in RAIDar indicated the disk test was running, and then after a long time RAIDar returned to displaying the OS information. How do I know the result of this "disk test"?...
Your hardware manual is here: http://www.readynas.com/download/docume ... pril11.pdf

Note the sentence on page 12:
Disk test. Performs an offline full disk test. This can take 4 hours or more, depending on the size of your disks. Any problems are reported in the RAIDar discovery tool.

Do you have a scratch disk you can try? If so, maybe power down, remove the two existing drives (labeling them by slow), then install the scratch. That should attempt a factory install - if it succeeds, then your chassis is fine. If the chassis has failed, then you are probably in a tough spot if you can't reinstall OS 4 somehow.
Message 8 of 20
RDenben
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply

StephenB wrote:
Did you try directly accessing the NAS admin page using its IP address? Does it reply to ping?

Yes, it replies to a ping. In fact, I can access the files through windows (RAIDar's "browse" option).

StephenB wrote:
Do you have a scratch disk you can try? If so, maybe power down, remove the two existing drives (labeling them by slow), then install the scratch. That should attempt a factory install - if it succeeds, then your chassis is fine. If the chassis has failed, then you are probably in a tough spot if you can't reinstall OS 4 somehow.

I don't have an extra drive. I can buy one, but would like to go through other troubleshooting before buying another drive. The files

Thanks again
Message 9 of 20
StephenB
Guru

It's good that you can access the files. That also means that your chassis is ok - so there's no need to try a scratch drive.

If you don't have a backup, then you should make one right away.

After that, try connecting to the NAS web page using its IP address - https://nasipaddress/admin Let us know if that is still off line.
Message 10 of 20
RDenben
Aspirant

Thanks. It shows offline when accessing the admin page
Message 11 of 20
StephenB
Guru

And you have a backup?
Message 12 of 20
RDenben
Aspirant

No, I am attempting to backup now
Message 13 of 20
RDenben
Aspirant

The files show up in Windows when entering the IP in Explorer, but they cannot be copied because of permission problems. Windows cannot "take ownership" of these files because of permission problems.
Message 14 of 20
StephenB
Guru

What credentials are you using? Try "admin" with the NAS admin password.
Message 15 of 20
RDenben
Aspirant

Windows does not ask for credentials when I try to copy the files on the NAS. It just responds that "access is denied"
Message 16 of 20
StephenB
Guru

RDenben wrote:
Windows does not ask for credentials when I try to copy the files on the NAS. It just responds that "access is denied"
By default it presents your windows logon.

Try opening a cmd box (enter "cmd" in the bar in the start menu).

Then
net use * /delete
net use T: \\nasipaddress\data /user:admin password
where password is the NAS admin password. Also "data" is the default name of the data volume. If you named it differently, substitute the name you chose.

That should mount the volume to the T drive letter on the PC.
Message 17 of 20
RDenben
Aspirant

meanwhile, I followed the advice of mdgm and reinstalled the firmware. Now, RAIDar indicated "Disk(s) contain data", but the files are no longer accessible in Windows. The device can still be pinged
Message 18 of 20
RDenben
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
RDenben wrote:
By default it presents your windows logon.

Try opening a cmd box (enter "cmd" in the bar in the start menu).

Then
net use * /delete
net use T: \\nasipaddress\data /user:admin password
where password is the NAS admin password. Also "data" is the default name of the data volume. If you named it differently, substitute the name you chose.

That should mount the volume to the T drive letter on the PC.

I was able to delete the remote entries, but when trying to establish them with the "net use" command, Windows responded that "multiple connections to a server or shared resource....are not allowed" I verified that there are no entries when attempting to run "net use * /delete"
Message 19 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

RDenben wrote:
meanwhile, I followed the advice of mdgm and reinstalled the firmware. Now, RAIDar indicated "Disk(s) contain data", but the files are no longer accessible in Windows. The device can still be pinged

Sent you a PM
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements