× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 2 running 9.6.9 fans surge

funglenn
Luminary

ReadyNAS Pro 2 running 9.6.9 fans surge

I have installed OS 9.6.9 on my ReadyNas Pro 2 and upgraded the memory. It runs solid and does not have any performance issues.  

However I moved it to a new location, where i can hear the fans going. They are fully controllable (quiet, balanced, cool) and report their RPMs properly.   The problem is they seem to surge powerful then fewer RPMs--not really based on temperature.  Temp however is at 90 degrees centrigrade for the CPU--is that high? The surges seem to last 3-4 seconds, then come back every few seconds or minutes. very odd and rebooting does nothing. 

It was recently factory reset and still has these issues. one hard drive in it, a WD 8 GB Red. 

any thoughts on what could causeing the fan surge? a bad fan seems odd since it is not overheating and never stops or slows. temp floats between 80 and 90 normally. 

Model: RNDP2110|ReadyNAS Pro 2 1TB (1 x 1TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

90°C is pretty high for the CPU.  My Pro2 CPU runs at about 54°C.  The Atom D525 is rated for a junction temperature (what I assume it reports, since there is no case temp spec) of 100°C, so you aren't over that, but I can understand the NAS trying to lower it.

I have noticed that the ReadyNAS fan control for CPU temperature does not seem to have proper hysteresis on legacy systems, while the control based on system temperature is much better.  It's a shame they don't give us more control.

Message 2 of 9
funglenn
Luminary

anyone have any thoughts? the system never locks up although runs slowly--which is more a function of the atom processor. 

However the surging fans is odd--could the fans be dying? The system does respond to changes in quiet, balanced, cool options--the speed up (still surging every few minutes) and also of note is the CPU and system temp do come down as well.  

people talk about installing ToggleSwitchProCPUFan_1.0-x86.bin  --but i cannot find it, nor do i know if it is relevant for me running 6.10.3 on a ReadyNAS Pro 2.    Others talk about installing fancontrol but i am unsure if it is relevant in 6.10 as this was discussed years ago with 6.4 or so...

any thoughts?

Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

The CPU fan toggle was only for OS4.2.x and Pro6 units that had an atypical fan configuration.

Unfortunately, the hysteresis and speed step sizes in OS6 fan control are not optimal for legacy systems, especially with regard to CPU temperature.  CPU temperature can be less than accurate, especially at the low end, where it sometimes plateaus.  It is a shame Netgear doesn't give us more control over them.

First thing is to make sure there is no dust, etc build-up in the unit.  I'm not sure where the system temp sensor is on a Pro2, but anything coating it can be problematic.  Insure the fan is clean, too, so it spins consistently.  If using compressed air to clean the fan, don't let it free-wheel -- it can damage the bearings.  Use something to keep it from rotating.

Replacing the thermal compound between the CPU and heat sync may help.

Something amiss in the fan control circuit, which could include the RPM sensor in the fan itself, could also be a contributor.

Message 4 of 9
funglenn
Luminary

thank you for laying it out so succinctly-- my unit is completely dust free--although i have never heard that about keeping the fans from spinning--i will def do that from now on.   My thoughts are the fan--what is the model of the pro2 fan--would love to replace with a Noctua but there seems to be a debate on 120mm or 80mmm,

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@funglenn wrote:

My thoughts are the fan--what is the model of the pro2 fan--would love to replace with a Noctua but there seems to be a debate on 120mm or 80mm

Not sure what you mean by debate on the size - the size is what it is.

The hardware manual says the pro-2 has a 92 mm chassis fan- see page 26 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_NVX_Pro_HW_en_8July11....

Per other posts here, the original is a Delta AFB0912HH.  Specs are here if you want to match them: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/delta-electronics/AFB0912HH/603-1065-ND/1014396

The Noctua NF-A9 PWM appears to be the closest Noctua, but it's CFM is lower (about 46 CFM, compared to 57.9 in the Delta)

Message 6 of 9
funglenn
Luminary

one last question - 3 pin or 4 pin?

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@funglenn wrote:

one last question - 3 pin or 4 pin?

I don't own a Pro-2.  The Delta fan specs say it is 4 pin, but the old forum post on this says 3 pin.  

Hopefully a Pro-2 or Ultra-2 user will chime in. You could of course open the chassis and look - it would be useful to others to clarify this.

But I believe you can plug a 4-pin fan to a 3-pin motherboard (using an adapter).  Fan speed control won't be as good, but it still would be varied.  @Sandshark might be able able to confirm this.

FWIW, a casual google search suggested that if you want to reduce the noise you will need to go with a fan that has a lower CFM.  At least all the ones I found with similar CFM specs had the same noise spec as the delta.  You might be able to get away with a lower CFM (depending in part on your disk choices, and the ambient room temperature).  But keep an eye on the temps for a while if you do this.

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

The Pro2, Ultra2, and DuoV2 all use a 92mm 3-pin fan.  Using a 4-pin fan will work on some fans, but not so much on others.  One typical issue is the stall (aka minimum) speed, since a 4-pin fan is intended to run on 12V all the time, not the variable voltage provided for a 3-pin one.  For proper NAS fan control, I recommend sticking with a 3-pin one.  Of course, stall speed can also be an issue for any fan if you replace with a different model, since that's not a spec that's typically easy to find.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements