× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 4 — ERR: Could not properly extract [Resolved]

Kalessin
Initiate

ReadyNAS Pro 4 — ERR: Could not properly extract [Resolved]

I started a factory default boot to reset all my settings and wipe the disks. When I next looked at the LCD on the front of the device, it was showing:

ReadyNAS Pro 4 wrote:
ERR: Could not p
Create C: 23%

It turns out that this message was originally:

ReadyNAS Pro 4 wrote:
ERR: Could not p
roperly extract

but subsequent status messages had overwritten the second line. When it reached 100%, the device status changed to "Booting..." and it never changed. I left it for several hours, just to make sure.

Over the next few days, I Googled and I searched kb.netgear.com, and there were few details as to what might have caused the problem, let alone how to fix it. Google kept pointing at this forum, but there were a bunch of people with the same issue as me, who got PM'd by mdgm and their problems magically went away. With other avenues apparently exhausted, I decided I would try this mysterious solution, and PM'd mdgm first.

Within a day my ReadyNAS Pro was working perfectly again. I even received some cautionary advice on the potential pitfalls of my current configuration, which I now have the opportunity to resolve before any damage is done to my data.

I would like to thank the members of this forum for making it exist, the people who reported the same problem as me previously which led me to a solution, and especially mdgm, who gave up a considerable amount of personal time in order to help out some stranger online.

You're all awesome.

:worship:
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 4 — ERR: Could not properly extract [Resolv

Just a man.

Glad I could help.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just a man.

Glad I could help.
Message 2 of 10
bcurran3
Aspirant

I too have this exact problem. I'm staring at ERR: Could not p Create C: right now. 

Could someone please share with me the magical fix that doesn't seem to be posted publically?

Message 3 of 10
Pavol
Tutor

It looks like there are multiple people facing this same problem, including myself. Could someone please post the solution? Thanks.

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Usually when mdgm does a PM he is arranging to do some remote troubleshooting.

More than likely your flash is corrupted.  If you are the original purchaser, paid Netgear support is one way forward.  Trying to fix it yourself could do more damage.

Message 5 of 10
Pavol
Tutor

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 — ERR: Could not properly extract

All my problems started after I got an email from netgear about a new firmware available. So I updated the firmware, and my NAS that has been working for nearly 3 years was turned into a brick.

Since my ultra 4 is still under warranty, I contacted the support. After 7 days of going back and forth, somehow their conclusion is that the unit is functional, and they will do no more troubleshooting for me unless I pay money for support. Apparently I only have hardware warranty remaining, but not support warranty.

I really don't understand how they interpret the word 'functional'. If the unit was functional, I assume I should be able to plugin in a brand-new drive, perform a factory default reset, and I should get a working NAS? Instead I get the 'could not properly extract' error, and then the 'booting...' message forever. And I get the same error with 5 different drives, including one that used to work in the unit for nearly 3 years.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem myself? Is there a way I could re-flash the firmware manually via telnet in tech-support mode? I also keep reading something about usb boot recovery - should I try that?

Message 6 of 10
Pavol
Tutor

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 — ERR: Could not properly extract

In my previous post I meant to say 1 year, instead of 3 years. Sorry about that.

Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Pavol wrote:

All my problems started after I got an email from netgear about a new firmware available. So I updated the firmware, and my NAS that has been working for nearly 3 years was turned into a brick.

This particular problem would only be run into when doing a factory reset, not simply by doing a firmware update. For most users a factory reset would work fine, but in some rare cases this problem may be run into.

@Pavol wrote:

Since my ultra 4 is still under warranty, I contacted the support. After 7 days of going back and forth, somehow their conclusion is that the unit is functional, and they will do no more troubleshooting for me unless I pay money for support. Apparently I only have hardware warranty remaining, but not support warranty. 

I have arranged for your case to be reviewed. I believe support has now suggested that you try USB Boot Recovery.

@Pavol wrote:

I really don't understand how they interpret the word 'functional'. If the unit was functional, I assume I should be able to plugin in a brand-new drive, perform a factory default reset, and I should get a working NAS? Instead I get the 'could not properly extract' error, and then the 'booting...' message forever. And I get the same error with 5 different drives, including one that used to work in the unit for nearly 3 years.

I agree.

@Pavol wrote:

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem myself? Is there a way I could re-flash the firmware manually via telnet in tech-support mode? I also keep reading something about usb boot recovery - should I try that?

Support can fix many different problems remotely using that low-level diagnostic mode, but if you don't know what you're doing you can create new problems.

As support has suggested this is one of just a few problems where it is appropriate to try USB Boot Recovery. However there is a possible side effect of this, which would mean that remote access to your NAS would be needed.

Message 8 of 10
Pavol
Tutor

Thank you mdgm for your help!!! I really appreciate it.

The tech support contacted me, and with their instructions, combined with the instructions in your PM I got the unit working again, with a small caviat... 🙂

After I did the factory default reset, I was able to get into the front view and start configuring things (like date/password/etc), but at some point I noticed that the LCD screen on the unit itself is displaying some weird/non-readable characters. Some of them are updating every few seconds or so, and since one of the drive's status in frontview says 'syncing' I assume it's supposed to be displaying the syncing progress, but it is all garbled up.

So I did a shutdown from frontview, and the LCD changed to a readable message (I think it said 'shutting down'?). Then I decided to do another factory default reset, for a good measure, but eventually I ended up with the same garbled up LCD message/status. I'll let the drive finish syncing and then see if that disappears eventually. It does not really bother me all that much, unless it's an indicator of a more serious problem down the road...

Again, thank you very much for your help!

Pavol

Message 9 of 10
Pavol
Tutor

A quick update: after the raid sync was done, I rebooted the unit and the LCD is readable again. I finally have a working NAS box again 🙂 Thanks mdgm!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements