× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 4 [X-RAID2] looses connection to LAN repeatedly after update to RAIDiator 4.2.31

der_ger
Guide

ReadyNAS Pro 4 [X-RAID2] looses connection to LAN repeatedly after update to RAIDiator 4.2.31

My Ready NAS Pro 4 looses accessability from the local LAN on transfer of larger amounts of data. A factory reset did not solve the problem. Restoring data from an USB-Disk works.

My ReadyNAS Pro 4 ist connected to my LAN via a Netgear WNR 3500L just used as a switch, the router and DNS-server is a Maipu-Modem. This configuration worked quite well for 2 years. About four or five month ago my NAS startet to loose connection to the LAN in an increasing frequency. The only way to reconnect the NAS is to manually shut it down and restart it. Update to firmware RAIDiator 4.2.31 did not help, but made the situation even worse. The ReadyNAS stays connected for even days when there is only small data traffic. Copying larger amounts of data (like an amount > 2 GB pictures from a camera storage card) will work for a while (some minutes) and then suddenly the NAS will hide, so that the connection is lost and data transfer is interrupted. Not even the admin-account of the NAS can be reached or connected then unless the NAS is manually shut down (power off) and restarted.

There are no further apps installed or used on the NAS.

I've already posted this topic once, but factory reset did not help. Can anyone help me? I'm just a basic user with no great experience in setting up networks or things like that. So please explain on a very basic level for me.

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 4 [X-RAID2] looses connection to LAN repeatedly after update to RAIDiator 4.2.31

The next time it happens, can you try disconnecting the ethernet cable from the NAS, and then reconnecting it?  You should then see the IP address show up again on the NAS LCD display.  Then try accessing the NAS again (without rebooting).

Message 2 of 10
der_ger
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 4 [X-RAID2] looses connection to LAN repeatedly after update to RAIDiator 4.2.31

Hello,

I tried it, but this does not work. When the NAS gets inaccessible the IP-Adress remains displayed, only when disconnecting the LAN-cable it says, that there is no LAN connected. After dis- and reconnecting the IP-Adress ist shown again.

A fixed IP4-adress is assigned to the NAS by the router by using the MAC-adress of the NAS. The same IP4-adress is filled in as a value in the NAS setup menue.

Only powering the NAS off and switching it on again makes the NAS accessible again.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Can you confirmed that you did a factory reset (destroying your data), and that didn't help?  Or did you actually do an OS reinstall (which does not destroy your data)?

Also did you try the second NIC port on the Pro?

Message 4 of 10
der_ger
Guide

- Can you confirmed that you did a factory reset (destroying your data), and that didn't help? Hello StephenB: I definitely did a factory reset triggered from the settings-menue of the admin account. I had to type in "FACTORY" to confirm the reset. All data, settings and shares were deleted or reset. The NAS was accessible after the reset without any further problems. The available disk space was appoximately 10 GB smaller after the reset (snapshot function reseving 10 GB of data space was switched on before and after reset). You told me problems could result from a full operating partition, that's why I performed the factory reset. - Or did you actually do an OS reinstall (which does not destroy your data)? I faced some troubles to reinstall the OS, actually I failed to do so. I tried to reinstall the OS, as I suspected the update toRAIDiator 4.2.31 had some troubles, but any further attempt to reinstall the OS was refused, as the system told me that this already is the accurate version of the OS. So how to reinstall the OS by the way? - Also did you try the second NIC port on the Pro? This is defintely worth a try!
Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Thx, I wanted to make sure I didn't send you in circles.  The NIC ports often fail together, but it is worth trying.  There are some issues that only show up on one port (connector problems for instance).

@der_ger wrote:
So how to reinstall the OS by the way? 

The reinstall procedure is page 21-22 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_NVX_Pro_HW_en_8July11.p...

Message 6 of 10
bedlam1
Prodigy

Have you considered upgrading your Pro 4 to latest OS 6 (since you have already factory defaulted and presumably have a full data backup)

Search the forum on how to do this

Message 7 of 10
der_ger
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

The reinstall procedure is page 21-22 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_NVX_Pro_HW_en_8July11.p...

I will try this. I did the update via update file (so I downloaded  RAIDiator 4.2.31 and saved it as a file), but i fear that this file is defective and so reinstalling the OS like instructed on page 21-22 from the NAS might not help. How can I make the NAS use a new OS-File?

Message 8 of 10
der_ger
Guide

@bedlam1 wrote:

Have you considered upgrading your Pro 4 to latest OS 6 (since you have already factory defaulted and presumably have a full data backup)

Search the forum on how to do this

Yes, I consider to upgrade to OS 6, but as this version is not not supported by the support, I will try to do anything else before upgrading to OS 6

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

The OS reinstall procedure I referenced reinstalls selected OS files stored on the disk(s) from the flash memory of the NAS.  No file upload is involved.  It will also reset the admin password to netgear1 and will reset your IP configuration to use DHCP. 

If you use NIC bonding, I think it would also disable that.  So if you do use bonding you should probably disconnect one of the ethernet connections before you do the OS reinstall.

The boot menu procedure is different from over-installing the NAS firmware through the web ui - which does need you to upload firmware from your PC, and which doesn't change the admin password or the IP configuration.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements