× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 4 [X-RAID2] looses connection to LAN repeatedly maby cause update to RAIDiator 4.2.31

der_ger
Guide

ReadyNAS Pro 4 [X-RAID2] looses connection to LAN repeatedly maby cause update to RAIDiator 4.2.31

My ReadyNAS Pro 4 ist connected to my LAN via a Netgear WNR 3500L just used as a switch, the router and DNS-server is a Maipu-Modem. This configuration worked quite well for 2 years. About two or three month ago my NAS startet to loose connection to the LAN in an increasing frequency. The only way to reconnect the NAS is to manually shut it down and restart it. Update to firmware RAIDiator 4.2.31 did not help, but made the situation even worse. The ReadyNAS now only stays connected for a few minutes before it hides itself again. Data transfer especially writing data seems to accelerate the disconnection. Can anyone help me? I'm just a basic user with no great experience in setting up networks or things like that. So please explain on a very basic level for me.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 4 [X-RAID2] looses connection to LAN repeatedly maby cause update to RAIDiator 4.2.

@der_ger wrote:
For SSH I will check as soon as I'm back home, but as there is no web-access activated I guess SSH is not enabled.

With OS 4.2 you'd have needed to install an add-on to enable ssh.

Based on your symptoms, I suspect that your OS partition is getting full.  This is a 4 GB partition on the hard drives that you normally can't access.  The NAS boots from it, and if it fills one symptom is that you will start losing connections.  The firmware update might have contributed also, since the firmware update process does create temporary files on the OS partition (that perhaps weren't deleted).

Usually the OS fullness issue is also provoked by add-ons (including ReadyDLNA).  Though that isn't your situation, I still think that we need to rule out OS fullness.

Overall, you have a choice to make.  One option is to contact Netgear paid support (my.netgear.com), asking for per-incident support.  They can easily fix OS fullness, and if there is something different going on, they can isolate quickly (remotely).

Another option is for you to try to fix it yourself.  That would require use of Linux shell commands (via ssh).  If you aren't familiar with linux commands already, then this probably isn't a good option for you.

Either way, it would be prudent to back up the data on your NAS.   There is some risk of data loss.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 4 [X-RAID2] looses connection to LAN repeatedly maby cause update to RAIDiator 4.2.

Do you have any add-ons installed on the NAS? 

Do you use ReadyDLNA?

Is SSH enabled?

Message 2 of 6
der_ger
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

Do you have any add-ons installed on the NAS? --> No

Do you use ReadyDLNA? --> No

Is SSH enabled? --> No

The NAS is simply used as a web-Storage, not even individual shares are activated. There is no remote access to the NAS from outside the LAN activated. For SSH I will check as soon as I'm back home, but as there is no web-access activated I guess SSH is not enabled.

Thx

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@der_ger wrote:
For SSH I will check as soon as I'm back home, but as there is no web-access activated I guess SSH is not enabled.

With OS 4.2 you'd have needed to install an add-on to enable ssh.

Based on your symptoms, I suspect that your OS partition is getting full.  This is a 4 GB partition on the hard drives that you normally can't access.  The NAS boots from it, and if it fills one symptom is that you will start losing connections.  The firmware update might have contributed also, since the firmware update process does create temporary files on the OS partition (that perhaps weren't deleted).

Usually the OS fullness issue is also provoked by add-ons (including ReadyDLNA).  Though that isn't your situation, I still think that we need to rule out OS fullness.

Overall, you have a choice to make.  One option is to contact Netgear paid support (my.netgear.com), asking for per-incident support.  They can easily fix OS fullness, and if there is something different going on, they can isolate quickly (remotely).

Another option is for you to try to fix it yourself.  That would require use of Linux shell commands (via ssh).  If you aren't familiar with linux commands already, then this probably isn't a good option for you.

Either way, it would be prudent to back up the data on your NAS.   There is some risk of data loss.

Message 4 of 6
der_ger
Guide

At first many thanks for Your advice.

Before I started a new topic in the netgear community, I've looked up the other topics, but I couldn't find any description fitting my situation. Indeed - with the ReadyNas NVX operation modes of the LAN-switches were discussed but in that case the problems should have started two years ago with the change of the router and the LAN-setup.

Your description seems to be the most feasible one to me, as th NAS is permanently in operation since 2010, so this means 57160 hours or 78 month of harddisk-operation time with only 117 start-stop counts. Thats plenty of time to fill the hidden 4 GB operation partition with lots of operation protocols and other temporary stuff.

I decide not to try anything on my own, but to use the per-incident support. But there are two things which I will do first:

1. I'll perform a complete data-backup of all the stuff on the NAS to an USB-harddisk-drive, which is right now ongoing. Robot Very Happy

2. I think I should change the harddisks, becaus 6 1/2 years is quite a long operation period. Cat Happy

So, by the way, what is the maximum disk-capacity per disk recommended for the Ready NAS Pro 4 right now? 4 TB or 6 TB? Can You give me some advice please.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, if it is a full OS partition, then doing a factory reset and restoring the data from backup would also solve it.

@der_ger wrote:

So, by the way, what is the maximum disk-capacity per disk recommended for the Ready NAS Pro 4 right now? 4 TB or 6 TB? Can You give me some advice please.

That depends partly on how you get there (expansion or factory reset).

There are two limits to expansion - one is that a volume can't go over 16 TiB, the other is that a volume can't grow by more than 8 TiB.  The first limit sets the max to 4x5TB if all disks are of equal size.

You can go larger if you do a factory reset with all disks of the same size.  But you won't be able to expand that volume.  I believe even 4x10TB will work in that scenario.

It is also possible to convert the pro to use OS 6 instead of OS 4.2.  OS 6 has no known expansion limits.  The process does require a factory reset, and it is not supported by Netgear.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements