× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 4 - error message hot swapping 1TB disk for dead 3TB disk

tjames
Follower

ReadyNAS Pro 4 - error message hot swapping 1TB disk for dead 3TB disk

I have a single disk failure in a 4x3TB X-RAID2 system.  I am not using anywhere near the space provided by this ( using < 500GB ), so when the disk failed, I thought I would replace the 3TB disk with a 1TB disk and save some money.  I have already replaced every drive in the system at least once since I've owned the unit, basically meaning I am wasting money ont he exra drive space.

Currently, the volume is not protected (I have all the data backed up in another location for safety sake).

I took out the dead 3TB drive and inserted the new 1TB drive.  I got an error stating that the drive is too small.

I'd appreciate any pointers getting this addressed.

Additional notes - this is not a high availibilty system, it's at home and I am the only user, so multiple reboots are no issue for me.  Also, I am on RAIDar 4.2.27, and I am aware there is one last update to 4.2.28.  Haven't applied it yet until I get this problem fixed.

Model: RNDP4000 (ReadyNAS Pro 4)|ReadyNAS® Pro 4 System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
lundmilo
Luminary

@tjames wrote:

I have a single disk failure in a 4x3TB X-RAID2 system.  I am not using anywhere near the space provided by this ( using < 500GB ), so when the disk failed, I thought I would replace the 3TB disk with a 1TB disk and save some money.  I have already replaced every drive in the system at least once since I've owned the unit, basically meaning I am wasting money ont he exra drive space.

Currently, the volume is not protected (I have all the data backed up in another location for safety sake).

I took out the dead 3TB drive and inserted the new 1TB drive.  I got an error stating that the drive is too small.

Additional notes - this is not a high availibilty system, it's at home and I am the only user, so multiple reboots are no issue for me.  Also, I am on RAIDar 4.2.27, and I am aware there is one last update to 4.2.28.  Haven't applied it yet until I get this problem fixed.

You can't replace a disc with a smaller one. It doesn't matter how much data is stored on the NAS. It is the actual size of the volume. X-RAID only supports replaceing drive with same size or larger capacity discs.

If you want to use the 1 TB drive you have to do a factory default with just the 1 TB drive installed and then add the other drives.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
lundmilo
Luminary

@tjames wrote:

You can't replace a disc with a smaller one. It doesn't matter how much data is stored on the NAS. It is the actual size of the volume. X-RAID only supports replaceing drive with same size or larger capacity discs.

If you want to use the 1 TB drive you have to do a factory default with just the 1 TB drive installed and then add the other drives.

Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Actually when doing a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) you can have mixed capacity disks installed. It will wipe all the disks, format them and create the array.

With 1x1TB and 3x3TB installed on factory default it would first create a 4x1TB RAID-5 layer and then add a 3x2TB RAID-5 layer to expand the volume.

It's when you don't want to do a factory reset that the capacity of the disk you add relative to other disks is important.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements