× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6: Failed drive still showing in RAID Volume, won't accept new drive

thinksinc
Apprentice

ReadyNAS Pro 6: Failed drive still showing in RAID Volume, won't accept new drive

I had a disk fail (Bay 6) in a ReadyNAS Pro 6, which has happened before. My volume is configured as a RAID Level X-RAID2, with six 4TB drives.

I purchased a same-size new drive, and went through the normal hot-swap replacement process. I've done this before and the new drive is always automatically accepted and the Volume is rebuilt to use the new drive as expected.

However, instead of the system recognizing a drive has been replaced, it did not respond at all. In fact, it still showed the old/dead drive listed in the RAIDiator interface, even though that drive had physically been removed and replaced. See attached screenshot.

I tried restarting the device a couple of times with the new replacement drive in Bay 6 (triple-checking to make sure it was properly seated in the chassis), and also tried removing the new drive and leaving Bay 6 empty when rebooting.

Unfortunately, the old/dead drive is still showing in Bay 6, even though that drive is currently physically empty.

How can I force the ReadyNAS Pro 6 to recognize that the dead drive has been removed from the Volume, and accept the new drive I have ready for it?

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6: Failed drive still showing in RAID Volume, won't accept new drive

Maybe start by confirming that the bay is ok.

Power down, and remove all disks (labeling by slot). 

Then insert the new disk in slot 1 and power up.  It should do a factory install.

After the install completes, power down and move that disk to slot 6.  Power up again, and see if it boots.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements