× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 – lost admin password

Retired_Member
Not applicable

ReadyNAS Pro 6 – lost admin password

I started to do the Netgear MyNETGEAR single sign-on account migration (one ring account) and after doing the update I went to my NAS to upgrade to 6.5 (current 6.4.1).  The password I had for admin does not work and honestly can't remember changing it ever. I did try about 6-7 things it could be (in the event of drunk admininning) but none work. Defaults don't work (netgear1 or password).

Password reset does not work, thinking it might be that my email out password in the account I used is stale as I changed it a while back and probably forgot to update. I just get failed.

RAIDar sees the device, says healthly and I can see all the files on the device so that is good.

Any ideas?

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6310v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kiddude,

The OS reinstall procedure only resets the administrator password and IP settings, to defaults. Just ensure that it will be done correctly. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kiddude,

Try other web browsers or different browser mode like 'incognito' and 'private' browsing. If it still won't work, the last thing you can do is to perform OS reinstall.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No luck with the different browers or modes. It looks like an OS reinstall. One question. Is an OS reinstalla complete wipe of the system and I need to pull everything off or can it be done without inpact on the data?

Message 3 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kiddude,

The OS reinstall procedure only resets the administrator password and IP settings, to defaults. Just ensure that it will be done correctly. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the feedback so far. I did find the instructions online (included for future reference): 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21107

Only thing is this PRO 6 is running OS 6.4.1. The documentation reads that this going to pull the firmware from the internal flash to the disks but wouldn't that going back to 4.x.x firmware so it would be incompatable?

Karl

Message 5 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kiddude,

Yes, that link is accurate and this procedure should go smoothly. With regard to your other question, the Firmware should stay at 6.4.1.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kiddude,

Did everything went well?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you that worked!

One quick question. What is the Recovery Email Address on the password admin page? Should I put in my password to future protect against this?

Karl

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

One quick question. What is the Recovery Email Address on the password admin page? Should I put in my password to future protect against this?

If you forget the password, and then answer the security questions, the NAS is supposed to email the password to that address.  

One possibility is simply to tape a label on the NAS somewhere that has the admin password - perhaps inside the door.  Normally that's not good practice, but anyone who steals the NAS can do an OS reinstall and reset the password anyway.  So I see little harm.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements