× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 not rebuilding raid after entering new disk

JS78
Aspirant

I have two WD red 8TB disk laying around, shoud I put these in before or after the update to OS6?

Message 26 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@JS78 wrote:

I have two WD red 8TB disk laying around, shoud I put these in before or after the update to OS6?

I'm not sure.  There is a lot of resync time if you add them incrementally (either before or after conversion), and expansion will likely fail if you add them before.

I'm temped to modify the usual instructions to power down after installing r4tor6 bin installing the r4tor6 bin, and then put in the disks you want and power up.  I think that will build the new data volume just once.  But of course the r4tor6 process needs to complete (so perhaps leave disk 1 alone).

But wait and see if @mdgm-ntgr chimes in - he might have different advice.

Message 27 of 33
JS78
Aspirant

The weirdest thing just happened I entered one of my new 8TB drives instead of the one I'd already tried replacing of the same make and type. All of a sudden the rebuilding of the raid array started again....

very strange...

Message 28 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@JS78 wrote:

All of a sudden the rebuilding of the raid array started again....

Good news, though it does point towards an issue with the replacement drive.

Message 29 of 33
JS78
Aspirant

I just tried to run the update to OS6. I am getting a checksum error on the second payload (R4toR6_6.6.0.bin). Any ideas what that might be?

Message 30 of 33
StephenB
Guru

Try the download again from here: https://www.readynas.com/contributed/mdgm/r4tor6/

You might as well use R4toR6_latest.bin as all these images look like mdgm updated them to installl 6.6.1.  He usually does that every new firmware release.

Message 31 of 33
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please download the R4toR6 image again and try it again.

All the R4toR6 images in that directory at this time point to the same R4toR6 image.

When making the R4toR6 6.6.1 image I accidentally put the R4toR6 header for 6.6.0 on it. That's why the checksum didn't match. I have just fixed that by preparing a new image.

Message 32 of 33
JS78
Aspirant

And we are all up and running on the new OS!

Building the array now

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements