× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 6 on readyos v6.10.6 no frontview on boot

J_Malmlund
Tutor

ReadyNAS Pro 6 on readyos v6.10.6 no frontview on boot

First of all let me right of the bat start by acknowledge that I'm aware I'm running "unsupported" software on legacy hardware.

My setup has been working good for years and years since I due to security concerns and the limitations of the old v4.x.x got new hard drives and upgraded to ReadyNAS OS v6 around versions 6.2.x.

I've been running on this old trusty ReadyNAS Pro 6, updating one OS release at a time for a long time and not really caring that at some point an OS update broke the startup sequence somehow. 

For some unknown reason the apache2 service doesn't properly start on boot, so no Frontview.

● apache2.service - The Apache HTTP Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) since ons 2021-12-01 02:16:19 EET; 3min 18s ago
  Process: 4867 ExecStop=/usr/sbin/apachectl stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 4757 ExecStop=/frontview/bin/fvapps (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 3152 (code=killed, signal=SEGV)

dec 01 02:16:18 ReadyNAS-2 systemd[1]: Starting The Apache HTTP Server...
dec 01 02:16:19 ReadyNAS-2 apachectl[4751]: AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 192.168.66.101. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress t
his message
dec 01 02:16:19 ReadyNAS-2 apachectl[4751]: httpd (pid 4640) already running
dec 01 02:16:19 ReadyNAS-2 apachectl[4867]: AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 192.168.66.101. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress t
his message
dec 01 02:16:19 ReadyNAS-2 systemd[1]: Started The Apache HTTP Server.

So, ssh in to the server, and quickly types 'sudo service apache2 restart' and voila, 

● apache2.service - The Apache HTTP Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since ons 2021-12-01 02:21:11 EET; 3min 37s ago
  Process: 5372 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/apachectl start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 5265 ExecStartPre=/frontview/bin/fvapps (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 5380 (/usr/sbin/apach)
   CGroup: /system.slice/apache2.service
           ├─5380 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─5381 apache_log               
           ├─5382 apache_log               
           ├─5398 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─5399 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─5400 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─5401 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─5402 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─5403 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─5414 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─5415 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─5416 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─5503 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           └─5549 /frontview/lib/dbbroker.cgi

dec 01 02:21:11 ReadyNAS-2 systemd[1]: Starting The Apache HTTP Server...
dec 01 02:21:11 ReadyNAS-2 apachectl[5372]: AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 192.168.66.101. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress t
his message
dec 01 02:21:11 ReadyNAS-2 apache2[5376]: [ssl:warn] [pid 5376] AH01909: 192.168.66.101:443:0 server certificate does NOT include an ID which matches the server name
dec 01 02:21:11 ReadyNAS-2 systemd[1]: Started The Apache HTTP Server.

Strange thing is that I haven't found any other issues. Network shares and really every other add-on I've installed works on boot so it's not a big issue, just an annoyance but if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them! 🤔

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 on readyos v6.10.6 no frontview on boot

Not a lot of clues here.  You might want to search through all the log files and see if there is more information on what is killing apache.  It might be one of the add-ons/apps (including ones you uninstalled that might not have uninstalled correctly).

The brute-force "fix" is to back up the files, do a factory default, rebuild the NAS, and then restore the data.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Have you tried an OS reinstall from the boot menu?

Message 2 of 10
J_Malmlund
Tutor

Yes, I’ve tried the boot menu OS reinstall but that didn’t help which is so wired!
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Not a lot of clues here.  You might want to search through all the log files and see if there is more information on what is killing apache.  It might be one of the add-ons/apps (including ones you uninstalled that might not have uninstalled correctly).

The brute-force "fix" is to back up the files, do a factory default, rebuild the NAS, and then restore the data.

Message 4 of 10
J_Malmlund
Tutor

Haha! Yes, the brute force method... Smiley Very Happy well to be perfectly honest I've already ordered (and received) a new set of disks to do just that!

I have the disks but now that I'm about to start the process of cloning almost 40 Tb (got 6 x 14 Tb array of disks) from my "frontline NAS" (I have two Pro-6 units) to the one on the inner more protected network I realized that it's going to be days of clogging up the network.. Smiley LOL

My question here was more like a "hail Mary" kind of "finding an easier way out" Smiley Tongue Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@J_Malmlund wrote:

My question here was more like a "hail Mary" kind of "finding an easier way out" Smiley Tongue Smiley LOL

The puzzle is that while we can see that apache failed, we aren't seeing anything that points to the cause.  There might be something buried in the log zip that might help (looking around the boot-up time in kernel.log, system.log, dmesg.log, etc).  

Message 6 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

My guess is a corrupt configuration file, which an OS re-install does not over-write.  They are downloaded when you save the configuration, so maybe you could look through there, too.  But even if you identify the corrupted file, you need to re-create a new one, unless you have a configuration backup from before this happened that you can restore.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

My guess is a corrupt configuration file

Maybe something left behind from an app???

Doing a fresh install on a scratch disk might be a useful way to sort this out.  Then compare the apache config files, and see what differs.

Message 8 of 10
J_Malmlund
Tutor

Hi and thanks to all that have contributed with ideas and suggestions. 

I have a second Readynas (albeit labeled Ultra 6 Plus) running the same system version that has older smaller disks to backup the most crucial files using rsync since after all, raid filesystems can fail too!

I've been over all the relevant config files that I could think of and come up blank when comparing the config files between the two boxes and I think I figured the real culprit now.

I took the advice and just got out two old 2TB disks and started installing a fresh system and test my way forward from there.

I'm used to running some programs and services on my frontline NAS and so after installing the developer tools and compiling and setting everything up to my pleasing on a fresh updated system.

Everything went smoothly and no issues with apache dying on boot... until... running 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' !! After that something changes that prevents apache from starting up properly during boot!

Funny thing though that I installed the "missing" (needed by my added software) apache modules using apt-get, from the netgear configured repositories and it all works fine until after the update/upgrade commands... Since I've updated my network monitoring software to run remotely now anyway I'm not going to spend any more time figuring out what goes wrong during the update process and I've already started migrating to my new disks (quite easy with two similar NAS boxes now side by side for the time being). When done I'm just going to shuffle the disk around so that the NAS with upgraded ram and cpu sees the most load and reset the old disks to become my backup and this way both boxes will be on fresh software and system installations. 

So to all contributors, a sincere big thank you for being so awesome!

Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, apt-get upgrade is not recommended on the ReadyNAS.  Some of the Netgear-specific software depends on specific versions of the Linux system packages, and upgrading them can cause issues.  apt-get update, which just updates the list of available upgrades (that you may need for something you installed yourself) is perfectly safe.  A conflict will come into play if something you want to install needs a package that's newer than what the ReadyNAS apps need.  It's just one reason Netgear should have embraced Docker for apps years ago.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements