× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 6 "Err: could not properly extract"

WildPhydeaux
Tutor

ReadyNAS Pro 6 "Err: could not properly extract"

I replaced a faulty power supply in my ReadyNAS Pro 6 and when I brought it back up it was syncing disks. Stupidly I decided I would update the firmware from 6.10.4 to the 6.10.5 the admin page told me was available. I let it start to download but since it was very slow I downloaded the image manually quicker, then restarted and tried a manual update. This went badly and the system will no longer boot.

Note that this system was updated to OS6 several years ago and has been problem free.

Note also I do not care at all about the data on this system, it backup material that is unimportant.

Normal boot seems ok until Checking FS flashes quickly onscreen then it stays on "Booting..."

Factory Reset boot ends in "Err: could not extract properly" and Raidar reports as the "System starting".

OS Reinstall also fails, I believe its the same "could not extract" message or similar.

USB Recovery procedure, looks like it starts to read the USB (which has its own led) but ultimately ends with just ReadyNAS onscreen.

I know almost nothing of Linux, so any suggestion that involves command line will need to be explicit.

Help!

Robert

Model: RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 "Err: could not properly extract"

Yes, yoiur RAID must sync even if the drives are empty.  It would have been better if you left the unit on, as it may still be syncing.

No, it is not unusual; that an OS6 NAS did not wait for you to set it up.  Rather than wait for you too choose XRAID or FlexRAID, OS6 goes on as XRAID because you can change on the fly.  If you need FlexRAID, you can switch, destroy the not-yet-sync'ed volume, and create a new one.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
WildPhydeaux
Tutor

I figured it out. I had read that you could not use the latest (at the time) recovery utility for an older unit which had been upgraded to OS6, but the postings on this were quite old (2017). I had assumed that the recent version could be used... But no.

I grabbed the older USB recovery utility and used it along with the latest OS6 firmware renamed as RAIDiator-x86-something and wrote the USB with that.

Now it works again. I then did a factory reset successfully. The only frustrating thing was I had forgotten the original admin password and looking for it for the ReadyNAS Pro indicated it was "netgear". All well and good, but the OS6 default password is "password". Er, yeah...

Robert
Message 2 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Glad you figured it out.  Yes, you must use the old OS4.2 style USB recovery for a legacy system updated to OS 6 because,m while the primary OS has been updated, the rest of the boot system is still the same, and differs from native OS6 NAS.  USB recovery is intended to fix both, so you need the "hybrid" recovery system of a 4.2 style USB with a 6.x OS file.

Message 3 of 11
WildPhydeaux
Tutor

Thanks @Sandshark !

As it turns out there may be another problem...  I left the RN to do a disk sync overnight. Last time I saw it in the evening it was at about 2.4%  - what do I know, it's full of 4TB drives, I guess it takes a while although I hope it didn't see the old data and think it should get it all back, since I did do a factory reset....

Anyway this morning it was non-responsive to RAIDar or directly to the web admin page. So I had a look and it just said the NAS name and firmware version on the display and that tiny little green light was blinking as though it was working, but no repsonse. Touching the power button didn't show more information. I'm out of town for a few days now so I just powered it down and I'll have to look again when I get back. Perhaps there is a bad disk? Not sure what to check next but I guess disks would be a place to start.

Any suggestions would be appreicated. Oh, also, I noted that even when I got the system back up and did the factory reset that RAIDar never did give me the option to initiate the setup - it just keep saying starting up...   I just went to the admin page and carried on, but that's weird isn't it?

Thank you!

Robert

Message 4 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, yoiur RAID must sync even if the drives are empty.  It would have been better if you left the unit on, as it may still be syncing.

No, it is not unusual; that an OS6 NAS did not wait for you to set it up.  Rather than wait for you too choose XRAID or FlexRAID, OS6 goes on as XRAID because you can change on the fly.  If you need FlexRAID, you can switch, destroy the not-yet-sync'ed volume, and create a new one.

Message 5 of 11
WildPhydeaux
Tutor

Ok, I just thought it was weird that it didn't respond to touching the power button and trying to access the web page there was no response. But if that's not abnormal during sync, then I'll let it carry on.

I called my wife and asked her to power it back on. Maybe it will be all good by the time I get back home in a couple days!

Robert
Message 6 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

It's not typical, but it can happen; especially if it's encountering any errors along the way.  Is yours really a "Pro 6" (-200 model), or an older Pro Pioneer?  (Your title says one thing and you listed another as the model.)  Have you updated the processor or memory?

Message 7 of 11
WildPhydeaux
Tutor

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with the various iterations of models. Pro Pioneer rings a bell, it was a long time ago but I think that's what I purchased and then purchased the WD Red drives separately. I've upgraded the drives three times I think. And yes I did upgrade both the processor and the memory, probably about 5 years ago. No idea now what those details are. I actually had two identical RN units. This particular one just powers itself on once per week and backs up the other one then powers down.

I will definitely circle back here after I get back home and can see if the unit is in distress or if it does finish the sync which I assume it will have resumed after my wife powered it back on.

Thanks for sticking with me through this, it means a lot that someone is willing to advise me!

Robert
Message 8 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

The memory upgrade is the most important.  We've seen some reports that Intel versions of OS6.10.x can have difficulty with just 1GB of memory (all native Intel-based OS6 units have at least 2GB).  The processor will make some difference, as it's less likely that a more powerful processor will max out at 100% CPU, locking you out of the GUI.

Message 9 of 11
WildPhydeaux
Tutor

I returned home today. My wife had powered the RN on roughly 48 hours ago. The unit is unresponsive to admin page, RAIDar and to brief touches to the power button. The green backup light is on steady and there is no activity (no tiny green light in the display). The display just shows ReadyNAS.

I powered off with front power button, then back on. Same thing. I powered off from back switch, waited a minute, then back on. Same thing. This is exactly the behaviour that some reading earlier indicated it may be a bad power supply. Back then, I unplugged the PS connections (internally) and temporarily connected another one and it had powered up fine, so I bought a new one in the correct form factor, which is in it now...

So I pulled all the hard disks except one. Now it powers up, well, sometimes. It's inconsistent, sometimes comes up, sometimes not. I can tell when it will come up because the fan starts off on high. If the fan stays low speed right from the start, the system will not come up.

Ok, tried a factory reset. Partway through it complained about not being able to unpack something, then I think it did a FW install and it seemed to work fine. I can get into the admin page, which then had me answer a couple settings then chose a JBOD since there's only one disk. Not sure what to do now, I've left it on to see if it hangs. I would like to add the rest of the disks and get it back in service but I'm concerned there may still be an issue?

Any suggestions of what to try/test next?

Thank you.
Robert
Message 10 of 11
WildPhydeaux
Tutor

@Sandshark 

Well, I ended up having to reset to factory default as it was still complaining about corruption or not being able to extract. However when I did this reset it clearly extracted the FW and there were no errors. I had all 6 drives back in place and I allowed it to resync, which it completed in about 18 hours.

Then I created a backup job using RSYNC pulling from my other ReadyNAS. The job is about 10TB if I recall correctly. It ran the afternoon, but sometime overnight the RN hung. Totally unresponsive and no activity lights. This is frustrating. However, the problem that I opened this thread for seems to be solved, so I guess I should mark it as such and open a new thread about the hanging during a backup.

Thanks very much for your kind assistance!

Robert

Model: RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements