× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 stuck on 'Booting 0%'

chainlinc
Guide

ReadyNAS Pro 6 stuck on 'Booting 0%'

Running OS 6.6.1, have Plex and SqueeboxMediaServer apps.

No trouble the last month, no email advising that rootfs was filling up.

Could not access shared folders today, so attempted to reboot NAS.

Then.. stuck at 'Booting 0%'.

ssh connection gets refused.

Web GUI not accessible.

What can be done?

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like you had and still do have quite a bit on the 4GB root volume. You should look into this and address this.

I removed a large amount of unifi logs from the 4GB root volume. Your system is booted normally at the moment.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you are comfortable with ssh, you could access with telnet.  If someone from netgear offers courtesy help, they can do that remotely.

Do you have a backup?

Message 2 of 8
chainlinc
Guide

Thanks for the Telnet suggestion. I am OK with SSH if going real slowly to overcome my lack of confidence with it.

PuTTY reports 'Network Error: Connection refused' for telnet when attempted to boot normally.

I do have a backup of the data.

Netgear courtesy help sounds great! I purchased the hardware February, 2013.

I have now attached a VGA monitor - the VGA output keeps displaying (updating every 22 seconds or so):

'[seconds since poweron] NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s! [systemd-journal:1284]'

'[seconds since poweron] NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [systemd-hwdb:1313]'

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Telnet requires that you boot up in tech support mode.  There's some other info you'd need to know (user/password and how to mount the OS partition).

But wait for Netgear to respond - they might have some thoughts on your soft lockup issue.  

Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like you had and still do have quite a bit on the 4GB root volume. You should look into this and address this.

I removed a large amount of unifi logs from the 4GB root volume. Your system is booted normally at the moment.

Message 5 of 8
chainlinc
Guide

mdgm,

Thank you. thank you.

I will look into that unifi issue.

Message 6 of 8
chainlinc
Guide

Update:

Even with mdgm kindly cleaning out logs, the performance was subpar, so I decided to factory default (reset) the unit, then transfer back 2.6T of data (26 hours over Gibabit LAN). Thanks to mdgm using telnet to do the initial cleanup, it restored access to ssh and the web gui.

Now the performance is 'snappy' and the root volume went from 44% use to 19% use. My gut feeling is that previous apps did not uninstall properly and left loads of garbage behind, perhaps even garbage that grew day-by-day through logs. Without being an ssh pro, the best (and cleanest) option was to (painfully) do a factory default reset.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@chainlinc wrote:

Without being an ssh pro, the best (and cleanest) option was to (painfully) do a factory default reset.

Often that's the case, though it is painful.  

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements