× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 web admin page not working

Doc_PT
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro 6 web admin page not working

RAIDar can find my device and it powers up, but the web admin interface is not displaying a page. The IP address is on the same subnet as my computer. Running current firmware.
Message 1 of 11
Doc_PT
Aspirant

I since thought of doing a firmware re-install (not factory reset) which was successful, but did not return the admin page. RAIDar still reports the same info. I'm considering doing a factory reset with a disk I don't care about. (not my 4 data disks) Is it possible to do this creating a "new" volume which will return the data stored on the 4 disks? I should note that when booted, the shares are not reachable. Otherwise I would just backup all my data and start from scratch. Thx.
Message 2 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

You are better off trying to figure out why you can't access the NAS than what you are suggesting.  A full OS partition can be a cause.  Do you have SSH enabled?  Can you access the NAS via SSH?  Can you downlaod logs with RAIDar?

If all else fails, the following may work.  Or, it may make things worse.  If it does work, it should only be used as a means of recovering data so you can factory default the whole NAS.

Remove the drives and insert the spare drive (powered off) in slot 1.  When you power on, you shouldn't need to do a factory default -- it should start on it's own unless it detects a "dirty disk" (meaning it has previous formatting).

Unl;ss your current volume is NOT named "data", you will have to disable XRAID, delete the data volume on the new drive, and re-create it with a different name.

Then, with power off, you can install the other drives in positions 2-5 and power on, hoping that whatever was stopping it from being accessible won't stop the newly installed version of the OS to not be able to import the old volume.  Unfortunately, I don't think this will work in read-only mode.  If the import fails, it may be impossible to reverse the process and make the volume stand alone.

Another user reported success with this process, but there is no telling if his root cause and yours are similar enough that you'll get similar results.

Message 3 of 11
Doc_PT
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I believe I enabled ssh in the past and vaguely recall having tried it a long time ago. I'll make that the very next thing I look into. Thanks also for your "last resort" suggestion. I'll file that away in case it's needed.
Message 4 of 11
Doc_PT
Aspirant

The NAS responds to pings, but not to ssh: connection refused.
Message 5 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Are you using "root" and not "admin" for SSH login?  Connection refused could just mean it's not enabled.

Message 6 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

I was thinking you were running OS6 on your Pro, but you said "Current Firmware".  If that's 4.2.x, I don't believe the last resort will work.  There may be a way to manually mount the volume, but I'm not familiar with it.

Message 7 of 11
Doc_PT
Aspirant

That's correct. Sorry for the confusion. 4.2.31. I'm exchanging messages with an expert who has offered to help. I'll update here once I (hopefully) have a solution.
Message 8 of 11
Doc_PT
Aspirant

So I was able to get into the technical supprot debug mode and telnet into the box. Looks like the array is still healthy (which RAIDar said). I was able to mout the root and it doesn't look full to me.

# du -hsx /sysroot/
549.9M  /sysroot/

But the shares and the web UI are still not available so presumably not running.

Any suggestions?

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Have you looked at disk health with smartctl?

You could try mounting the data volume from tech support mode.  If that works, you could back up the data and then proceed with the factory reset.

Message 10 of 11
Doc_PT
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Have you looked at disk health with smartctl?

You could try mounting the data volume from tech support mode.  If that works, you could back up the data and then proceed with the factory reset.

I'll give that a try. The disks should be good, though. 2 are brand new and the other 2 are <= 6 months old.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements