× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 8TB WD Reds

marioscimone
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 8TB WD Reds

I had an x-raid made on all 6 hdds, I was running raidiator 4.2.x, I had to shares. I made an upgrade from 4.2.x to 6.9.3 but I forgot to back up one of the two shares, is there any way to recovery the data on it?

Thank you in avance.

Mario 

Model: ReadyNASRNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 8TB WD Reds

@marioscimone wrote:

Thank you for your clear answer, but I think I didn't started the thread clearly. I had onbord the 6 wd red of 3Tb each with the two shares on it. I made a copy of one share and thinking that was all I did the upgrade loosing all the data in the second share. The right question shuld be:  Is there an yway to recover them?

Well, it depends on exactly what you did.

If you removed the 6x3TB drives, installed one or more of the 8 TB drives, and then converted to OS-6,  then your original array is intact.  If that's the case, you could mount the original array as read-only.  Just power down the NAS, remove the new drives (labeling by slot), and reinsert the original disks (ideally in their original order).  Then power up.  When done backing up the data, power down and reinsert your new disks.

But if you did the conversion with the 6x3TB drives in place, then the conversion process would have reformatted the drives, created a different partition structure, and then installed a new file system on the data volume.  If you are really desperate to get the data back, you could try Netgear's data recovery software (or RAID recovery software on a PC), but if you did the conversion with the original disks in place I think the odds are very poor - especially if you have copied back some files to the new data volume.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What disks were you using with 4.2.x?

Message 2 of 13
marioscimone
Aspirant

Wdc wd30efrx-68euzno

Wdred 3tb six of them
Message 3 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

If you put the new drives in before you changed to OS6, and you still have the old drives (preferably marked as to location they go in), you could put in a spare drive, revert the chassis to 4.2.x and then install the old drives (with power off).

If you don't remember the order of the drives and have an old log .zip file, you can find out which serial number goes where in disk_smart.log.

Once you have the data you need, use the spare drive to move back to 6.x and then put your new drives back in (again, with power off).

Message 4 of 13
marioscimone
Aspirant

Thank you for your clear answer, but I think I didn't started the thread clearly. I had onbord the 6 wd red of 3Tb each with the two shares on it. I made a copy of one share and thinking that was all I did the upgrade loosing all the data in the second share. The right question shuld be:  Is there an yway to recover them?

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@marioscimone wrote:

Well, it depends on exactly what you did.

If you removed the 6x3TB drives, installed one or more of the 8 TB drives, and then converted to OS-6,  then your original array is intact.  If that's the case, you could mount the original array as read-only.  Just power down the NAS, remove the new drives (labeling by slot), and reinsert the original disks (ideally in their original order).  Then power up.  When done backing up the data, power down and reinsert your new disks.

But if you did the conversion with the 6x3TB drives in place, then the conversion process would have reformatted the drives, created a different partition structure, and then installed a new file system on the data volume.  If you are really desperate to get the data back, you could try Netgear's data recovery software (or RAID recovery software on a PC), but if you did the conversion with the original disks in place I think the odds are very poor - especially if you have copied back some files to the new data volume.

Message 6 of 13
marioscimone
Aspirant

Thank you again, unluckily it is the secon scenario you described, I will try with raid recovery but as you said I know I have very very few chance. 

I think you answerd and this is the conclusion! 

Regards

Mario

Message 7 of 13
marioscimone
Aspirant

Back again, sorry, even if, as you said, I have very few chance I would like to try a round with a recovery sw. My problem now is how to make the nas "visible" to the sw, because I downladed a few trials for raid recovery but none of them see the smb share. 

Thanks

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@marioscimone wrote:

but none of them see the smb share. 

Recovery requires direct access to the file system - so the software can't recover from SMB.

You need to power down the NAS, remove the drives, and connect them to the PC.  Likely you don't have enough SATA ports - if so you will need USB adapters/docks.

Message 9 of 13
marioscimone
Aspirant

But connecting them on pc with adapters then how do I recreate the x-raid and the correct sequence of disk?

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@marioscimone wrote:

But connecting them on pc with adapters then how do I recreate the x-raid and the correct sequence of disk?

You don't.  The RAID recovery software should figure all that out.  Note you'll also need enough storage to copy any files that are recovered.

BTW - DON'T reformat the disks when you connect them to the PC.  The RAID recover software will be able to access them, even though windows won't recognize the file format.

Your other option is to use Netgear's data recovery service.

Message 11 of 13
marioscimone
Aspirant

Thank you once more, I will try to understand how to activate the netgear recovery service.

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@marioscimone wrote:

Thank you once more, I will try to understand how to activate the netgear recovery service.

Some information is here: https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

You can get support via my.netgear.com

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements