× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 6

nautic_no
Tutor

ReadyNAS Pro 6

I am currently at Firmware 4.2.31.with 4Gb ram. The product is ReadyNASRNDP6000v2 . I have installed 6 4Tb disk. I have to do a Factory Default to get maximum . I have backup of all of my data. Is it time to update to OS6 ? Is it problemfree? I found this link https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Ultra-6-OS-Upgrade-from-4-2-30-to-O... is it to old?

Best regards

Nautic_no

Model: RNDP6630D|ReadyNAS Pro 6 18TB (6 x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6

The steps are

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you so want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to converion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

If you do decide to convert the Pro 6, then you should also consider increasing the RAM.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, your Pro 6 only has 1 GB.  It will work, but it would be sensible to match the resources in the currently shipping NAS.  The upgrade is inexpensive, and is simple to do. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The steps are

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you so want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to converion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

If you do decide to convert the Pro 6, then you should also consider increasing the RAM.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, your Pro 6 only has 1 GB.  It will work, but it would be sensible to match the resources in the currently shipping NAS.  The upgrade is inexpensive, and is simple to do. 

Message 2 of 9
nautic_no
Tutor

Hi!

Thank you!

4GB ram is max?

Same story with ReadyNAS Ultra 6?

Best regards

Nautic_no

Nautic_no

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@nautic_no wrote:

4GB ram is max?

The Pro-6 will actually take 2x4GB, but the 4 GB modules can be pricey and hard to find.   So maybe stick with 2x1 GB or 2x2 GB.

Message 4 of 9
nautic_no
Tutor

It looks nice! Thank you!

Can I use same procedure for my ReadyNAS Ultra 6 ?

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@nautic_no wrote:

Can I use same procedure for my ReadyNAS Ultra 6 ?

Yes.

Message 6 of 9
nautic_no
Tutor

Hi!

What kind of memory is best for ReadyNAS Ultra 6 ?

Best regards

Nautic_no

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Note I don't have an Ultra, so the info below is from looking at specs and other posts here.

You need a 240 pin DDR2 DIMM (PC2-6400) module.  https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr2/ct25664aa800 is one that will work (among others).

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

It must be non-ECC, unregistered, and not "high density" (must be 2Rx8 or 1Rx8, not 2Rx4).  That last one will normally only affect 4GB modules and is what makes them more expensive -- they were uncommon in the era of the legacy NAS and nobody is still making them.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements