× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro BE X-raid volume expansion OS 6

pbsnpr
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro BE X-raid volume expansion OS 6

I am not familiar with X-raid automated volume expansion. 

The NAS currently running OS 6.10.6 and has three 10TB drives.  When I created a volume, I think the only options were RAID 5 and RAID 0.  I chose Raid 5.  After the volume was created, I think the volume showed as Flex-Raid until I clicked the X-Raid button, so it is now an X-Raid volume (X-Raid2?).

After resynced was done, I added a 4TB drive into bay 4 while the NAS was on, thinking it would automatically expand. It didn't so I formatted the drive and clicked the expand option.  However, it showed an error message "Volume requies drive capacity to be the same size or larger before volume expansion can begin".  So I removed the 4TB drive until I can figure out what I can do to.

bay       what I am trying to achieve           

1            10TB        

2            10TB

3            10TB

4              4TB

5              4TB

6              blank

The NAS has some test data so I don't mind moving the drives around or destroy the volume. 

Questions:

1. If I destroy the volume, would I be able to create a single volume X-Raid with three 10TB in bays 1-3 and two 4TB in bays 4-5?

2. If I move the two 4TB to bays 1-2 and three 10TB to bays 3-5, would I be able to create a single volume X-Raid?  

3. Would adding the 4TB drives unfavorable for the NAS in terms of performace or future expansion?

Thanks!

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro BE X-raid volume expansion OS 6

@pbsnpr wrote:

1. If I destroy the volume, would I be able to create a single volume X-Raid with three 10TB in bays 1-3 and two 4TB in bays 4-5?

Yes. (and the slot order doesn't matter).

What you'd have is a volume with two RAID groups concatenated together.  The first RAID group would be 5x4TB RAID-5 (taking the first 4 TB of the three 10 TB disks).  The second RAID group would be 3x6TB RAID-5 (taking the remaining 6 TB of those 10 TB drives).  Capacity would be 28 TB (~25.5 TiB)

The easiest way is to use the "Perform Factory Default"  control on the system->settings->update page with all the drives in place.  This will reformat the drives, do a completely clean install, and create the XRAID volume described able. 

@pbsnpr wrote:

3. Would adding the 4TB drives unfavorable for the NAS in terms of performace or future expansion?

No. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@pbsnpr wrote:

Yes. (and the slot order doesn't matter).

What you'd have is a volume with two RAID groups concatenated together.  The first RAID group would be 5x4TB RAID-5 (taking the first 4 TB of the three 10 TB disks).  The second RAID group would be 3x6TB RAID-5 (taking the remaining 6 TB of those 10 TB drives).  Capacity would be 28 TB (~25.5 TiB)

The easiest way is to use the "Perform Factory Default"  control on the system->settings->update page with all the drives in place.  This will reformat the drives, do a completely clean install, and create the XRAID volume described able. 

@pbsnpr wrote:

No. 

Message 2 of 4
pbsnpr
Aspirant

Thank you @StephenB for the explanation!

I just initiated a new volume with all 5 drives and is in resync. 

so is it correct that if I want to add a drive to the bay 6, or if I need to replace a drive (in case of a drive failure of one of the 10TB or 4TB) it would need to be at least 4TB?  or at least 10TB?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@pbsnpr wrote:

so is it correct that if I want to add a drive to the bay 6, or if I need to replace a drive (in case of a drive failure of one of the 10TB or 4TB) it would need to be at least 4TB?  or at least 10TB?

You can either

• add a 4 TB drive
  • add a 10 TB or larger drive

intermediate sizes (6, 8 TB) can't be added.

Of course if you add > 10 TB only 10 TB will be used (until you upgrade another drive).

@pbsnpr wrote:

I just initiated a new volume with all 5 drives and is in resync. 

Great.  It will sync in two steps, so don't be surprised by that.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements