× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition Disk Overheating

David_H
Tutor

ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition Disk Overheating

Hi, 

I have a 6 disk ReadyNas Pro Busdiness Edition [X-RAID2] (not sure of the exact model number) with firmware RAIDiator 4.2.28. 

Last night I recieved a notification that disk 5 had exceeded the recomended temperature and the system was automatically shutting down. The notification said "Disk on channel 5 reports a temperature of 84C / 183F, Fan 1: 1214 RPM". The other disks reported temperatures of ~31-34C / 87-91F. 

Today (after the system had been powered off for ~18 hours) I turned it back on to log into Frontview for troubleshooting. Withing 30 seconds of booting the display on the front pannel said disk 5 was overheating with a reported temperature of 82C / 179F. As far as I can tell, this cannot possibly be correct. The disk could not have heated from room temperature to 82C in 30 seconds, and furthermore, after I removed the disk, I felt it and it was just slightly above room temperature. 

I opened the case and cleaned all of the fans and removed any dust, but as soon as I powered back on, I immediatly recieved a temperature warning again and the system shut down. 

The NAS is located in an airconditioned room in the basement of an office building, and I have never recieved any temperature warnings before this (the system has been in use for years). 

I was hoping someone here who is more knowledgeable than myself could help me troubleshoot this. I'm not sure if the problem is with the hard disk itself or with the ReadyNAS. Could the temperature sensor be faulty (and if so, is that part of the disk or the NAS)? The drive is a 3TB Seagate ST3000VN007, and is only 2 months old. 

Thanks, 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition Disk Overheating

Well if you power down, remove the disk and hook it up to a PC you should be able to see if the PC's reporting any issues with the disk.

If you power down, remove your disks (label order) and put a scratch disk (must not be from your array) in that slot do you get reports of temperature issues with just that disk installed?

Welcome to the Community!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well if you power down, remove the disk and hook it up to a PC you should be able to see if the PC's reporting any issues with the disk.

If you power down, remove your disks (label order) and put a scratch disk (must not be from your array) in that slot do you get reports of temperature issues with just that disk installed?

Welcome to the Community!

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

The NAS relies on the drive reporting it's own temperature.  As you have stated, such a rapid temperature rise is highly unlikely.  It sounds like you have a dirve with a faulty sensor in it, which should be grounds for an RMA from Seagate and/or retail outlet from which you purchased it.  It is easier if you have a Seatools code to initiate the RMA.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Start with the retail outlet, as if they exchange it they would give you a new replacement disk.  Seagate will give you a recertified replacement with a short warranty.

If you do use Seagate, but can't run Seatools there are manually entered "self-service" test codes you can use instead - they are listed here: http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/seatools-test-codes.html  659DC7AE looks closest to me.

I've used these codes in the past with no problem, but there is a warning "Please be cautious using these Self-Service SeaTools Test Codes. Seagate reserves the right to return a good drive back to its owner and to charge for all associated shipping costs"  

Message 4 of 5
David_H
Tutor

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, 

I removed the drive and connected it up to my PC to check the temperature. I couldn't get Seatools to run, but found another tool online that had similar functionality, and it reported the drive temperature as 89 C, so it looks like in fact the sensor in the drive is faulty. I'll follow up with Seagate about the RMA. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements