× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Data Recovery? (#18789299)

dman66
Tutor

ReadyNAS Pro Data Recovery? (#18789299)

I was attempting to upgrade the firmware in my ReadyNAS Pro from 4.2.13 to 4.2.21 and it bricked itself (see the case referenced).

Is there any way to recover the data outside of the ReadyNAS?

I put the 5 drives in my Linux box and it sees them all with their partitions, etc.

Doug
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes it is possible to recover data outside of the ReadyNAS, however it would be recommended to try other options first.

How bricked is the unit? Does the boot menu work?: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu

If you haven't already can you try the suggestion here to use a spare disk (must not be from your array) to update the unit to 4.2.17 etc.: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340135#p340135

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 7
dman66
Tutor

It is fully bricked 🙂

It doesn't even get past 'ReadyNAS' on the display. The boot menu doesn't work... nothing.

Doug
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When did you purchase the ReadyNAS and what model Pro is it? Is it still under warranty?

If you get a RMA, put a spare disk in the RMA unit and ensure the firmware installed is 4.2.17 etc.
Message 4 of 7
dman66
Tutor

I bought it in 2010 from Amazon so it should still be under warranty. Unfortunately it seemed it was bought previously in 2009 (Netgear even had support cases logged against it) and returned as defective and then sold to me 😞

The current warranty is good for another 2 years - but Netgear won't honor it for me until the registration is transferred and I'm getting the run around trying to get it transferred. Amazon stepped up big time and is willing to let me return it - but I want to try and get the data off first.

It is a "NETGEAR ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition 6-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage RNDP600E".

It had 5 drives on it with one empty drive bay.

Doug
Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well if Amazon would let you return it you could buy an Ultra 6 Plus (3 year warranty) or Pro 6 (5 year warranty) and try the suggestion I gave above.

As for recovering the data using a Linux machine (if you really want to do that) you'd need to start the RAID, scan for the volume and mount it.

I think the commands you'd need are something like this:

sudo su
apt-get install lvm2
mdadm --assemble --scan
vgscan
vgchange -ay c
mount /dev/c/c /mnt

Edit: oops meant to say Amazon.
Message 6 of 7
dman66
Tutor

Thanks a milion for the commands - I had forgot the 'mdadm' step.

I've got it mounted and all the data appears intact - time to start copying!

Doug
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements