× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer - Solutions Please - Bad controller?

ynohtna
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer - Solutions Please - Bad controller?

Ah the most dreaded topic.  I've gotten a bit complacent since it's been so reliable, I double back up but not everything 😞  and of course I need it sigh.

So I shut my pro pioneer down to replace the battery in the UPS it was connected too.  Now it won't power up!

I figure no big deal, I have a 550w power supply lying around, I'll just plug it all together to get it running again.  I get the wiring all sorted out and the power supply keeps tripping out.

I tested no drives plugged and it still trips out.

I tested with the 3 molex disconnected and it looks like it boots ok (I didn't bother going very far with it)

I tested individual molex and it looks like only the top one is ok that doesn't trip the system.  the bottom two make power supply trip out or something.

I guess bad controller?

Anything else I should try?  what are my options?

Thank you for your time

Model: ReadyNASRNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer - Solutions Please - Bad controller?

Well one option would be to get a new x86 ReadyNAS. You may find this article helpful: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29875/~/readynas%3A-migrating-disks-from-raidiator-to-...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 21

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well one option would be to get a new x86 ReadyNAS. You may find this article helpful: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29875/~/readynas%3A-migrating-disks-from-raidiator-to-...

Message 2 of 21
ynohtna
Aspirant

Oh that sounds easier than I thought!!!  I thought I needed the exact same older model

Message 3 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you would need somewhere to backup your data to.

Message 4 of 21
ynohtna
Aspirant

That's the least of my worries, I can get it going, pick what I really needed... then figure out where to put 9TB of data after 😄

Message 5 of 21
ynohtna
Aspirant

so anything 516 and higher would be ok?  Time to decide how fast I need 😄

Message 6 of 21
ynohtna
Aspirant

actually probably more like what I can get the fastest

Message 7 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's possible the replacement PSU is bad/incompatible or there is some other hardware issue.

You could get the RN316 or RN516 or RN716X or one of our brand new models just released the RN526X or RN626X.

Message 8 of 21
ynohtna
Aspirant

I did wonder about power supply being not compatible but I made sure each had it's own lane, not all share off the same bunch of wires.  It's modular so maybe it's the cable?  Worth a shot to see if the best responding cable helps the other two.

I actually tried a 2nd power supply with similar result.... I think I blew that 2nd power supply though as the computer I borrowed the PS from is not able to stay powered up and boot 😞

In Canada it looks like the best one available is the RN516.... seems like only amazon.ca has it... not really found in my local shops for some reason.  Other vendors look to be taking over.  I can't even see the RN716X on the netgear site.  I don't mind getting a powerful one but server and Xeon processors almost seem too overkill for my needs 🙂  316 very available but that's a downgrade from my pro pioneer...

Message 9 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The RN516 is a decent upgrade over the RN316. I love mine. I use it with Plex and it does a great job of transcoding.

The RN526X and RN626X were only just announced at the start of the month. Availability of these two should improve over the coming weeks.

Message 10 of 21
ynohtna
Aspirant

I think I found a place with RN526X locally.... rather get the new one that one that's going onto 3 years!

Message 11 of 21
ynohtna
Aspirant

Have my RN526X! Curious, how long is the booting of the old raid array going to take, about 10mins now and still saying booting....
Message 12 of 21
ynohtna
Aspirant

Hmm just saw this in my email, that's not good is it....

Missing shares detected (nas-E7-16-02) -  - Gmail

The paths for the shares listed below could not be found.  Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume.

VirtualDrives
publicftp
openstor
media
installs
doc
webroot
backup
bfhl
Pictures
Message 13 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like it is probably a data recovery situation. Contact support and they can inform you of the costs.

You could send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig) and I could confirm this first if you like.

Message 14 of 21
ynohtna
Aspirant

still getting emails.... so confusing is it working or not 🙂 lol

New ReadyNAS firmware available (nas-E7-16-02) -- Gmail

A newer version of the firmware for your ReadyNAS device is now available.  To install it, please go to the System page and click on the Update tab.  Then, go to the Remote tab, click the Check For Update button, then click Perform System Update.

Name: RAIDiator-x86
Version: 4.2.28
Date: Mon Jun 22 12:31:19 2015
Size: 57227264
Message 15 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Send me your logs and I can check.

Message 16 of 21
ynohtna
Aspirant

I want to, trying tofigure things out... the admin page wasn't loading until just now and it says connecting to the readynas admin page very very slowly.....

Not sure it will even show up.

Am I supposed to force shut it down? Put back my single test disk and get the logs?

Message 17 of 21
ynohtna
Aspirant

like the box itself still says booting.

Message 18 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have sent you a PM.

Message 19 of 21
ynohtna
Aspirant

Well after all that, huge kudo's to Netgear for supporting legacy!  The new RN526x is humming along wtih my old pro pioneer drives and old data patiently waiting it's new set of drives when they arrive!  It's great to feel justified in sticking with ReadyNAS in blind faith all these years and find out it pays off!  I can access my stuff!

Thanks again!!

Message 20 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Great to hear!

Your Pro Pioneer had a good run. The new models (e.g. your RN526X) certainly are a big jump forward from that.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements