× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer drive not adding again (RNDP600E)

reburns
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer drive not adding again (RNDP600E)

Hello -

This is deja vu from a previous similar experience.

All important data is backed up for a RN316.

I have tried to add a new 18TB HDD to channel slot #3, and raid rebuild did not start.  I had initialized the HDD on my Win10 PC as GBT.  I then tried to replace back the original 16TB drive after wiping the existing partitions and it similarly did not rebuild.  It previously housed 18 - 18 - 16 - 16 - 14 - 14 TB drives; should I not be trying to upgrade that channel slot #3 (and later #4) with an 18TB HDD?  The 18TB drive SMART tests healthy on the PC.

What course now?  Thank you, Ralph

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer drive not adding again (RNDP600E)

@reburns wrote:

It is RAID-5, and I can still access the data.  I’ll look for factory reset instructions next? 

Surprising that you can access the data - can you check that again?

You could try powering down, reinserting the original disk 3, and powering up (perhaps in read-only) mode, and see if the volume shifts back from inactive (likely syncing disk 4).  If you are comfortable with the linux command line, you could also try forcibly assembling the RAID array in tech support mode.

Though a factory reset is of course another option.  You can initiate it from the web ui: system->settings->update, and click on "perform factory default".  Or just destroy the volume(s) from the volume settings page, and create a new one. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
reburns
Aspirant

And a screenshot of the log page.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@reburns wrote:

And a screenshot of the log page.

What RAID mode are you using? (guessing XRAID/RAID-5).

It looks like you accidentally removed the wrong disk, and then tried the correct one without waiting for the needed resync to recover from the mistake.

• October 4 11:06:24 you removed the disk in channel 4,
  • October 4 11:07:12 you reinserted it.
  • October 4 11:07:29 the volume started to resync
  • October 4 11:08:55 you removed the disk in channel 3

That destroyed the volume, which was declared dead on 11:09:02.

What you should have done was wait for the resync to complete (which would have taken quite a while).

It is likely that you can recover the volume, though it would require use of ssh in tech support mode.  Do you have experience with the linux command line???

Message 3 of 6
reburns
Aspirant

I think what that happened is that the tray #3 didn't completely remove easily with the 16TB so I pushed it back in and then took it out on a second try, causing the dither and break during resync.  So cheaper to know it’s pilot and not hardware error.

It is RAID-5, and I can still access the data.  I’ll look for factory reset instructions next? 

Thank you!

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@reburns wrote:

Surprising that you can access the data - can you check that again?

You could try powering down, reinserting the original disk 3, and powering up (perhaps in read-only) mode, and see if the volume shifts back from inactive (likely syncing disk 4).  If you are comfortable with the linux command line, you could also try forcibly assembling the RAID array in tech support mode.

Though a factory reset is of course another option.  You can initiate it from the web ui: system->settings->update, and click on "perform factory default".  Or just destroy the volume(s) from the volume settings page, and create a new one. 

Message 5 of 6
reburns
Aspirant

I went the route of destroying the volume(s) from the volume settings page and creating a new one, with some resolve to be more methodical in the future!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements