× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro RNDP6000 won't boot. Stuck on ReadyNAS prompt.

thisisjoe
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro RNDP6000 won't boot. Stuck on ReadyNAS prompt.

Have a readynas Pro 600 (bought with no drives) currently has 6 x 4TB in it.  Can't remember if it's pro pioneer or pro or what.

Was working fine, had a drive die, so I replaced the drive and gave it a blow out with canned air at the same time to help it coming into summer.
It booted fine, resynced the raid volume and was working fine.

I have my NAS shutting down at 10pm and waking at 5am each day to save on drive hours when it's idle overnight.

Came out in the morning (2 days post drive swap) and it's now stuck on the readynas prompt.  I've tried accessing the boot menu with the paperclip in the back and turning the unit on, but it's not coming up, just staying on the readynas prompt.  I've also reseated the ram to be sure (I didn't touch the ram).  I did take the cpu fan off the heatsink, but didn't take the heatsink off, so figured the cpu should be fine.

Any ideas on how to get it up and running again?  I've seen posts about hooking up a monitor to the header on the board to see output, but I've not been able to find a pinout to use.

Model: RNDP600E (ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition)|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 12
thisisjoe
Aspirant

Further info:

Have a second unit, earlier firmware though.  I swapped out the ram, faulty one didn't boot, old one did.

Is it possible to just pull all of the drives and slap it in the old one to keep up and running with the array etc? (obviously in the same order)

Message 2 of 12
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @thisisjoe

Welcome to the Community!

Yes you can just swap out the disk since they are the same model, there shouldn't be any issue with that but I would suggest updating the firmware first before swapping out the disks.

If it's a bad RAM and you plan to replace it then PC2-6400 CL6 DIMM is the spec, not sure if there are better ones.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 3 of 12
thisisjoe
Aspirant

Hi there, as stated it's not ram as I switched the ram between units and it worked fine. So am I able to run the nas and upgrade it without drives in it? I won't lose data moving them to the new unit?
Message 4 of 12
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @thisisjoe

Oops! I think I misread sorry. Alright, there should be drives in it before upgrading it, but booting it with the drives shouldn't be a problem. If you have a spare drive, you can boot it first then upgrade and then swap the drives. Yes, you won't lose data just make sure you also insert them on the same order.

Regards

Message 5 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

The NAS will display "ReadyNAS" even if the power supply is only supplying +5V.  The more typical voltages to fail are +5VSB and +12V.  So, the power supply could be the issue.  Rather than trying to swap the supply, you can use a standard ATX supply externally if you have a spare, just to check that that's the issue.  And if it is the supply, suitable replacements can be found.

Message 6 of 12
thisisjoe
Aspirant

So I ran the two motherboard connections from the working box PSU to the non-working one, same issue.  Is there another connection I should be running over? 

I've since switched the drives over and now using the other unit, so need to figure out how to get this one running again in the meantime.

Just trying to avoid pulling the PSU out as it looks difficult with the fan sticking out the back and clearance inside looks tight.

20181219_090808_smaller.jpg

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 7 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

There are three Molex connectors that connect to the SATA backplane.  I've never tried to power a unit without those connected, and most especially not with them still connected to an unpowered supply.  But I doubt it would work and I hope you have done no damage to your good supply or the NAS.

The supply is a tight fit, but it doesn't take anything special to remove it.  Just pull the back and side panels, unplug (including from the mains power input), unscrew from the bottom, and you can work it out.

Message 8 of 12
thisisjoe
Aspirant

I did see those ports on the drive slots, but figured it wouldn't be needed to get past the readynas prompt, just would error when it didn't detect any drives.

The good psu wasn't damaged, I've dropped the drives in the other unit so it's up and running again.  I'll have to find another ATX psu to play with the old unit.

Until then is there anything other than ram/psu (already done) that I can check?

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

The supply is a tight fit, but it doesn't take anything special to remove it.  Just pull the back and side panels, unplug (including from the mains power input), unscrew from the bottom, and you can work it out.

There is a heat sink on the system board that can be knocked off pretty easily, so watch out for that.

Message 10 of 12
thisisjoe
Aspirant

Still not resolved.  If anyone can give me ideas on what to do to get more information out of it about why it's dead that'd be great.

Message 11 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

By "Still not resolved", do you mean with a known working supply connected properly to it (all connectioons, including the backplane ones)?

If that is the case, then the CPU and memory are about the only other things you can do anything about.  Parts are not available, nor is a schematic for troubleshooting.  You can connect a VGA connector to the onboard header and observe what happens during boot, but that won't likely lead you in the direction of a fix.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements