× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro keeps rebooting after shutdown

netracer
Apprentice

ReadyNAS Pro keeps rebooting after shutdown

Regardless of whether I press the physical power button or execute a shutdown in the GUI, the device turns off and about 10 seconds later starts itself back up again.  I had this problem once before many many moons ago and someone from ReadyNAS had me put the device into phone home mode and they magically fixed it.

A) is this still an option,

B) anyone know the command to execute in a shell to fix this?

Update: Also tried scheduling a shutdown and a restart hours later and unit restarted 10 sec after shutting down. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Last time did the unit continually reboot in a loop (i.e. never fully boot up)? Or what happened last time?

Sounds like you might have a failing PSU.

Message 2 of 19
netracer
Apprentice

I dont believe it was a continuous reboot, but it was so long ago I can't be sure.  I thought it was just a single reboot after shutdown.

I don't have any historical posts related to that issue so I can't confirm, but I know I had done it through the web site.

Message 3 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you recall which firmware you are running?

Sounds like you may have run into the endless reboot issue years ago, but that issue was fixed by a firmware update years ago now.

It does sound like this time it may be a failing PSU.

Can you connect the NAS to a different power outlet and see if it still has the issue?

Message 4 of 19
netracer
Apprentice

So just got back from vacation.  Before I left in order to get the unit to stay powered down, i removed the power cord.  Now that I'm back, I've reconnected the power supply and now nothing happens.  Unit won't power up.

This also seems to be an issue that was supposed to be remedied a few firmwares back, but required a remote ssh to fix once the device was bit by the bug (firmware update wouldn't undo the bad setting).  I'm not 100% on the firmware but I am pretty confident it was one revision prior to the latest (.26) but there is a small chance its at .25 but not older than that.

Message 5 of 19
netracer
Apprentice

found this old post (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Readynas-Pro-Pioneer-won-t-power-up/td-p/883700...

"Just a point, x-86 based units (Original Pros, NVX, Ultras and new Pros), if they have been powered down normally, should power back up automatically once power has been removed from the device and power is reapplied. One thing that will interfere with that is if the unit suddenly loses power, it must be manually restarted. Also if there was an automatic shut down/power up schedule in place, on some older firmware versions if you manually shut down the unit, you will have problems restarting the unit."

So I think I might have had a shutdown/startup time set while I was trying to troubleshoot the shutdown problem.  And being I was gone a week, I'm guaranteed to have hit the window I set.

So is there a way to jolt the system back up? (I'm hoping there's a set of jumpers somewhere)

Or do you know the pins i can test to see if the power supply is working?

Message 6 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With the Pro (6-bay) you can use a standard ATX PSU. Sounds like the PSU has failed to me.

The thread you linked to would be relevant to firmware much older than what you were running.

You could at least examine the outside of the PSU to look for obvious signs of failure.

Message 7 of 19
netracer
Apprentice

Thanks.  I'll test later in the week.  I'm heading off on a biz trip early in the morning.  No visible signs externally on the power supply.  Normally I'd agree, but the symptoms are so similar to previous issues and especially since she kept rebooting till I unplugged it to stop.  I've been in this business to long.  I've got a nickel that its not the ps, but I've been wrong before.... I shoulda been less of a cheap **bleep** and just let the thing run for a week while I was on vacation. 😞

We'll see when I slap an ATX PSU on it.  🙂

Message 8 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So it reboots continuously, never fully booting up? Ah.

Message 9 of 19
netracer
Apprentice

I swapped the power supply and now the system turned on (I had no memory or drives installed but the mobo powered up which is more than before).  So I'm ordering a new PS.

Three followup questions

1) the PS i tested is a 20pin atx, not 24pin like the original.  Since the additional pins 11,12,23,24 are power and not signaling it probably shouldn't make any difference in why the system powered up?

2) I recognize the party line will be to buy the same power supply, but without actually making a recommendation, do you know of more efficient (90 vs 80) and a more quiet PS that might fit?

3)  Somehow the 5 pin connector that goes from the front panel to the mobo (the one right next to the ribbon cable) got disconnected from the mobo and I don't know which header it plugs back into.  There seems to be three possible headers each with 2 rows.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Message 10 of 19
rantech
Aspirant

My ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer seems to have developed this same problem.  It boots and runs fine but when I shutdown (and turn off) using either the Web Interface or the Power button (hitting it twice), the unit shuts off and but then immediately restarts. It does a full complete start and appears to be running without problem. It does not continuously restart; it just won't completely shutoff.

Two other symptoms that may be related:

1) My Squeezebox Server application is no longer working properly. It says it is running but I can't access anything on port 9000 (I get an error). I have stopped and started the service but to no Avail.

2) When the unit is shutting down (before it shuts off and restarts), there is a moment where there are a number of distinct clicking sounds ... don't know if this is drives shutting down or something else.

I'm assuming the advice would be the same ... replace the power supply ... is any ATX PSU acceptable ? Is this something I can easily replace myself ?

Message 11 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Did you try disconnecting the NAS from the power for a while, and then restarting?

Message 12 of 19
rantech
Aspirant

Tried that as well (about 30 second disconnect from power).  The machine came up okay but still had the same symptoms after restarting. Since Squeezecenter stopped working as well, I'm not sure it's the power supply since that shouldn't have broke a service?  Was googling and saw an older thread from 2013 where someone was apparently advised that it could be a flash memory problem?

Message 13 of 19
StephenB
Guru

The challenge is that lots of symptoms can arise from both corrupt flash and bad power, so its hard to sort.

I'd try leaving the power disconnected for longer (several minutes).  The idea there is to ensure that the bios starts completely cleanly on detecting devices, and has no remnants still in memory.  That sometimes "resolves" bad behavior with PCs generally.  It is a long shot perhaps, but easy to try.

I believe the power supply in your current unit is likely a Seasonic Power Supply SS-300SFD.  You can buy those on-line for $50-$60 USD.

The PRO has a five year warranty, and if you are the original purchaser you might still be covered.  So you could contact support (if they conclude it is hardware and you are under warranty they will RMA a new unit).

Message 14 of 19
rantech
Aspirant

The unit was bought January 2010 so out of warranty but I'll try finding a new power unit. That's inexpensive.  Right now I'm reluctant to try the longer power shutdown as one fellow reported in a thread that his unit died completely after seeing these symptoms and then powering down for a week while on vacation. My critical stuff is backed up nightly but I'm scrambling to find some large drives to back up the rest of it as well (I back up to an older NVX which can't hold everything from the Pro)

Message 15 of 19
netracer
Apprentice

Ya, that was me.  Turned out to be a faulty power supply.  Replaced with an original seasonic from newegg (which requires some modification to drive cabling and 4" atx extension - i posted details in another post)

If you have a pc around with a 24pin atx power source you can use that to test the readynas to see if power is really your issue. You only need the 24 pin (actually a 20 pin atx will also work for testing) and the seperate 4 pin connector.  Don't power up any drives when you do the test.  You're really just looking to see if the thing powers up when you push the button.

While I had the shutdown problem, i didn't have any of the other software issues you describe, so there could be something else at play.  Are you running the latest software?  or a reasonably recent one?

Message 16 of 19
rantech
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I have ordered a new power supply and am waiting for it to arrive to give it a try. My unit still powers up with the original PS so the only way I can see to test is to install the new PS then fully power up then shutdown and see what happens. However I'm leaning more towards a memory problem given the software issues I'm seeing. Memory could account for that but not sure the PS could?

I do have the latest firmware installed and this problem just suddenly cropped up. box had run steady for at least 8 months with everything working then I tried to shutdown and it immediately started rebooting so I pulled the power cord. After relocating and rebooting, squeeze Center no longer worked.
Message 17 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@rantech wrote:
 However I'm leaning more towards a memory problem given the software issues I'm seeing. Memory could account for that but not sure the PS could?

You can run the memory test from the boot menu.  If you have ssh installed, you can check for a filling OS partition (and also use top to look at current memory usage).

Memory for the pro/ultra is older technology, and getting expensive.

Message 18 of 19
rantech
Aspirant

I managed to get the new power supply installed today and the problems have cleared so it was the power supply.  For good measure, I purchased some replacement memory as well but I didn't need to use it.  Will save it in case I need to replace that in the future as well.

Thanks to all the folks who responded.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements