× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Pro will not power on

xtrips1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro will not power on

Hello,

My NAS will not power on. This has happened only once in the past and somehow I managed to bring it up to life, after many scrares and efforts, and it worked more than 1 year straight, connected to a UPS without a hitch.

Lately, I went on vacation and forgot about what happened before, so I gracefully shut it down until I came back.

And now it won't power on.

To be more exact, in order to check it I moved it on my desk and hooked it to the power outlet. It didn't work at first, after I forgot about it an hour or so, I came back and it was lit. After I moved it back to where it should be, with the UPS and LAN access it wouldn't power on anymore. And this time it's been 2 days.

Now the questions are?

1) Is it the power supply? I don't know because it randomly lit up previously, it worked fine.

2) Is it maybe the buttons? or the circuitry?

Note: it is not under warranty anymore, and my local distributor says there is no chance of getting new parts for it (!)

3) If I was to get another similar device, of the same generation or later, would I be able to port my 6 HDDs to it with the data on them?

Thanks

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@xtrips1 wrote:

Ok. It's logical.

I'll order one.

Logical, but it could be wrong.  It is the cheapest thing to try though.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Try removing the disks (labeling by slot), and see if it powers up.  If that fails, try shifting it again to your desk.  If it powers up (either step),then  check with RAIDar, and see if RAIDar detects it (and shows "no disk" status).

If it is the supply, you can replace the PSU in the Pro.  It uses an sfx supply - for instance a SeaSonic SS-300SFD.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/Spare-ReadyNAS-Pro-6-Power-Supply/td-p/1006575

Another option is to get a new NAS (RN316 or RN516).  You will need storage to copy your data (the OS 6 NAS can mount the volume, but that is only temporary).  There is more information on that here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29876

Message 2 of 7
xtrips1
Aspirant

Hello Stephen,

It looks like you know your stuff. Following my description of events, do you think there is a strong probability that the power supply is responsible?

Because if you think so, I can try and replace it. That would be an "economically" viable solution for me. 

Along the years this NAS has become secondary, because it became full (15 TB) and I had to add another newer NAS.

But the data in it is very important to me and it has no backup. Where could I backup another 15 TB anyway?

BTW, for the moment I tried the first step, removing the HDDs, unsuccessfully.

I'll try the next one, moving it, tomorrow.

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Does anything happen when you turn on the power?  If you see no leds/nothing on the screen/no fan, then the power supply is likely the reason.

Message 4 of 7
xtrips1
Aspirant

The only thing that lits up are the Ethernet LEDs.

Power Supply you say....

Ok. It's logical.

I'll order one.

Thank you

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@xtrips1 wrote:

Ok. It's logical.

I'll order one.

Logical, but it could be wrong.  It is the cheapest thing to try though.

Message 6 of 7
xtrips1
Aspirant

No, Stephen. You were right!

I just installed the new PSU and now it's up and running.

Thank you

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements