× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro6 OS 6.1.6 - Antivirus makes NAS unusable - help

michaelvec
Tutor

ReadyNAS Pro6 OS 6.1.6 - Antivirus makes NAS unusable - help

readyNAS Pro6 legacy with 6.1.6 - DONT enable Antivirus!!!

Was running OS 6.1.6 for the last 2 weeks without any major problems. Today I enabled antivirus and the NAS is hanging in a booting state after trying to reboot. Display says Booting...
Putty logon doesnt work.

Connected the NAS with a keyboard and screen I get a login but after entering credentials no prompt is given.
GUI front end doesnt work of course.

Can anyone help before I am pushing the reset button and loose everything?

Any help appreciated.
Message 1 of 5
xeltros
Apprentice

Re: ReadyNAS Pro6 OS 6.1.6 - Antivirus makes NAS unusable -

I don't have the device and haven't seen any NAS with video out before so...
What I can tell is linux has a single user mode that can be of help here. Do you have a grub option to boot in that mode ?
You could also boot on debian install and use the rescue mode to disable the antivirus from the files. (Don't know if possible with the NAS)

You may also have two options to reset, the first one is like you said factory reset which will erase anything, but at least on newer devices you have the OS reinstall option that erases some settings, replace some files but do not touch the data.
Message 2 of 5
michaelvec
Tutor

Hi xeltros,

thanks so much for the reply. Really appreciate the help.
The reason I have the screen attached to the device is that I added a vga connector to the header on the board.

I believe the NAS has no grub option. At least I dont see the usual grub menu like on other debian systems. So no idea of how I can get the system into single user mode.

The device has the OS reinstall option but i am reluctant to use it. Dont know if I loose anything. However. it seems like this is the only option at this point.

Thanks again for all your insight and help!!!
Message 3 of 5
michaelvec
Tutor

i just use the paper clips and triggered the OS-Install option in the boot menu.
Device now shows:
ERR: Used disks
Check RAIDar.

Anyone who can help??
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Check your PM inbox.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats