× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN10400 will not power on.

MarkDowning
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN10400 will not power on.

My RN10400 failed yesterday, the last day of its warranty!

It will not power up.  Nothing happens when the power button is pressed.

The external power supply tests fine.

Can anyone offer help? (Or at least some pity for my horrible luck)

Thanks,

Mark

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RN10400 will not power on.

When you do migrate the disks, keep them in slot order, and of course migrate them with the RN214 powered down.

@MarkDowning wrote:

I have a fear that if I plug them in and turn it on; it will immediately begin to wipe the drives.

There's no issue with apps, since both units are ARM platforms.

It won't wipe the drives.  If the firmware is newer than what you running in the RN104, then the RN214 will update the disks to that newer version.  If the disks have newer software than is in the flash, then the RN214 will update it's own flash from the disks.

You can install a scratch disk first (by itself) if you want, and manually upgrade the RN214 if it has outdated firmware.  There should be a label somewhere on the unit telling you what is installed.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It is too bad.  I suggest trying support anyway (since it is covered on the last day of warranty).  If you remove the disks, does anything change?  (I do suggest keeping them ordered by slot).

If worse comes to worse, I suggest upgrading to an RN214 - it's quite a bit faster than the RN104.  Note you can migrate your disks to any OS 6 NAS.

Message 2 of 7
MarkDowning
Aspirant

I tried the online support but got nowhere.  Trying a phonecall wouldn't hurt, but I find no number on the site.

With all disks removed, nothing changes.  I tried inserting them one at a time - no difference.

Sincerest thanks for the upgrade suggestion.

I was wondering if another Netgear box would readily accept the drives and allow me to access the data.

I always was disappointed with the speed of the RN104.

Mark

Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, you could get e.g. a RN214, RN314, RN424 (once it's available), RN524X etc. There's quite a range of models that we have available.

Message 4 of 7
MarkDowning
Aspirant

I have an RN214 on order.

Now my question is, will I be able to simply plug the drives into the RN214, power it up and go?

Or will I need to do some setting up before installing the drives?

I have a fear that if I plug them in and turn it on; it will immediately begin to wipe the drives.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

When you do migrate the disks, keep them in slot order, and of course migrate them with the RN214 powered down.

@MarkDowning wrote:

There's no issue with apps, since both units are ARM platforms.

It won't wipe the drives.  If the firmware is newer than what you running in the RN104, then the RN214 will update the disks to that newer version.  If the disks have newer software than is in the flash, then the RN214 will update it's own flash from the disks.

You can install a scratch disk first (by itself) if you want, and manually upgrade the RN214 if it has outdated firmware.  There should be a label somewhere on the unit telling you what is installed.

Message 6 of 7
MarkDowning
Aspirant

Thanks a million for your help!

I am immensely greatful for the information as well as the peace of mind you have given me. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements