× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS RN202 fan at top speed (even when NAS is turned off)

Davius
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN202 fan at top speed (even when NAS is turned off)

As the title says, since yesterday my ReadyNAS RN202 has been running at full fan speed (4239RPM). Changing the profile from Quiet or Balanced has no effect.

CPU Temp is at 35ºC (95º F) and is updating (values are not stuck)

Disk 1 temp is 31ºC

Disk 2 temp is 30ºC

Upgraded the firmware to 6.10.1 just now to no avail.

Any help?

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202 2-Bay
Message 1 of 40
StephenB
Guru

If your NAS is still under warranty I would contact paid support (my.netgear.com).

The warranty is 3 years for the original purchaser.

Message 2 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply!

Well, i did try to do just that, but it refuses to register my product and I can't continue the process. I have all the necessary documents (invoice from Amazon, serial number) but it just throws me a "Error: Something went wrong! Please try again"

No matter how many times I try, always the same error.

Message 3 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@Davius wrote:

Well, i did try to do just that, but it refuses to register my product and I can't continue the process. I have all the necessary documents (invoice from Amazon, serial number) but it just throws me a "Error: Something went wrong! Please try again"

No matter how many times I try, always the same error.

Hopefully one of the Netgear mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) can help with that.

Message 4 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

Thanks a lot, @StephenB !! Hope some mods can chime in and help solve this issue. Is there a way for me to get in touch with them or they monitor these threads and will reply?

Message 5 of 40
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Davius,

You can send to me via PM (private message) me the serial number of your NAS, the proof of purchase, and the email address that you are using for your MyNETGEAR account. We will check why you are not able to register it.

Regards,

Message 6 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

Hey @JohnCM_S ! thanks for the response. I've sent you through PM the requested information.

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 40
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Davius,

I have forwarded this to an appropriate team that can fix this. I will provide you an update once I get feedback.

Regards,

Message 8 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

Thanks a lot, @JohnCM_S ! Really looking forward to it!

Message 9 of 40
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Davius,

We are not able to see your email address on our database. We already fixed that. Can you check if can register your device now?

Regards,

Message 10 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

Allright! I could register it, but it seems all my warranties are as good as expired. Oh boy, what are my options now? This is indeed very very unfortunate!

Message 11 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

So, to recap.

Temps seem OK (and sensor also seem OK, as the temperature updates regularly)

Fans is all times at full speed. Changing profile on the web interface does nothing (quite, balanced, etc). It's full on all the time, even when turned off (just connected to the power outlet).

Message 12 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@Davius wrote:

Allright! I could register it, but it seems all my warranties are as good as expired

Not sure what you mean by that.  Are you saying that you purchased the RN202 more than three years ago?

Message 13 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

@StephenB 

yes, exatcly one moth over the warranty... july 1st 2016 😥

Message 14 of 40
StephenB
Guru

Try powering down and disconnecting the main power for a bit, and then restarting the NAS (though if a reboot didn't do it, it's not very likely that a power cycle will).  Still, it's easy to try.

There's a chance that the controller in the fan has failed.  So you could also try replacing it (taking the risk that it isn't the system board). 

The fan is 92mm.  The depth is likely 25mm, but you should take off the skins and look at the current fan model, and check it's specs (including air flow).  While the skins are off, take a look at the fan connector and make sure it's fully seated.

Message 15 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

I left it powered of for 3 days now. Disconnected from the power outlet.

Plugged it in just now, and bam, fan at 100%.

So, IDK if the problem is software or hardware. I can get my hands on a fan with the same description but nothing guarantees that the problem is on the fan or the board, right?

Will try to do that in the weekend. And will come back at you @StephenB . Anyways, thanks a lot for your help.

Message 16 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@Davius wrote:

but nothing guarantees that the problem is on the fan or the board, right?

Correct.  So you'd be risking a small amount of money in the hopes that it's the fan.

If it's not, you'll need a new NAS.  You can directly migrate your current disks to any new OS-6 model.  The closest match to the one you have is the RN212.

Message 17 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

I understand. What a bummer! 1 month after the end of the warranty, it goes busted. Lucky me I guess. 😞

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help guys.

Message 18 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

Okey! I did try the fan thing you suggested @StephenB and it turns out the fan is not the problem.

Since I opened it to test a new fan, I did a little visual inspection, and this is what I did find:

https://i.imgur.com/qhUxBIr.jpg

Zooming in a bit, I saw this:

https://i.imgur.com/O78HdDU.jpg

And seeing it upfront, this seems to be the culprit of my issues:

https://i.imgur.com/Ah7C4Sl.jpg

So, by the looks of it, the C451 is kaput. Is this (possibly) the source of my problems? I have NO serious electronics background (other than fix simple stuff and build PCs), zero soldering experience and very poor understanding of electronics trails and whatnot. But, if someone here is more experienced on how this board works, and if this is indeed what's causing the fan to spin at 100% all the time, I have some questions:

1 - Is it SAFE to continue using the NAS as it is? Not 24/7, but for some burst periods of time (6-10 hours a day)? Does this Capacitor affects ONLY the Fan controls?

2 - What would be the reference/model of this capacitor? Since I'm out of warranty anyways, I might try to find someone in my city that has some experience with precision soldering IF doing that might fix this particular issue. If Netgear itself would be kind enough to make this repair (even with me paying for it, of course) this would be something to consider.

Thanks for all the help guys! I aks for this final stride to decide what to do next.

Cheers!

Message 19 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

Ok, it seems I can't post image links from imgur? I'm not familiar with the forum rules so please excuse me on this one 🙂

Okey! I did try the fan thing you suggested @StephenB and it turns out the fan is not the problem.

Since I opened it to test a new fan, I did a little visual inspection, and this is what I did find (see image attached)

Message 20 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

Zooming in a bit, I saw this (Attached image):

Message 21 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

And seeing it upfront, this seems to be the culprit of my issues (attached image):

So, by the looks of it, the C451 is kaput. Is this (possibly) the source of my problems? I have NO serious electronics background (other than fix simple stuff and build PCs), zero soldering experience and very poor understanding of electronics trails and whatnot. But, if someone here is more experienced on how this board works, and if this is indeed what's causing the fan to spin at 100% all the time, I have some questions:

1 - Is it SAFE to continue using the NAS as it is? Not 24/7, but for some burst periods of time (6-10 hours a day)? Does this Capacitor affects ONLY the Fan controls?

2 - What would be the reference/model of this capacitor? Since I'm out of warranty anyways, I might try to find someone in my city that has some experience with precision soldering IF doing that might fix this particular issue. If Netgear itself would be kind enough to make this repair (even with me paying for it, of course) this would be something to consider.

Thanks for all the help guys! I aks for this final stride to decide what to do next.

Cheers!

Message 22 of 40
Sandshark
Sensei

Netgear does not publish schematics, so it's impossible to tell what that capacitor does.  But it's unlikely it would be related to the fan speed.

Since your NAS is basically working, my guess is that it's just a decoupling capacitor.  A good engineer will sprinkle them around on a board to reduce noise, but losing one or two rarely has any adverse effect if they open and is catestrophic if they short.

Message 23 of 40
Davius
Aspirant

@Sandshark Indeed, and I'm not in any way wanting to have their schematics at all. I just wanted to know the specs of that capacitor so I could try to fix it myself instead of turning a possible repearable NAS into another piece of electronic trash into the bin.

So, it seems it is unlikely that the Capacitor is the problem. I changed the Fan and the problem persisted, so where is likely to be the issue then?

Cheers!

Message 24 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark I'm wondering if the issue is that the PWM controller on the system board has failed.

If that's the case, would a manual controller (for instance this: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-FC1-4-pin-PWM-Controller/dp/B072M2HKSn) be an option?  He'd have to be careful to keep an eye on the temps, but it seems to me it might let him quiet the fan down to a more usual RPM.  

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements