× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS RN204 - Add larger disk

wellbuttie
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN204 - Add larger disk

Hi,

I currently run my RadyNAS RN204 with a single 6TB Disk, which is running out of space. I have ordered a 10TB disk, and just want  to add it to expand the storage to 16TB for the ReadyNAS.

No Need for redundancy. As I already have separate backups,

The current configuration with the single drive installed is showing JBOD, with XRaid active (in Green), as per the screenshot.

Is there a simple way to add the 10TB Disk, with the current configuration, that is not destructive, that allows me to use the full capacity for storage. I dont mind considering treating the new 10TB Drive as a separate Volume.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Switch to flexraid on the volume page, and then hot-insert the new disk.  Then you can create a new volume using it.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
wellbuttie
Aspirant

Forget to mention the ReadyNAS is runing firmware 6.9.2

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You'll need to click the X-RAID button and confirm that you wish to disable X-RAID before adding the new disk. You should then be able to add the disk and create a volume using it.

With a single-disk X-RAID volume when you add a disk to an empty slot after a resync the volume will become redundant. What you want is to disable X-RAID and use Flex-RAID.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Switch to flexraid on the volume page, and then hot-insert the new disk.  Then you can create a new volume using it.

Message 4 of 5
wellbuttie
Aspirant

Many thanks Folks. That worked a treat. Exactly what I wanted 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements