× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS RN212 - NAS to NAS job speed issues - and limited Performance details on 212 Perf pane

steveTu
Apprentice

ReadyNAS RN212 - NAS to NAS job speed issues - and limited Performance details on 212 Perf pane

OS6.10.2

Next issue -  I have a ReadyNAS DUO with 1.5TB of data - and I want to copy the data from the DUO to the 212. I have set up a job with the DUO as the source and the 212 as the destination over an rsync link. I'm copying across just one 'share'  at the moment (circa 150GB) and I'm getting <4.0MB/s. This is on a home network via a gigabit switch.

The manual talks about System->Performance having graphical displays for Network/Volume/Utilisation, but I don't see those as I've got a 212 - so any idea what throughput I should be expecting and how I speed up the copies, as at 16GB an hour, I've got 10 hours or so just to do 150GB?

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 5
steveTu
Apprentice

Re: ReadyNAS RN212 - NAS to NAS job speed issues - and limited Performance details on 212 Perf pane

....and... I thought the backup wasn't doing anything as I looked at the share being restored from the DUO and the folder showed virtually no movement - I hadn't realised that hidden files weren't being shown. So I took a look via the redaycloud web client and that also doesn't appear to show hidden files. I can't see a setting to turn on showing hidden files in a folder. How do I see them?

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@steveTu wrote:

I can't see a setting to turn on showing hidden files in a folder. How do I see them?

You can access the share using SMB (on a PC) and then configure windows to show hidden files.  Of course you can look directly on the NAS by enabling ssh.

BTW, as far as rsync performance goes, it is limited by the Duo, not the RN212.

Message 3 of 5
steveTu
Apprentice

@StephenB 

Hidden Files - so I am not missing any setting. I thought the point of the readyCloud was to manage the data on the NAS from anywhere - I don't quite follow how that fully works without being able to see the hidden files. Backups of my home folders contain GB's of data in hidden files that all become inaccessible. Typically - last night the virus check on the 212 reported an issue with an EMail in a copied Evolution folder that is hidden - so I can't then use the readycloud to remove the file. OK - I take the point I can use NFS, SMB, SSH to see the hidden files - but I just don't follow the idea behind NOT then showing the files in readyCloud.

Rsync Speed - but it's only reading on the DUO - I'm certain (but no proof!) I've had far faster rates over rsync reading from the DUO. I'll run a test after the next backup finishes.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@steveTu wrote:

Hidden Files - so I am not missing any setting. I thought the point of the readyCloud was to manage the data on the NAS from anywhere - I don't quite follow how that fully works without being able to see the hidden files.

Personally I don't use ReadyCloud. I use OpenVPN in my Orbi router to access my home network while away.  So maybe consider other options for remote access.

@steveTu wrote:

Rsync Speed - but it's only reading on the DUO - I'm certain (but no proof!) I've had far faster rates over rsync reading from the DUO. I'll run a test after the next backup finishes.

The Duo V1's ancient Sparc processor is very slow by modern standards (the chip goes back to the early 2000s), and it doesn't have much Ram.  I haven't benchmarked rsync backups to/from the duo for a while, but my recollection is performance is quite a bit slower than SMB/NFS, and that is due to the CPU.  If you have ssh enabled, I guess you could use top on the duo while the transfer is running.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements