× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN3xx Performance Issues (145 Mbps instead of 500 Mbps)

matthew1471
Guide

ReadyNAS RN3xx Performance Issues (145 Mbps instead of 500 Mbps)

Had a performance issue with my ReadyNAS where just reading files was slow. Turned off SMB encryption then immediately re-tested and it made no difference.

Turns out for encryption settings to apply after changing them (at least on a per-share basis and in 6.9.4 hotfix 1) you need to either:

• Disable/re-enable SMB or
  • Fully reboot the NAS

"Desired" or "Required" both lead to encryption being enabled on a Windows 10 client and therefore a performance drop, "Enabled" is the only per-share setting to work without it on Windows 10 clients.

The RN3xx series gets around 144 / 145 Mbps of throughput when encryption is in use and 509+ Mbps when not.

Performance all great again! 🙂

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RN3xx Performance Issues (145 Mbps instead of 500 Mbps)

@matthew1471 wrote:

The RN3xx series gets around 144 / 145 Mbps of throughput when encryption is in use and 509+ Mbps when not.

500 mbps (~62 MB/s) still seems slow to me.  You should be getting around 100 MB/s for reads/writes of large sequential files over a wired gigabit network.  How are you testing this?  Is AV enabled on the NAS?

Newer NAS (RN 42x, RN52x, etc) have hardware support for SMB transport encryption, the RN3xx doesn't.

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StephenB wrote: "You should be getting around 100 MB/s for reads/writes of large sequential files over a wired gigabit network."

Can confirm read/write performance (unecrypted) on my wired gigabit network:

RN426 - 110MB/s (RAID6)

RN202 - 100MB/s (RAID5)

even my RN104 is getting 70MB/s (RAID0 and RAID1)

Message 3 of 7
matthew1471
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@matthew1471 wrote:

500 mbps (~62 MB/s) still seems slow to me.  You should be getting around 100 MB/s for reads/writes of large sequential files over a wired gigabit network.  How are you testing this?  Is AV enabled on the NAS?

Newer NAS (RN 42x, RN52x, etc) have hardware support for SMB transport encryption, the RN3xx doesn't.

They're Western Digital RED drives so the 52,000 RPM might be limiting it.. along with the Asus RT-AC68U (in "media bridge" mode, looking to get that replaced in future possibly with a MIkrotik) and probably the Realtek Gigabit NIC with offloading enabled isn't helping... also the CAT6 cable is running along the power brick and next to a UPS.. could fiddle with the setup some more to get more throughput but mainly just pleased I'm not having access being 3 times slower.

Using hashcheck to generate hashes so the file is just being read and not stored (didn't want the disk drive of the device I'm copying to to be a factor)

The speeds also increased a bit more after performing a defrag.

No AV, No file search (I saw the RN316 have connection stability issues with that, separate post 🙂 )

Interesting the newer models do hardware offloading of the encryption, probably another thing to list to my thread on the differences between RN3xx vs RN4xx  :).

@Retired_Member wrote:

@StephenB wrote: "You should be getting around 100 MB/s for reads/writes of large sequential files over a wired gigabit network."

Can confirm read/write performance (unecrypted) on my wired gigabit network:

RN426 - 110MB/s (RAID6)

RN202 - 100MB/s (RAID5)

even my RN104 is getting 70MB/s (RAID0 and RAID1)

RAID5/6 might be a bad comparison for performance as it'll use the stripe to retrieve the file. This is just a RN312 with RAID1.

Might also be bitrot detection that means I won't get the full 100MB/s... but 70MB/s (after defrag) is close enough :). 18MB/s was painful (my Internet connection was faster)!

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@matthew1471 wrote:

They're Western Digital RED drives so the 5200 RPM might be limiting it

No.  I use WDC Reds, and I see much faster speeds on my RN500 series NAS ( using 10 gig ethernet), and 100 MB/sec in my older Pro-6.

@matthew1471 wrote:

Using hashcheck to generate hashes so the file is just being read and not stored (didn't want the disk drive of the device I'm copying to to be a factor)

That might be the limiting factor then.  You could try using NAStester ( http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance ), and set the target to the NAS share.

Message 5 of 7
matthew1471
Guide

I have replaced cables, switches, clients etc and one thing that seems consistent is the ReadyNAS either reports dropped frames or the switch (if capable) detects Ethernet PAUSE frames being transmitted from it.

I am using Windows 10 clients that negotiate SMB_3.1 and the ReadyNAS logs state it is doing signing.. in SMB 3.1 they upped the strength of the signing algorithm to something less favourable for embedded hardware (AES-128-CMAC in SMB 3 from SMB 2's HMAC-SHA256 and from SMB 1's MD5*). I suspect there might be a performance drop with SMB 3 clients if the client even proposes the NAS signing?

Much happier the performance has gone up by nearly 4 times though by changing the encryption on that share to just "Enabled" and rebooting! So not a large dealbreaker if I can't eek out that final 30% performance increase.

* Source = https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/openspecification/2017/05/26/smb-2-and-smb-3-security-in-windows-10...

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Check the advanced SMB settings for the share, and see if "strict sync" is enabled.  Turning that off can give you a big speed in some situations.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements