× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS RN628X stuck booting after confirming reboot to install firmware 6.10.0

JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS RN628X stuck booting after confirming reboot to install firmware 6.10.0

@ronaldvr2132

We are further checking the issue on your NAS. I will provide you an update once I get feedback from L3.

@zeke561

Can you access the boot menu? If you are able to access it, please try doing an OS reinstall and see what happens.

If you are not able to access the boot menu, have you tried doing the USB boot recovery?

Regards,

Message 26 of 61
zeke561
Guide

I have not had time to try these things. I will try to get to it today. RIght now I am trying to make sure I have a backup of my backups.

Message 27 of 61
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ronaldvr2132

For the console output, can you confirm if you are using the Silabs driver

Message 28 of 61
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Yes I do. I have tried two PC's one Windows 7 and tried both Windows 7 drivers (no guidance was given which one to use) and I also installed the Windows 10 drivers on a Windows 10 PC and then connected the RN628X.

Message 29 of 61
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Any new on how I can get my RN628X back online after the Netgear firmware upgrade process has putten it into a mode where it can't be used any longer?

Message 30 of 61
StephenB
Guru

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

Any new on how I can get my RN628X back online after the Netgear firmware upgrade process has putten it into a mode where it can't be used any longer?

It might go faster if you use paid support (my.netgear.com) - though of course it would cost.

Message 31 of 61
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

I am not willing to pay for a fault that Netgear has made. A firmware update should not result in a NAS that is not working any longer!  I am a long time customer of Netgear gear and have the last two years experienced more issues caused by firmware updates then in the 10+ years before. I hope Netgear will get back to the quality level I am used to and for this issue I hope we can resolve it quickly!

Message 32 of 61
StephenB
Guru

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

I am not willing to pay for a fault that Netgear has made. 

I'm a customer too, and I totally get that.  But depending on the mods here will slow the process down.  So if the situation becomes truly urgent it is something to consider (although annoying).

Another (also painful) path is to do a factory reset and rebuild the NAS.  If you decide to do that, I suggest powering down and inserting a scratch disk.  Make sure you get a clean factory install with 6.10.0.  Then do the real reset with your existing disks.

BTW, what apps do you have installed?  It's possible that an app is getting in the way of the update.

Message 33 of 61
zeke561
Guide

Just to jump in here, I have experienced the same problem, and I have no apps beyond whatever is installed by default.

Message 34 of 61
StephenB
Guru

@zeke561 wrote:

Just to jump in here, I have experienced the same problem, and I have no apps beyond whatever is installed by default.

Please open your own topic, including the NAS model and the info on the apps.

It's very confusing to keep track of where different people are at when they are sharing a single thread.

Message 35 of 61
ronaldvr2132
Apprentice

Hi @StephenB thanks for jumping in. I have no apps installed on my RN628X sot hat can't be a reason for the failure to upgrade and get into an unresponsive mode. My NAS is holding data so a factory reset is the last thing I want to do. And as to the message of @zeke561, so far  it seems to me that is is exactly the same issue. I am not sure if you (@zeke561) already have tested if you can get into the boot menu (to do an OS reinstall), get into the USB recovery mode or if it is possible to get data out of the NAS when booting via the console cable method (connection a micro USB cable to the NAS and installing Serial to USB drivers) to troubleshoot why the NAS is not booting and sticks to the message Booting.... For me none of the three methods seems to work. My NAS is only showing Booting.... For me all people sharing issues on failures caused with the upgrade to Firmware 10.0.0 are welcomed so that hopefully the root cause can be found sooner and more important can be solved.

Message 36 of 61
zeke561
Guide

@ronaldvr2132 I think my experience is the same as yours. Trying to access the boot menu, I get the welcome msg for about 15 seconds, then I get the Booting... msg. I tried the USB recovery tool, and the same thing happens. The only caveat is the article does not actually have my model (524X) or yours listed. There is no backup button so I tried the OK button. I noticed the instructions for the rack-mount models say to press the reset button instead of the backup or ok buttons, so I might try that, but I would be hesitant to do that w/o confirming that w/ support.

BTW I have not tried the console method.

Message 37 of 61
StephenB
Guru

@zeke561 wrote:

The only caveat is the article does not actually have my model (524X) or yours listed.

Personally I think the hardware manuals are the best guides for the boot menu (and many other topics).  http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

See pages 128-129 (524x) and 146-147 (628x).

@ronaldvr2132 wrote:

For me all people sharing issues on failures caused with the upgrade to Firmware 10.0.0 are welcomed so that hopefully the root cause can be found sooner and more important can be solved.

It's fine to share information.  But for the people trying to help you troubleshoot it quickly gets confusing.  It's really hard to track who's done what, let alone the results each person got.  Also, even if the symptoms are the same, the root causes might not be - so the troubleshooting often goes in different directions.  It's much easier if there are separate topics for each problem.  

Message 38 of 61
zeke561
Guide

@StephenB I appreciate your input, as @ronaldvr2132 does. And I am aware I am a guest in this thread. But it's my understanding @JohnCM_S  was conducting this discussion? I'm certainly willing to open a separate thread if he wishes that. Or stay silent. Honestly, I don't really have anything to add at this point anyway, other than "me too". My experience is identical to @ronaldvr2132. So I'm sure I will learn something simply by listening.  Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 61
zeke561
Guide

I'd like to apologize for my last post. This is a community forum that depends on volunteers who take their time to assist others, and I am grateful for the assistance. I will continue to follow this discussion.

Message 40 of 61
StephenB
Guru

@zeke561 wrote:

I'd like to apologize for my last post. This is a community forum ...

Certainly accepted.

Though this is a community forum, this particular problem is looking like it's something only Netgear can fix - and at the moment they don't have much information to work with.

I sent you a PM earlier today that has a couple of suggestions  If you do have the time/inclination to try them (posting the results here), it might provide them with the clues they need.  The one that likely adds the most value is seeing if you can get the console output working.

Message 41 of 61
zeke561
Guide

Thanks, I have tried to access the boot menu and use the usb recovery tool, with the same results as @ronaldvr2132. Basically there is nothing that differs from what I've seen simply trying to boot the machine. I.e. a front panel welcome msg followed by a perpetual booting... message. The only change is the amount of time the welcome stays on screen. I can try to open the console, in the interest of leaving no stone unturned. If I was a gambler, I would be pretty sure I know which result I would be putting my money on. Smiley Happy

Message 42 of 61
StephenB
Guru

Did you try booting into tech support mode (with disks installed)?

If that fails, then you might consider requesting an RMA.

Message 43 of 61
zeke561
Guide

As I recall the only way I know of to boot into the tech support mode is thru the boot menu? And I do not get a boot menu when I follow the instructions for bringing it up. A I recall @ronaldvr2132 had the same result.

Message 44 of 61
StephenB
Guru

@zeke561 wrote:

And I do not get a boot menu when I follow the instructions for bringing it up. 

Well, the suggestion is that if the NAS can't boot into tech support mode then it you could contact Netgear support and request an RMA. They likely will start with the USB recovery procedure (not sure how far you got with that).

If you can't get the USB recovery to work with their assistance, then it seems to me that your situation (which looks like a normal firmware update resulted in corrupt flash memory) should be covered by the warranty.

Message 45 of 61
zeke561
Guide

Yes, I tried the USB recovery per the article that was linked to above, with the caveat that the details in the article differed for my model as I could not find a backup button (this procedure did not appear in the hardware manual for my model), and I guessed what button to push. I used The OK button. The only other likely option would be the reset button. I didn't really want to use that w/o knowing what it would do.

Anyway using the OK button  there was no response - in other words, welcome followed by booting... on the front panel.

Message 46 of 61
StephenB
Guru

@zeke561 wrote:

I could not find a backup button (this procedure did not appear in the hardware manual for my model), and I guessed what button to push. I used The OK button.

The KB article says to use the OK button. so you did the right thing.

https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system wrote:

If your ReadyNAS system is an RN420, RN520, or RN620 series:

1. After powering on the ReadyNAS system, wait for the backlight on the navigational buttons to turn off.
  2. Instead of the Backup button, press and hold the OK button (the center of the navigational buttons) for up to 30 seconds, until the LCD confirms that the ReadyNAS is attempting to boot from the USB drive.

The NAS is rather fussy about USB drives though, so if you have a few on hand you might want to try a different one.  Generally older ones work better.

Message 47 of 61
zeke561
Guide

Ah, thanks, I thought those were different models than mine w/ the "X" in the model. Anyway, I think I have an old USB drive at home I can try.

Message 48 of 61
zeke561
Guide

I tried another USB drive (made sure it was USB 2 and pretty old). This did not work.

The instructions are not entirely clear to me. What I tried was:

A. This ignores the first part of step 3 and ONLY perfoms the bulleted actions for my model:

1 put prepared USB drive into front port

2 power on

3 wait for nav. lights to go out

4 press OK for 30+sec

B. This does the first part of step 3, substituting OK for backup, AND does the bulleted actions for my model:

2 Press and hold OK while powering on and for 15 sec afterward

3 Wait for nav. lights to go out

4 press OK for 30+sec

C. This does the first part of step 3, substituting OK for backup, and press OK for 30sec instead of 15sec.

1 put prepared drive into front port

2 Press and hold OK while powering on and for 30sec afterward.

Message 49 of 61
StephenB
Guru

IT is needlessly confusing.  It would be better to just have independent instructions for each set of products (4 instruction sequences if I counted correctly).

The way I read it, "A" is the right option. ...

2 power on

3 wait for nav. lights to go out

4 press OK for 30+sec or until the LCD confirms that the ReadyNAS is attempting to boot from the USB drive.

Message 50 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 60 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements