× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS RNDP600E fails to power up - how to recover

cmelkin
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RNDP600E fails to power up - how to recover

Over the weekend after a power outage in my area my ReadyNas Pro Pioneer is not powering up.

When the power is switched on only the network lights flicker, other than that nothing powers on at all.

No fans, no front panel, nothing seem to be powering on.

I assume the Power Supply or motherboard has been damaged by the power outage.

My Readynas 312 sitting next to it was unaffected.

Any ideas or help to get it working again would be appreciated.

A co-worker suggested if I get the same series ReadyNas unit, and put the drives in the same location, ie Drive 1 in Bay 1 from one unit to the other that I may be able to bring back up the raid array and then copy all the data off it.

Could this be is true If so can anyone suggest what models of ReadyNas may be compatible to try and recover my data.

Eg. I Have seen a 2nd hand ReadyNAS Ultra 6 RNDP600U on ebay for sale and other readynas units. Would this be compatible and if I buy will it help recover my data.

Any help anyone  can suggest will be greatly appreciated.

Is there a way to confirm if the motherboard or Power Supply is the issue and can either or both of these be replaced and if so any suggestions on where to get these items would be appreciated.

Thanks Craig

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

You might power down the NAS,  remove all the disks (labeling them by slot) and then power up.  RAIDar should detect the NAS (with a no disk status) and you should also see no disks on the LCD.

You can transfer your disks to any 6-bay pro or ultra model, though some used equipment is itself defective.  Put in a scratch disk on the replacement unit first, and then match the firmware to what you were running on the pro.  

You could alternatively get another RN316.  It is possible to insert your pro drives in the RN316, and off-load the data.  Then you can do a reset on the RN316, configure it and restore the data.

You might want to check the warranty status on the  RNDP600E - the usual warranty is 5 years, so it is possible it is actually still covered.  The PSU can be replaced (if you can't find any guides in the forum, post back).  I don't know of any easy way to isolate the problem to the PSU (and of course both the PSU and the system board could have been damaged).

I recommend getting UPS for the RN316 (it can be shared with the Pro or whatever ReadyNAS you replace it with).

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

A standard ATX supply can be used to power it for the purposes of determining if it's the supply or something else and to rescue your data.  If it is the supply, it's fairly easily replaced.  Suitable replacement is available from Newegg.  You need an ATX 24-pin extender, too.  There are threads in the forum about this.

Message 3 of 6
cmelkin
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen

Netgear Support tells me my unit is just out of warranty ealier this year

Thanks for the idea

I saw an ultra model on Ebay, so may try that

Netgear support seem to indicate that I it needs to be the exact same model

I will use a scatech disk and update the firmware of the ultra and then try taking my drive across.

I will also invest in a UPS to stop this in the future

WIth you concept of getting a RN316, would a RN516 work the same.

So you are saying I jsut put my drives in and then it should read and then copy the data it to another drive and then reset to factory defaults and then copy the data back, it that correct??

Thanks again

Message 4 of 6
cmelkin
Aspirant

Thank Sandshark

I will try power supply and if it is the issue and if its the motherboard then I need to look to other options.

LIke the Ultra that I see on Ebay at the moment. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231848347749?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I will also look up the other posts about the power supplies

Thanks again

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@cmelkin wrote:

WIth you concept of getting a RN316, would a RN516 work the same.

So you are saying I jsut put my drives in and then it should read and then copy the data it to another drive and then reset to factory defaults and then copy the data back, it that correct??

Yes, either an RN316 or an RN516 would work the same.

The process isn't completely automatic - you would need to manually off-load the data, and restore it later.  There's a knowledge base article here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29957

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements