× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RNDu4000 - disk has failed, I have a new one, can't seem to replace properly

TBArch
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RNDu4000 - disk has failed, I have a new one, can't seem to replace properly

hello - I hope this request to the ether is picked up...

I have a ReadyNAS RNDu4000  Ultra 4 [X-Raid2] (4 x 2TB drives, firmware RAIDiator 4.2.27,

it has been great, now 8 years old. A disk has failed ("disk 3").  I have a new disk but I can't locate which one is failed (at least I don't think I can). I pulled out the one in slot 3 (assuming that was disk 3) but when the NAS rebooted the volume was lost.

I have tried to 'locate' the failed disk - using the 'locate' button but no matter which disk I choose only 1 light flashes.

So now I'm not sure whether I a) pulled out the right drive and b) there is a problem with the replacement drive  and/or c) there is something else I need to do to get it to rebuild. 

OR that i haven't pulled out the right drive anyway.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Model: RNDU4000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 4)|READYNAS ULTRA 4 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RNDu4000 - disk has failed, I have a new one, can't seem to replace properly

Unfortunately this is something you really need to be careful about.

Power down the NAS and put back the original drive.  Then try booting up skipping the file system check (see pages 21-22 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_NVX_Pro_HW_en_8July11.p... ).    If you are lucky, then your data volume will show up again.

Paid Netgear Support (via my.netgear.com) should also be able to remount your volume for you.  No idea what they will charge, but you should probably ask for per-incident support, since it is the cheapest.

@TBArch wrote:

A disk has failed ("disk 3").  I have a new disk but I can't locate which one is failed (at least I don't think I can). I pulled out the one in slot 3 (assuming that was disk 3) but when the NAS rebooted the volume was lost.

Most of the messages are numbered 1-4, but I think there are some that are numbered 0-3.  The web UI and RAIDar should have have a visual indicator (the drive "ball" icon should have been red for the failed drive).

You can download the full log zip file from the admin UI, and the logs there should tell you the serial number.  Also, in most cases the drive in the first slot is /dev/sda and the drive in the last slot is /dev/sdd.  However, this will change when you hot-insert a new drive in the NAS.

If you can connect the disks to a Windows PC, then you can just test them with vendor tools (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).  If you do this, label the disks by slot number when you remove them, so you don't lose track of which disk goes in which slot.

Message 2 of 4
TBArch
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS RNDu4000 - disk has failed, I have a new one, can't seem to replace properly

Hello Stephen - thanks so much for the comprehensive reply.

With the old disk put back in the system is accessible (once a 'resync Vol C' has completed) but unstable (some of the files were no longer accessible the next morning).

We tried 2 types of replacement disks but when the system boots up the log message just says "Volume Scan failed to run properly" followed by another message saying the "paths for the shares could not be found". The plug in of a new disk & the RAID system rebuilding itself hasn't worked. 

So basically it isn't working - your suggestion of paid incident support is a good one but I can't seem to find anything through netgear.

The system has served me well - might be time to either upgrade the NAS or find another solution. 

thanks again

Model: RNDU4220|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 4TB (2 x 2TB Desktop)
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@TBArch wrote:

With the old disk put back in the system is accessible (once a 'resync Vol C' has completed) but unstable (some of the files were no longer accessible the next morning).

Were you able to off-load them before they disappeared?

@TBArch wrote:

We tried 2 types of replacement disks but when the system boots up the log message just says "Volume Scan failed to run properly" followed by another message saying the "paths for the shares could not be found". The plug in of a new disk & the RAID system rebuilding itself hasn't worked. 

Did you identify the disk that was failing first?  You can download the log zip file and look in mdstat.log.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements