× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS, RSYNC, Windows ACLs and XigmaNAS

rapple
Aspirant

ReadyNAS, RSYNC, Windows ACLs and XigmaNAS

So, I have a new XigmaNAS server and an old ReadyNAS 10TB server (95% full). They are connected and can talk directly over a dedicated link. Sorry but it was much cheaper to build a 50TB server than buy one of the newer Netgear Boxes.
The objective is to have the READYNAS device become the backup server once the data has been copied over.

I currently use Netgear's RSYNC to auto backup from the ReadyNAS to an even older ReadyNAS (DUoV2) and all is fine. I can then mount the backup shares under windows and all the permissions are intact.

During testing I couldn't get a ReadyNAS Rsync job to log in correctly to the Xigmanas server so I've set the XigmaNAS as a client, set up RSYNC under share/network access and run a job to transfer a small share from ReadyNAS. All appears to transfer. At the root level of the share I can happily create/edit/delete documents. However at lower level directories I can read but not write anything. or I can't access some directories i.e. permissions aren't being transferred.

When I look at the permissions I can see, the ReadyNAS security list looks much more like a "normal" Windows ACL and includes CREATOR OWNER, CREATOR GROUP with owners and users listed from the ReadyNAS device. The XigmaNAS list is essentially all special permissions for XigmaNAS users and deosn't include the CREATOR permissons.

The Windows ACLs aren't complicated but I'd rather continue to use them as most of the clients used here are windows.

I think that the ZFS datasets and SMB shares are set up correctly on XigmaNAS to inherit ACLs and permissions. I can copy the same share using a windows client and all seems to be OK. So I'm guessing that it's either RSYNC itself or RSYNC combined with how the two different systems store the Windows ACLs. but reading the docs for SAMBA, RSYNC, ReadyNAS and XigmaNAS at "user" level isn't giving me a direction to try next. There's many a thread covering where it doesn't work but haven't ofund much that's helpful in a general sense or specific to these two environments.

Obviously I could use a Windows client, but tying up a windows machine to transfer 10TB over the main network rather than use the direct port to port link between the two boxes seems mad. In any case I wouldn't then have a solution for automated backup between XigmaNAS and ReadyNAS going forward.

So I'd either like to get this working or if that isn't possible find another way to copy windows shares between the two boxes.

Has anyone else done this or if you can explain or point to references that explain how either XigmaNAS or Readynas or both use (are configured for) SAMBA and RSYNC that would be helpful.

Thanks

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS, RSYNC, Windows ACLs and XigmaNAS

Linux permissions always include an owner (aka creator) user and group, so you are mis-interpreting something.

You may need to reset the permissions on the share(s).  In the Share settings, insure everything is as you want it in File Access/Security, then select Reset at the left and click the box.  It can take a bit before the NAS will report it has completed the task if you have a lot of files and folders.

Message 2 of 8
rapple
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Sandshark, but I'm not quite sure what you are referring to here when you say Linux. Do you mean ReadyNAS OS? Which system are you talking about?

There's nothing wrong with the ReadyNAS solution as I've been running with it for a number of years. Windows ACL's seem  to work fine and transfer fine.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the XigmaNAS setup either, but FreeBSD and ZFS are new to me so there's always scope there for errors.

I think the issue is in the transfer from one box to the other and I'm trying to work out why. It may well be that RSYNC isn't smart enough to do what I need it to do and that Netgear have coded something specific with their Rsync solution  (as I said, it works between my Netgear boxes) . It may just be that I need to configure Rsync a bit better or it may be that I need to do something specific on each environment (NAS box). What I'm really after is understanding how it works on each OS or if I'm really, really lucky to find someone that has already done it!

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@rapple wrote:

and that Netgear have coded something specific with their Rsync solution 

It's just linux rsync.  I'm not 100% sure of the command line options, but there is nothing they have "coded".

@rapple wrote:

All appears to transfer. At the root level of the share I can happily create/edit/delete documents. However at lower level directories I can read but not write anything. or I can't access some directories i.e. permissions aren't being transferred.

File Permissions in linux are linked to the UID/GID used by your account.  The UID/GID of the transfered files aren't remapped by rsync.  You can see the UID/GID of the files with ls -n

Since you want the XigmaNAS to become the main NAS, then the simplest thing to do is to reset the permissions on the XigmaNAS (for instance with chmod and/or chown,chgrp) and see if that solves your access problem.

Another option is to change your account UID or GID to match the UID or GID of the files..

A third option is create a user account on the RN104 that has the same UID/GID as the account on the XigmaNAS.  Then set the share(s) to that user/group, and then re-apply reset the file permissions on the NAS as suggested by @Sandshark.  Then run rsync again (it should run pretty quickly). 

Message 4 of 8
rapple
Aspirant

Ah, a light may be dawning here.

So Rsync knows nothing about Windows ACLs stored in extended attributes?

Rsync transfers and preserves the file level UID/GID of the source system, it doesn't use the UID/GID already set on the target and allow usual permission inheritance through masks?

This wouldn't matter on the old NETGEAR NAS'es because I created the 5 user ID's in sequence, so they are the same on both but probably not on the new box.

I wonder if RSYNC understands the ZFS user group and ACLs, probably not... and these are another level of file security at file system level. I did set these as open as I could so that they weren't getting in the way but that may not be what's actually happening.

In either case I guess if the file system permissions aren't correct this may also be getting in the way of me as a user reading teh Windows ACLs through extended attributes.

All of which is not brilliant news to use RSYNC as a xfer mechanism to a backup server where I can simply map into  the backups from a Windows client.

I guess I need to do some extended testing on files xferred and look for alternate solutions.

I may try your suggestion of chmod. I was hoping to avoid such but if it works and relatively quickly...

Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@rapple wrote:

So Rsync knows nothing about Windows ACLs stored in extended attributes?

Did you use -A (--acls) in your rsync command?

That would preserve Linux ACLs  But I still don't think that will remap UID/GID.

Message 6 of 8
rapple
Aspirant

Stephen the answer is I don't honestly know because like ReadyNAS, XigmaNAS tries to present a GUI in front of the commands, which 90% of the time works fine. I would imagine it does because there's an ACL flag in there.

It's also not a Linux Box, it's FreeBSD and the filesystem is ZFS and the ACLS are NFS4.

Having got an SSH shell up and running I've been digging into the permissons and the ACL's on the directory tree. The permissions are being created fine in line with the owner and group that will access them but there's clearly something not right in the filesystem ACLs. They are too restrictive for anyone but the owner, which is root.

More investigation required tomorrow with a fresh mind.

One question though,  on the Netgear getfacl returns rwx for each user and group so I assume it's POSIX ACLs. Do you happen to know if this is the case? And does it (Netgear) use extended attributes for Windows ACLs? If it does there's a chance I can get these across once I sort out what's going on with the initial ACL config on the FreeBSD box. There's a recent ref to achieving this here: https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3628891

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@rapple wrote:

One question though,  on the Netgear getfacl returns rwx for each user and group so I assume it's POSIX ACLs.

I believe that POSIX is the only ACL in linux systems.  But I could be wrong about that, it's not something I've spent much time on.

@rapple wrote:

And does it (Netgear) use extended attributes for Windows ACLs? 

Again, I believe there only are POSIX ACLs with linux.

BTRFS does support ACLs, and they are set on some of my shares - but not all.  I'm not seeing an obvious pattern on which shares have it set and which ones do not. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements