× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Raid 10 Volume Disappeared

SWolfer
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Raid 10 Volume Disappeared

Hi

I am running a RAID 10 (4 4TB Disks) on a ReadyNAS G214.  One of the disks failed.  The remaining 3 disks are all fine.  The NAS ran in degraded mode while I awaited a new disk.  Before the disk arrived, the volumes in the NAS suddenly disappeared and it obviously isn't rebuilding the RAID once I inserted the new disk (8TB).  The original 3 disks still show that they are fine and in the logs they show that they contain data.  I am not able to access that data (even when I attach the disk to a PC through a USB Disk reader).  I thought the whole point of RAID 10 was double redundancy so that the loss of a single disk would not ruin the volume.  Any guidance as to how to recover the volume (seems like the data is there) would be much appreciated?  Also, I am powering the NAS down and it seems to be stuck with the screen showing (Powering Off/Goodbye) - I am letting it run, but eventually, if it doesn't resolve, I guess I will have to cut the power to it.  I didn't want to create a new volume for fear it would either overwrite the original volume or overwrite some of the data.  How do I resolve this issue and not lose my data?

Thanks

Message 1 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS Raid 10 Volume Disappeared

The drives are not in a format accessible by a Windows PC, so that's not going to work.  Can you get into the GUI at all?  If so, what message(s) do you see with regard to the volume?  How about in RAIDar?  Are you comfortable using SSH and the Linux command line (as fixing it may require you use it)?

That the "Goodbye" message stays up and the NAS does not actually turn off seems to be saying something.  Typically, it will end up showing something else, so I'm unsure what that means.  But it seems likely something in the OS is corrupt.  Maybe a hardware issue, but I'm not convinced at this point.

Can you access the boot menu?  If you can, try booting in read-only mode with each set of two drives in case the issue is just with yet another drive.  If it does boot, then get your backup in order and then try a standard boot.

A simple OS re-install may be in order, but I'd hold off on that until you provide more details and we can see if it seems appropriate.

Message 2 of 15
SWolfer
Aspirant

Thank you

That the "Goodbye" message stays up and the NAS does not actually turn off seems to be saying something.  Typically, it will end up showing something else, so I'm unsure what that means.  But it seems likely something in the OS is corrupt.  Maybe a hardware issue, but I'm not convinced at this point.

I ended cutting the power and it auto-restarted when I plugged it in.

Can you access the boot menu?  If you can, try booting in read-only mode with each set of two drives in case the issue is just with yet another drive.  If it does boot, then get your backup in order and then try a standard boot.

Not sure how to boot in read-only mode, but it booted up fine and I can access it through the GUI.  This is what it shows:

NASG214Volumes.JPGNASG214.JPG

The OS seems fine.  It seems to be that it lost the volume pointers.

Thanks again for your help and please let me know what else you might need

Message 3 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

You boot in read-only mode via the boot menu.  See How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-102-202-212-or-312 .  The reason for booting in read-only is to keep the drives from becoming more out of sync before you determine which ones work (if any combination does).  At this point, I'd try the drives in bays 2 and 3 first.

If you can't get it to boot with a readable volume, it would be best if somebody reviews your log files to see what recovery method may work for you.  You can't (and don't want to) post the log file here.  You'll have to put it on a file sharing site (such as Dropbox or Google Drive) and ask a moderator or perhaps @StephenB to review it.  With recent changes in moderators here, I'm not sure who that would be.  And I'm just not the right guy for it.

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

You boot in read-only mode via the boot menu.  See How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-102-202-212-or-312 . 

@SWolfer@Sandshark accidentally gave you the link for 2-bay NAS.  Your RN214 instructions are different:

Message 5 of 15
SWolfer
Aspirant

@Sandshark Thank you

@StephenB Thank you. I successfully rebooted in read-only mode.  I will send the logs through PM to see if there is something that can be done to rebuild the volumes.

Message 6 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

When you say "successfully rebooted", you mean with access to your data but it shows it as "degraded"?  If so, the next step is to back up your data.  From there, you can boot normally and either add the drives back in to add the desired redundancy or destroy the existing volume and create a new one.  Adding the drives back will take longer to do two sync's, but starting with a new volume means having to restore all the data.  When adding the other drives, you may need to format them on the NAS or remove all partitions from them with a PC before installation.

Message 7 of 15
SWolfer
Aspirant

Successfully rebooted in read-only mode

It still is not showing any volumes

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@SWolfer wrote:

It still is not showing any volumes

As I suggested in the PM, a new set of logs might show if the NAS is attempting to mount the volume (and if it is, what is failing).

Message 9 of 15
SWolfer
Aspirant

Thanks

So you suggest powering down and then reboot in read-only mode and get a fresh set of logs?

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@SWolfer wrote:

So you suggest powering down and then reboot in read-only mode and get a fresh set of logs?

Yes.  It might not be useful, but the current logs aren't giving any clues on the next steps.

Message 11 of 15
SWolfer
Aspirant

OK, did the restart into read-only boot and sent the logs

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@SWolfer wrote:

OK, did the restart into read-only boot and sent the logs

I should have also said to remove the 8 TB exos while the NAS was powered down.  It's generating a flood of error messages, and isn't even showing up in disk_info.log.

Then boot up, and send me new logs.

FWIW, this isn't looking good.  I think you will likely need to try RAID recovery software (like ReclaiMe) - which would also require getting suitable USB dock(s) to connect the disks to a windows PC.

Message 13 of 15
SWolfer
Aspirant

The 8TB disk is not in the NAS

There are 4 4TB disks in, with the disk in slot 1 being the failed disk

Should I remove the failed disk and restart?

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@SWolfer wrote:

Should I remove the failed disk and restart?

Yes.  Then send new logs.  My hope (perhaps not likely) is that the NAS will attempt to mount the data volume with it removed.

There's other things going on with the OS partition and the swap partition (also on the disks) which might resolve if the failed disk is removed.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements