× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Stuck in Booting

steveoelliott
Luminary

ReadyNAS Stuck in Booting

Hi,

After a crash my device is now stuck in booting...

I was trying to download logs from frontview when it crashed and had to power cycle it. Since then it has been stuck in Booting...

Ideally could do with one of the experts remote logging in to see what the issue is.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 8
steveoelliott
Luminary

Re: ReadyNAS Stuck in Booting

I did a non-destructive OS Re-install and that cleared the problem.

I now need to perform a disk check etc.

I am still curious to know what may have caused this device to crash when downloading the logs. I have posted that in another area on here.

Thanks
Message 2 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you want to know what happened, you could ask tech support if they can take a look at your logs. See http://www.readynas.com/support

Please post your case number in this thread, preferably editing the thread title (i.e. the title of the first post in the thread).
Message 3 of 8
steveoelliott
Luminary

Well, the problem is it may crash again when I try to pull the logs 🙂

I am running a disk and quota check now. Once complete and after we close for the day, will attempt to gather the logs for inspection.
Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If it does crash they still can do things like remotely login into the unit. Best to contact tech support regardless.
Message 5 of 8
steveoelliott
Luminary

Yes, I called them earlier and they advised the OS Re-install. To be honest, I was very shocked that this actually worked, it didn't when I had a stuck on booting problem a couple of years back.

Worst thing is when you use one of these in business and it can take a couple of days until a 3rd level guy is free to take a look into what may be wrong. When your unit is down, this is just too much.

I think there really should be a way of clearing all the logs etc, doesn't appear to be a way in frontview as the "clear logs" button doesn't actually clear the system logs.
Message 6 of 8
PapaBear1
Guide

In a business environment a good backup plan would not have all the data on just one unit. They would have the names such that you shut down all the clients (desktop PCs) and then change the name on the backup to the same as had been on the primary (which is now shutdown) and then bring the clients back up. They may lose the work between the overnight backup (rsync) and the time the server went down, but now you have time to work on the one causing the problem. If your really paranoid, you have three units so that even with one out of service, you still have an active primary and backup, or at least two on site units with an off site backup. That even covers catastrophic loss.
Message 7 of 8
steveoelliott
Luminary

I do in fact have this in place, and they can do this if "Really" needed but it is only there in case of it being down for over half a day etc.

The problem with using this method is if files are updated on the backup, you then have to re-sync with the primary.

Perhaps, rsync could do this automatically on a daily basis but then what happens if the same 2 files are updated by different people in the same day across both units?
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements