× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Time Machine Utilization Stats

SiliconVGuy
Tutor

ReadyNAS Time Machine Utilization Stats

As a Mac user one of my reasons for buying the ReadyNAS 422 was to get a higher performance Time Machine server. Clicking the Time Machine icon button brings up a dialog for setting up Shared or Private Time Machine. I chose a Shared version because this is for several Macs belonging to me. That works - and it's fast! But, there doesn't seem to be any way to track how much of the Sparsebundle has been used vs. available for later. What am I missing.

BTW, as a UX Designer, I'm surprized that Time Machine is part of the Backup tab. Really it's another way of allocating "shared" file space and seems like it should be part of the Shares tab - where Protocols, Available and Consumed columns make sense. Might also set permissions there too. Maybe I'm mistaken but the Backup tab seems related to backing up this NAS to another NAS or cloud, etc. 

Model: RN4220S|ReadyNAS 4220 2xSFP+ (chassis only)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Time Machine Utilization Stats

If you're wanting to see the space used by the backups for an individual Mac then using private Time Machine with a separate user for each machine would be the way to go.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you go into the System Preferences for Time Machine on your Mac you should see how much space has been used and how much space is available.

Message 2 of 4
SiliconVGuy
Tutor

That's true - but on a Shared Time Machine there may be multiple machines backing  up to the same Sparse Bundle. Being able to see utilization information on the NAS is preferable to going around to each "client" to get the information and then adding the numbers. 

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you're wanting to see the space used by the backups for an individual Mac then using private Time Machine with a separate user for each machine would be the way to go.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements