× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 reset?

mfawcett77
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 reset?

Hopefully I can explain this clearly:) Have just bought the unit and installed a 3TB drive into it and started transferring over lot of files. Bought my 2nd drive the following week, same size and wish to transfer over another large quantity of files but first drive is already at 62% capacity and the new files will go over the 2.76 allocated space. Not too concerned about losing these files so thought I'd try rebooting everything back to factory default and start from scratch after all the research I've done on how to do it but every time it's rebooted goes back to exact same settings with initial 3tb keeping all it's info and no option to set up both drives as RAID 0. Absolutely dumbstruck as to what I'm doing wrong?

Once I've reached the initial capacity on the 3TB HDD will it just start using the next 3TB drive available and keep filling onto this?

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 reset?

When you do the factory reset, you need to open RAIDar during the 10 minute countdown and setup the NAS to use Flex-RAID. Then if it setups a volume you don't want, delete that and create two RAID-0 volumes (one on each disk). Creating a separate volume on each disk is preferable as if one disk fails only the data on that disk is lost. If you have a single RAID-0 volume spanning both disks if either disk fails all data is lost.
Message 2 of 8
mfawcett77
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
When you do the factory reset, you need to open RAIDar during the 10 minute countdown and setup the NAS to use Flex-RAID. Then if it setups a volume you don't want, delete that and create two RAID-0 volumes (one on each disk). Creating a separate volume on each disk is preferable as if one disk fails only the data on that disk is lost. If you have a single RAID-0 volume spanning both disks if either disk fails all data is lost.

That's the problem. I'm sure I'm resetting it correctly but when I get back into it, it won't even come up with that option to use Flex-RAID again for some reason. Just keeps going back to as if nothing had happened.

Powering down the unit, starting it up with reset button held in then pressing back up twice until disk 1 LED light comes on then pressing reset again. That seems to be the right way to do it after hours of research:) Does this sound correct or am I missing something? Cheers again.
Message 3 of 8
mfawcett77
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:

Also, is there an actual physical timer that appears that says 10 minutes or just presumed 10 minute cycle? Because if so, definitely can't see one:)
Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try doing a factory default via System > Update > Factory Default in Frontview. That is an alternative way to trigger it.

When a factory default is triggered there will be a few checks performed, then a 10 minute countdown will commence in which you can choose the RAID mode (via the setup button in RAIDar) or power down to abort the factory default. After this countdown completes the RAID mode is chosen for you (default is to use X-RAID2 for a brand new unit or the RAID mode you last chose for used ones).
Message 5 of 8
mfawcett77
Aspirant

Do I need to have the hdd that is 62% filled formatted before doing this. Doesn't appear that the volume wishes to delete itself which is preventing it from allowing me to set any drives as RAID 0 again?
Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It shouldn't matter how filled or unfilled your volume is. Check your PM inbox.
Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Provided remote assistance via Teamviewer. The system was running old firmware, so mfawcett77 updated the system to 4.2.23 and we had another remote assistance session later. I determined the system was already running Flex-RAID with a single RAID 0 volume C using disk 1. So I showed how to create a second RAID 0 volume D on disk 2 (using the Add Volume button under Volumes in Frontview), and then once the volume had been created I pointed out that shares would need to be created via Shares in Frontview.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements