× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 with OS 6.4.2 periodically drops network connection

tcmalone
Aspirant

I certainly appreciate, and respect, all the replies. I am an AV installer, and have been using ReadyNAS units with clients for over a decade. Therefore I have many clients with a variety of network configurations, some with nice new gigabit routers and associated switches, but some for example with an old 10/100 AT&T DSL "gateway", that then also utilizes power-line adapters with a built-in 4-port hub (possibly it is a switch internally, but not likely). In this particular case, the 'gateway' product is outside and obviously not an ideal location for the NAS. So it was installed inside using the power-line hub. Many "retro-fit" projects are hard as clients are unwilling to spend a lot (enough) to wire and equip appropriately.

As I have only found this "network dropped" issue recently, specifically only with the Ultra 2, I have been trying to diagnose the root issue and possible solutions. Even mdgm (an amazingly helpful support resource!) initially suggested that my issue was likely caused by hard-drives with buggy firmware... I do understand how tough it is sometimes to isolate an issue but my previous post was mostly meant to encourage Netgear to first acknowledge, ideally fix, but certainly avoid this type of 'bug' in the future. Hopefully, it is through posts/exchanges like these that this can be accomplished.

Of course, with this new information (about the Ultra 2 not being able to handle a potentially low-quality or congested 10/100 connection), I will attempt to change/upgrade any components I can to clean gigabit equipment. Again, thanks to all for their input.

Message 26 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Powerline Networking can be hit-or-miss, it depends a lot on the wiring details and the circuit loading.  

A filter for the line can sometimes help, especially with older powerline stuff.  Something like this perhaps: https://www.amazon.com/X10-XPPF-Plug-Noise-Filter/dp/B0002M5OJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483569243&sr...

Message 27 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements