× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4: Blinking "_" ...

BastianW
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 4: Blinking "_" ... [Case: 19779347] ->Solved

When I power up my new ReadyNAS Ultra 4 I can see only a blinking "_" on the LCD. No text nothing ... I have two brand new 3 TB Disks installed.

What could caused that?

Edit:
got a new device from NetGear. So I marked this case as solved.
Message 1 of 15
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

That sounds a little off. You are saying it is new drives? Did you have other drive in the Ultra before? Or is it a new unit too?

Are you able to get the bot menu to come up?
http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how ... _boot_menu
Message 2 of 15
BastianW
Aspirant

Hello OOM-9,

this is a brand new unit. Delivered some weeks ago, today two WR RED 3 TB Disks (they are supported by NetGear) arrived and where installed.

- The device didn´t showed up in the Network
- The RAIDar is also not able to find it
- The device is also not showing "ReadyNAS" as mentioned here in the forum

I tried to get into the boot menu via (but gave up after 2 min because nothing appears on the LCD as the underscore):

Power off your unit.
Using a straightened paper clip, press and hold the Reset button.
Press the Power button to power on the unit.
Continue to press the Reset button until the status display screen shows an boot menu message. <- after pressing 2 minutes here I gave up.
Press the Backup button to scroll through the boot mode options.
Press and release Reset button to confirm your boot menu selection.
Message 3 of 15
b00st3d
Aspirant

maybe try without any drives installed and see what happens? sorry, thats all i got!
Message 4 of 15
BastianW
Aspirant

I already tried that ... with the same result...
Message 5 of 15
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

That can happen in some cases where the ReadyNAS flash is corrupt. You can run a USB recovery to see if you are able recovery the internal flash on the ReadyNAS.
http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=166
Message 6 of 15
BastianW
Aspirant

thanks for the tip. But this didn´t seamed to work. Just tried that with a:

JetFlash 256 MB Stick
ScanDisk Edge 4 GB Stick
NoName 1 GB Stick

- I put the stick in the front from the device
- Pressed & hold the Backup Key
- Pressed the power button

I can see the light flashing on the UBS Stick for maybe 4-5 seconds but then nothing happen (the device will also not shutdown).

Is there a special allocation unit size I need to choose during format? I think I can choose any one ... that shouldn´t be a problem here.

------------
Note (for others). If you are using Windows 7 you need to run usbrecovery.exe as administrator. Otherwise syslinux.exe couldn´t update the bootsector (you see a black box popping up with the error message, if you are qick you can capture it via the print screen to read it).
Message 7 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You did release the power button, right? It's only the backup button that needs to be held in.

In cases like this it would normally be suggested to return the unit to the reseller in exchange for a new unit. However as you've had this unit some weeks that wouldn't be possible. You'll probably need to get it RMA'd via NetGear.
Message 8 of 15
BastianW
Aspirant

Yes I released it directly after the blue light started up blinking and hold only the backup button pressed until the blue light stopped flashing.

Yes I think a RMA is the only way here ... not funny 😞

Edit 1:
I just tried all the 3 sticks on my PC, and they all are stucking after the "Loading initrd.gz..... ready" so booting is working fine from the sticks (at least on that PC). Can somebody please test if such a stick hangs on there PC as well? Not that the initrd.gz is somehow broken here, or is the linux changed so that it will not boot on another system?

Edit 2:
Some small tests here from my side. With the "ReadyNAS_x86_USB_Flash_Recovery-4.2.15.zip" my PC stuck after initrd.gz. When I use the "x86_flash_recovery.zip" the system didn´t hold by the initrd.gz it pushed out the following then:

Decompressing Linux.... Parsing ELF... done.
Booting the kernel.

But also with that kind of USB stick I didn´t see anything else on my ReadyNAS...
Message 9 of 15
dpk
Aspirant
Aspirant

i would suggest that you open a support case with Netgear.
Message 10 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There's a fair chance that the NAS came with firmware newer than 4.2.15. You should have dropped 4.2.22 onto the USB key: http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_x86_4_2_22_Notes
Message 11 of 15
BastianW
Aspirant

@dpk
already done. Currently waiting that somebody response to case 19779347.

@mdgm
yes tried that as well with the same result.
Message 12 of 15
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4: Blinking "_" ... [Case: 19779347]

It looks like you are getting an RMA based on the case. I hope you have better luck with your replacement.
Message 13 of 15
BastianW
Aspirant

Yes... hopefully it will not be a heavily used device... since my was only some weeks old :-(. Currently I´m not very happy with my brand new NAS 😕
Message 14 of 15
BastianW
Aspirant

Gut the replacement today (so far this was quite fast). But the new device didn´t detect the discs correctly. I currently hope that it is only a firmware issue (more about that here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67694). What I really didn´t understand is, that NetGear delivered swap devices with a firmware which is released 2 years ago?!?!
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements