× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus - Is it time to upgrade?

muzicman82
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus - Is it time to upgrade?

Hi all,

I have a Ultra 4+ and have been happy with it. I am putting new WD Red drives in it so I can use the WD Blacks in it for other storage needs. 

My question is.. since the Ultra 4+ is discontinued, is there really any reason to consider upgrading it? It works fine and I don't need any features this doesn't have. Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus - Is it time to upgrade?

Hi muzicman82,

You may consider upgrading its Firmware to 6.4.1 to see what's the difference between the R4 and R6 units. Check our support site for information about RN100, RN300 and RN500 series NAS. Also, you can play with our live demo unit that is available on this link.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus - Is it time to upgrade?

It's been a while since we chatted.  Totally off topic, but what media players are you using now?

Personally I am keeping my pro-6 in service, running 4.2.28 firmware.  I was transitioning from port forwarding selected services in my router to openvpn anyway - which should also eliminate any possibility of new security vulnerabilities being exposed to the internet.  

Migrating the OS6 is on my raidar for the future - I do have some smaller OS6 NAS that I use for plex streaming and backup.  There are some new services, and I'd suggest looking at the new snapshot facility in particular.   One important change is that the home NAS and the business NAS have the same feature set.  OS6 on ultra/pro is not supported by netgear, but many people have gone that route.

The RN214 might be an interesting product for you, since it supports real-time 1080p transcoding with plex.  RN300 and above include lifetime chat/email support, regrettably the RN214 does not.  Both the RN21x and the RN31x are roughly in the performance class of the ultra.  The RN516 is the pro-6 replacement.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements