× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus OS6 - FAN constantly on full power

kingcosmic
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus OS6 - FAN constantly on full power

Hi,

I have upgraded my Ultra 4 Plus with OS 6.2.2 and all seems to be working well apart from my fan is on full speed all of the time.

I have searched through the posts and the comments seem to suggest that the fan speed has been resolved since 6.1.9 but this isn't the case for me as my fan has started spinning like crazy since I updated. BTW All the metrics are reported seemingly correctly in the GUI.

Please can someone guide me how I might be able to resolve this issue?

Many thanks
Message 1 of 6
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus OS6 - FAN constantly on full power

Do you have a backup of all the data stored in your NAS? If yes, perhaps consider doing factory reset...

You might want to consider to try updating to Beta FW v6.2.3: viewtopic.php?t=78866
Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The fan speed is controlled by readynasd and if that is crashing repeatedly then that could explain why the fan is running at full speed. I agree it would be worth trying 6.2.3 beta.

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 3 of 6
mangrove
Apprentice

I miss not being able to control the fan better, or doing a manual recalibration. I changed my fan for a Noctua one but it runs on full power all the time, which kind of defeats the purpose of a more silent fan.
Message 4 of 6
kingcosmic
Aspirant

I upgraded to ReadyNASOS 6.2.3-T1672 (Beta 3).
Waited for the disks to sync.
Added a share named ‘Backup’ - Protocols, NFS and RSYNC, no bitrot or compression.
Removed the rest of the shares
Disabled all uneccessary protocols, smb, dlna etc.
Enabled SSH in settings
Setup a load of rsync backups and ran them
When the backups complete, let the ReadyNAS stand for 8 hours plus.
The fan never seemed to change its speed at any time, it was on full speed even when the cpu was 20c and the disks where cool.
For this part I included the log ending in 50250

I then decided to add a low noise adapter on the fan just to see how it would cope (I did replace my fan with a Noctua replacement soon after I bought it but it worked OK in OS4). The temperatures got up to 70c for the CPU and 43-45 for the discs when runnning the CPU at 100% with a long rsync backup but still this was fine and the system cooled down no problems. Still the fan got no faster or slower.

But and a big but, all of a sudden, later in the day when it had cooled down. I was unable to access it anymore!

I was able to shut it down via the button on the front of the ReadyNAS but was unable to access via the GUI or SSH. When I powered back on it was accessible again, so I’m a bit worried about this bit, obviously this ain’t right. For this I have included the log ending 21331.

Any help is appreciated on both counts, now especially the latter which is obviously more of a concern.

Many thanks
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looks like the fan seeing couldn't be read the first time, perhaps a reboot might have fixed that?

With your test the fan couldn't be spun up so the NAS tried to spin it up to the minimum 1800RPM but failed even when setting the PWM to the maximum value.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements