× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 is slowing down my entire network LAN &

StephenB
Guru

FiremedicJM wrote:
OS reinstall does not work, Hack remains active after doing this from the boot menu.
That's useful to know.

So zeroing the gateway mask to ensure the NAS never connects through the router, backing up the data, and a factory reset/data restore is the way forward. As I mentioned, I'd zero the drives before the reset, just in case a rootkit of some sort was installed.
Message 26 of 32
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OS Re-install doesn't wipe the OS partition. It fixes some common problems resetting some settings and overwrites some files, but as root kits can vary it can't go out and get rid of those. Though it's possible depending how they are written an OS re-install may "fix" the problem temporarily, it's likely malware will be designed to re-install itself if it gets broken meaning any fix would be short lived.
Message 27 of 32
FiremedicJM
Aspirant

mdgm wiped my os partition for me via tech support boot and it solved the problem. No more virus! Thanks!!
Message 28 of 32
IseWise
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
BTW, manually setting your gateway IP address to 0.0.0.0 in the NAS might also improve performance - the network being slow indicates that the NAS is attempting to communicate outbound, and it might be succeeding to some degree.

I tried setting the Default gateway for ethernet 1 to 0.0.0.0 and the NAS responds with "Invalid netmask". What are the correct settings that I need to set?

FiremedicJM wrote:
mdgm wiped my os partition for me via tech support boot and it solved the problem. No more virus! Thanks!!

Did this require a complete wipe? Also how, in my case since ive blocked all internet port traffic to my NAS, can tech support access my NAS?
Message 29 of 32
FiremedicJM
Aspirant

Did not require a complete wipe, Just wiped the OS partition and rebuilt it so it did not wipe data. Tech support can access it if you put it into Tech mode from the boot menu. PM mdgm and I am sure he can help you.
Message 30 of 32
StephenB
Guru

You likely will need to unblock the internet connection on at least one port.
Message 31 of 32
muggsy
Aspirant

FiremedicJM wrote:
Did not require a complete wipe, Just wiped the OS partition and rebuilt it so it did not wipe data. Tech support can access it if you put it into Tech mode from the boot menu. PM mdgm and I am sure he can help you.

I'm thinking this is what might be causing me massive network issues with my ReadyNAS Pro as well. mdgm, are you able to help me out possibly as well?

OK, my NAS had been hacked...
Similar to this
http://blog.malwaremustdie.org/2014/09/ ... china.html
What able to fix with the help from the comments...
File was being created in /boot/ and /lib/udev/ , called something random...
Pain in my ass.. I thought I had patched my nas to the latest , but missed 4.2.27
Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements