× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4, stuck on boot.

manowell1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 4, stuck on boot.

Unit was working as in iSCSI target up until I found it powered off. Only had it set up 4-6 weeks, I have another just like it still working fine.

On boot up just get flashing block / underscore in display. Following reset procedure, I hold in reset button for 4-5 minutes while powering on, never get a change or a boot menu.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

PS, a little more stuff I remembered on this unit:
The other two ReadyNAS units that I own have always updated code and rebooted smoothly,this newer one hasn't. First code upgrade SAID it took, but the reboots didn't work. I had to do the paperclip reset trick to get it back to factory code, which worked, then the next upgrade to current code went OK. I know believe that it's rebooted since then.
Message 1 of 16
chirpa
Luminary

Between that process, did you physically remove the power cable at all? I've sometimes seen removing power cable for a minute to help with stuck boot where the ReadyNAS logo never displays on LCD.
Message 2 of 16
manowell1
Aspirant

Yes, physically pulled the power cord for about a minute.
Message 3 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Give NetGear support a call and post your case number.
Message 4 of 16
manowell1
Aspirant

<Coming back to this two years later>

I had bought two new ReadyNas Ultra 4's at the same time, I let one sit in the box until the warranty had expired. That's this one.

At the time I had to have something quickly, so I bought a new Ultra 4 Plus and moved on, put the (seemingly) bricked Ultra 4 back in the box, and I'm just now getting back to it.

The warranty has expired, is there a procedure to reload the OS from USB as a last ditch attempt? I've tried the factory reset procedure several times, I never get the boot menu. Just an alternating flashing block and underline character.
Message 5 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

USB Boot Recovery can create a new problem that needs to be fixed remotely.

So you can't see the boot menu at all?

Is the RAM properly seated?
Message 6 of 16
manowell1
Aspirant

Can't see boot menu at all, only the flashing block cursor. Have held down the reset button for more then two minutes when powering on, the power light flashed blue then goes to solid blue.

Haven't cracked the case to check the RAM, but if the warranty is void I'm happy to do it if you think it's a good next step.
Message 7 of 16
manowell1
Aspirant

and yes, physically unplugged overnight.
Message 8 of 16
manowell1
Aspirant

Anyone? At this point the unit, never used, is bricked. If I can recover it and make it usable, that's a huge good thing. If not, it weakens my desire to buy more ReadyNAS gear. (I have four now)
Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Hmm. The unit bricked, and you let it sit around for 2 years until the warranty expires. Then you ask the community forum (not netgear) for help, and then you say that if we don't then it "weakens your desire".

Why should I care? Like almost all posters here I don't work for Netgear.

Just to confirm warranty status - warranty is 3 years. You are saying you purchased prior to Jan 7, 2012? I am wondering, since the unit was set up around October 2012 according to the thread. So there would have been at least 9 months between purchase and setup, which seems unusual.
Message 10 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I guess you could try USB Boot Recovery if you want to.
Message 11 of 16
manowell1
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Hmm. The unit bricked, and you let it sit around for 2 years until the warranty expires. Then you ask the community forum (not netgear) for help, and then you say that if we don't then it "weakens your desire".

Why should I care? Like almost all posters here I don't work for Netgear.

Just to confirm warranty status - warranty is 3 years. You are saying you purchased prior to Jan 7, 2012? I am wondering, since the unit was set up around October 2012 according to the thread. So there would have been at least 9 months between purchase and setup, which seems unusual.

I'm asking here because it's out of warranty. If you don't work for Netgear and don't care, I understand. 🙂

Yes, I purchase two units in 2010, one of them sat on the shelf for two years before I even unboxed it. That's my fault, not Netgears, as well. I agree this is highly unusual, but it is the case in this instance.
Message 12 of 16
manowell1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
I guess you could try USB Boot Recovery if you want to.

That's what I'd like to try, but I've searched and can't find the procedure. At this time, I'm viewing it as a last ditch effort to get some value out of the chassis.
Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

manowell wrote:
I'm asking here because it's out of warranty. If you don't work for Netgear and don't care, I understand. 🙂

Yes, I purchase two units in 2010, one of them sat on the shelf for two years before I even unboxed it. That's my fault, not Netgears, as well. I agree this is highly unusual, but it is the case in this instance.
In this case mdgm is probably the best resource (and he does happen to work for Netgear).

The reason for my initial response was the perceived tone (help me or I'll start buying synology :shock: ). It didn't sit quite right. I do hope you get it up and running, despite the long time on the shelf. 🙂
Message 14 of 16
manowell1
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
manowell wrote:

In this case mdgm is probably the best resource (and he does happen to work for Netgear).

The reason for my initial response was the perceived tone (help me or I'll start buying synology :shock: ). It didn't sit quite right. I do hope you get it up and running, despite the long time on the shelf. 🙂

Sorry if the tone was offputting, I was very frustrated, but most of the frustration was aimed at myself. I was p##sed off that I HAD the USB recoverry link before, but had lost it and couldn't even find it. p##sed off that the unit MAY HAVE BEEN DOA, but I let it sit in the box while support expired. Lesson learned, hopefully.

mdgm got me the links (Thanks, mdgm!), but haven't been able to recover it. Followed that whole thread with varous USB sticks, which worked according to the procedure, but the unit still comes with with a solid LED 4 ("Flash error", I think) and remains bricked.

I've only used Buffalo for one client that insisted, other than that I've only installed NetGear and have had nothing but good results (30+ units) other than this one, which is mine.
Message 15 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you check the RAM was properly seated as I suggested earlier. If the warranty is expired then I guess that would be a logical next step.

Does the NAS show in RAIDar at all now after trying USB Boot Recovery? If so, what do you see in the Info (far right) column?
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements