× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus

rdelassalas
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus

I am running the latest version of RAIDiator and I would like to upgrade this NAS box to the very latest OS so I can take advange of new and improved apps. I was reading some poting in the community but they all semm very old (2016). Does anyone have any suggestions? BTW, most postings suggest downloading two file but they do not explain where to get the files from. I would appreciate if anyone out there could share a most rescent solution to this upgrade question

BTW, this form is asking to "Select a location" or "Choose a board". This is baffling since it does not contain any choosing for NAS and the countries provided are not clickable. So I selected Netgear Armor! Sorry!

rdelassalas

Model: RNDU6000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 6)|READYNAS ULTRA 6 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@rdelassalas wrote:

I am running the latest version of RAIDiator and I would like to upgrade this NAS box to the very latest OS so I can take advange of new and improved apps. I was reading some poting in the community but they all semm very old (2016). Does anyone have any suggestions? BTW, most postings suggest downloading two file but they do not explain where to get the files from.

There's a more recent post outlining the process (and which includes download links) here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Lost-contact-with-NAS-after-upgradi...

If you want to update your bios also, you should install it before the conversion.  The download link for that is here:http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin  Updating the bios is optional, you don't need to do that in order to do the conversion.

As you likely know, Netgear won't support converted legacy systems.

@rdelassalas wrote:

BTW, this form is asking to "Select a location" or "Choose a board". This is baffling since it does not contain any choosing for NAS 

You'll find ReadyNAS Network Storage under "Business Solutions"

Message 2 of 6
Campus
Apprentice

Keep in mind that version 6 is highly unstable on old devices. I have multiples Pro 6 boxes which disappear from the network from time to time (especially when doing a rsync backup) and have to be cold-reset to be available again.

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

@Campus wrote:

Keep in mind that version 6 is highly unstable on old devices. I have multiples Pro 6 boxes which disappear from the network from time to time (especially when doing a rsync backup) and have to be cold-reset to be available again.

I 100% disagree with that statement.  Providing you have upgraded the memory to at least 2GB, OS6 can be very stable on older hardware, and has been for me.  I have had it successfully running on Pro2, Ultra4, Ultra4Plus, Pro6, Ultra6, RN4200V2, and RD5200 systems.  I'm down to fewer only for consolidation, since I have a place for rack-mount systems, not because of problems with any of them.

Of course, if an aging system already has problems, then OS6 might make them worse with more demand on it.

If the Ultra6Plus has the normal 1.8GHz Pentium, then upgrading the processor can also make it snappier.  But check first, as I had one that came with the same 2.6GHz one as the Pro6.

Although the Ultra6Plus/Pro6 motherboard does not utilize dual-channel memory, I recommend you still upgrade in pairs, not just throw in another stick of potentially diffferent size and timing.  I have always stuck with CL5 memory, too, as that's what came with them (at least in the early years).

Message 4 of 6
Campus
Apprentice

Then you are lucky. I have multiple boxes with maxed memory, fastest possible cpu which never had any issues with OS4 which reproducible hang when running rsync backups from remote rsync servers. I am also not the only one as others reported the same issue here in the forum in the past, like here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-Pro-6-has-become-unstable-...

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Campus wrote:

Then you are lucky. 

I haven't converted my own Pro-6, but based on posts here I'd say that you (and some others) were unlucky.  Most folks haven't run into any issues with the conversion.  Some have had some minor issues with temperature and fan status.  One or two bricked their NAS (likely some underlying issue with the flash memory in their NAS).

There are some risks.  But if the process succeeds and you don't like the results, the conversion can also be reversed.

FWIW, my Pro-6 (which backs up my RN526x) will need a factory reset to expand it's volume.  If I'm still using it when I need to expand it (or need to reset it for another reason) I will convert it to OS-6.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements