× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus

oni228
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus

I am running RAIDiator 4.2.27 and I have 2x6TB and 2x3TB. How would I get them to show one big Raid 18TB like it should?

Physical capacity selected: 11427913

MB

Volume overhead (RAID/FS): 347804 MB
Maximum volume size: 11080109 MB

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus

@oni228 wrote:

I am running RAIDiator 4.2.27 and I have 2x6TB and 2x3TB. How would I get them to show one big Raid 18TB like it should?

Physical capacity selected:  11427913

MB

Volume overhead (RAID/FS):  347804  MB
Maximum volume size:  11080109  MB

Thanks!

What it should be showing you is 12 TB.  That is about 11,400 MiB and matches your physical capacity.  The rule for single-redundancy capacity is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  You apparently want RAID-0 to span all disks.  That is extremely fragile.  If any disk fails, all 18 TB is lost.  

You are better off with jbod - that would give you 4 volumes (one for each disk).  That is invisible to the users, but it does require you to manage share size and approximately balance the storage used across the drives.  The benefit is that if when a disk fails, you only lose what is on that disk.  Data Recovery (if you ever need it) is also simpler.  One drawback - I think 4.2.x has a 4 volume limit - even on 6 bay systems.

The only way to change the RAID mode is to do a factory reset.  You will need to reconfigure the NAS, reinstall any addons, and restore all the data from backup drives.  Look up "flexraid" in the user manual (http://documentation.netgear.com/ultra/enu/202-10654-01/usermanual_1.pdf). 

There is some limits to the max volume size with 4.2.x systems.  You can't expand a volume over a 16 TiB ceiling.  You also can't expand it more than 8 TiB from its starting size.  

You can create a volume greater than 16 TiB if you start with all disks in place (and if expansion is not required to create the volume). If you wanted XRAID, that means that all the disks would need to be the same size.  I am not sure about RAID-0.  I don't think the 16 TiB volume expansion ceiling is an issue for spanning RAID-0 with mixed disk sizes - but I am not 100% certain of that.  

If your Ultra is out of warranty (3 years) you might consider OS6.  That is not supported by Netgear (and I'm not strongly recommending it).  I'm just saying that if you are doing a reset anyway, its a natural time to switch over if you want to.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@oni228 wrote:

Physical capacity selected:  11427913

MB

Volume overhead (RAID/FS):  347804  MB
Maximum volume size:  11080109  MB

Thanks!

What it should be showing you is 12 TB.  That is about 11,400 MiB and matches your physical capacity.  The rule for single-redundancy capacity is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  You apparently want RAID-0 to span all disks.  That is extremely fragile.  If any disk fails, all 18 TB is lost.  

You are better off with jbod - that would give you 4 volumes (one for each disk).  That is invisible to the users, but it does require you to manage share size and approximately balance the storage used across the drives.  The benefit is that if when a disk fails, you only lose what is on that disk.  Data Recovery (if you ever need it) is also simpler.  One drawback - I think 4.2.x has a 4 volume limit - even on 6 bay systems.

The only way to change the RAID mode is to do a factory reset.  You will need to reconfigure the NAS, reinstall any addons, and restore all the data from backup drives.  Look up "flexraid" in the user manual (http://documentation.netgear.com/ultra/enu/202-10654-01/usermanual_1.pdf). 

There is some limits to the max volume size with 4.2.x systems.  You can't expand a volume over a 16 TiB ceiling.  You also can't expand it more than 8 TiB from its starting size.  

You can create a volume greater than 16 TiB if you start with all disks in place (and if expansion is not required to create the volume). If you wanted XRAID, that means that all the disks would need to be the same size.  I am not sure about RAID-0.  I don't think the 16 TiB volume expansion ceiling is an issue for spanning RAID-0 with mixed disk sizes - but I am not 100% certain of that.  

If your Ultra is out of warranty (3 years) you might consider OS6.  That is not supported by Netgear (and I'm not strongly recommending it).  I'm just saying that if you are doing a reset anyway, its a natural time to switch over if you want to.

Message 2 of 7
oni228
Aspirant

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20684#raidar, is this the linke to OS6? cause all I did was get the interface and I did upgrade to the new firmware 4.2.27. So this NAS is capable of doing jbod? Where I have 4 disk now and later on I can add 2 more and add to it. Each disk fills up one at a time? or I need to do flex-raid?

Thanks for the speedy reply

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@oni228 wrote:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20684#raidar, is this the linke to OS6?

No.  That's a link to RAIDar 6.0, which is a windows program.

There is a subforum for running OS6 on legacy NAS here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/bd-p/readynas-use?topic-zoom=OS6%20On%20Legacy%...

Message 4 of 7
oni228
Aspirant

Thanks for the contribution to help me out. So I found a cracked 6.3.5 Firmware, I was wondering if anyone has a link to the newest 6.4.0 since I am upgrading would want to upgrade to newest.

Thanks!
Message 5 of 7
IcyK
Tutor

the newest (6.4.0) seems to be the worst, I'd stick to 6.3.5.

After installing, there's a popup to upgrade. Read these forums extensively before you try...

Message 6 of 7
oni228
Aspirant

Ok got everything working. Getting on NAS LED Cannot connect discovery server. Any idea how-to fix? I am able to get to my network drive that was made and admin page all that works.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements