× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Review (RNDU6000) no network activity???

StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Review (RNDU6000) no network activity???

@Andreas64nl wrote:

I can not get in root? Password is not accepteted.

The username for Frontview is always admin.

Message 26 of 66
StephenB
Guru

@Andreas64nl wrote:

I can reach my files, As I said a post before, I am backing-up as much Ican now. But the ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH remains.

See this:

Message 27 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

StephenB@THE username for Frontview is always admin.

I know that.

See this:

I can not reach the NAS via browser and SSH. I can log in via root, via my name but password is not accepted.

Message 28 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

I can reach Frontview now via this methode: https://www.rensen.nu/faq/ie-modus-in-edge#:~:text=De%20Internet%20Explorer%2Dmodus%20kan,Toestaan%2.... it is in Dutch but the pictures says enough.

I am trying to install EnableRootSSH_1.0.bin but it says the the system has not the right architecture.

Message 29 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

I can install this one ToggleSSH_1.0-x86.bin

Message 30 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

After installing ToggleSSH_1.0-x86.bin I have no root acces anymore. Ia, ai, ia

But via Edge under IE I can reach via the browser.

Message 31 of 66
StephenB
Guru

@Andreas64nl wrote:

I am trying to install EnableRootSSH_1.0.bin but it says the the system has not the right architecture.

Try this one:

@Andreas64nl wrote:

I can reach Frontview now via this methode: https://www.rensen.nu/faq/ie-modus-in-edge#:~:text=De%20Internet%20Explorer%2Dmodus%20kan,Toestaan%2....

Yes, IE mode in Edge will work.

Once you are in, you can install this add-on - which will add TLS 1.2 support to the NAS.

Though IMO converting the NAS to OS-6 is a better strategy, as 4.2.x has not received any security updates since 2017.  OS-6 also supports SMB 3, which is helpful as both Microsoft and Apple are deprecating SMB 1.

Message 32 of 66
StephenB
Guru

@Andreas64nl wrote:

After installing ToggleSSH_1.0-x86.bin I have no root acces anymore. Ia, ai, ia

I think you already know this, but ToggleSSH is the wrong add-on.

Message 33 of 66
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, @StephenB pointed you to a solution to that in a reply above.

But since you are going to have a full backup and will have to replace (and re-sync) two drives, you may want to consider upgrading your NAS to OS6 instead.

Message 34 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

I installed everthing and it is working. I can now acces via the browser, yeaahhhhh. Thank you so much for this help.

How to install OS 6 because I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 6?

Message 35 of 66
StephenB
Guru

@Andreas64nl wrote:

How to install OS 6 because I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 6?

I recommend increasing the RAM before you begin.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, your ReadyNAS only has 1 GB.  It might work, but there have been folks who have run into out-of-memory issues after converting.  The upgrade is inexpensive, and is simple to do.  If you aren't sure what to purchase, you can open the chassis and examine the RAM that's already installed in order to find something compatible.

Also, if you have the skills, you should probably back up the VPD before conversion.  Netgear Mods so far have resolved the VPD problem for users who have run into it, but backing it up would allow you to resolve the issue on your own if you run into it.  More information on this is here:

The conversion steps are:

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you do want to update the BIOS it is easiest to do it prior to conversion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

Note that if you ever need to do a USB recovery later on, you will need to use the procedure for 4.2 systems - substituting an OS-6 image for the 4.2.31 one.

Message 36 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

Thank you for the explanation. I asked a college whom has a lot off stuff on his attic for a extra memory bank. So, first that.

I updated the latest bios. The link is not working btw, you need the same link but with https.

Is it possible to get the vpd file of via WinSCP because now I can access via root the NAS?

Message 37 of 66
Sandshark
Sensei

The VPD is on the internal flash, which is not accessible with a normal boot, even as root.  Thus the need for the special instructions.

Message 38 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

These special instructions are a bit tricky and I don`t want to lose my data. I made back-ups for most important things but there is to much to back-up. What I understand is that you have to be quick for to get that file on the USB stick or else you lose everything. So, if you want to OS 6 you always lose your data and start all over again? And than with the VPD file you set everything back?

Message 39 of 66
Sandshark
Sensei

When you upgrade to OS6, you lose everything, period.  OS6 uses a different drive format than OS4, as well as a larger OS partition.  You also cannot save a configuration file and restore it from OS4.2.x to OS6.  You are completely starting over and restoring your files from backup.

The VPD is just where your model number and serial number are stored, in an encrypted form.  It's not supposed to be touched by the upgrade to OS6.  But some have found that it was corrupted or deleted as a part of the upgrade or a later update of OS6 on a legacy unit.  And if it's missing or corrupt, you can't properly boot the NAS.  So backing it up is a precaution.

Message 40 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

Okay, I understand now. From scratch! I have to find temporal back-up than first. And getting the VPD file is simple to do?

Message 41 of 66
Sandshark
Sensei

How simple backing up the VPD file is depends on your level of experience and comfort with the Linux command line.  Read the instructions in the post @StephenB pointed to and make that determination for yourself.

Message 42 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

I want to thank you all for the help. I couldn't have done it without that help. I need to think carefully about what I'm going to do next. At the moment I find it tricky to bring this NAS to OS 6. Although I find the process of doing it very interesting and fun. In the meantime I have a new disk in the NAS and it is back as it was. Maybe I'll buy a whole new NAS. One of these times with the specs of this time.

Message 43 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

Okay, here I am again. It took some time to get the memmory banks but they are inside now. I have 2GB memmory. What should I do first?

Message 44 of 66
Sandshark
Sensei

Making sure the backup is complete is the first step.  Since the conversion process can corrupt the VPD (never has for me, and I've converted a lot of units, but there have been reports here), then backing up the VPD is the best next step.  Then, the actual conversion.  The steps that take a significant amount of time are the backup, sync of the OS6 volume, and restoration of files.

Message 45 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

Okay, first to get that VPD file. I hope I can get it off the NAS.

Message 46 of 66
StephenB
Guru

@Andreas64nl wrote:

Okay, first to get that VPD file. I hope I can get it off the NAS.

@Sandshark posted instructions for that here: 

Message 47 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

I can not log in via putty?

Message 48 of 66
Andreas64nl
Aspirant

I have trubbles to get in support tech. The manual is not correct. They say to hold the reset button in and than with the backup button too scroll but that does not work. When I release the reset button I can scroll but any other button I put in nothing happens.

Okay I am in Techsupport and get an IP but can not get in via putty?

Message 49 of 66
Sandshark
Sensei

"Can't get in" is not much of a description.  Don't connect at all, or the credentials are refused?

In Tech Support mode, you use Telnet, not SSH.  Putty can do that, but if you are used to using SSH, that will be the default.  You also have to use user name root and password infr8ntdebug.  If those don't help, then you need to be more specific in your description of the problem.

Message 50 of 66
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 65 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements