× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 - Stuck on "READYNAS" prompt with or without disks

MotoGod
Tutor

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 - Stuck on "READYNAS" prompt with or without disks

So I aquired a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus from a buddy of mine @ 4-5months ago.  It has been working GREAT!  I upgraded it to OS6 and although it slowed down a little, it's been working perfectly.....until tonight.

I found some DDR2 RAM laying around (2X2GB) and I figured I'd toss it in the ReadyNAS to give it a little more ooomph from the 1GB it has installed.  I pulled the cover, installed the RAM, turned it on....and BAM.  Nothing but a ReadyNAS logo.  I did some poking around, turns out this was OCZ Platinum 2.1v RAM and the ReadyNAS needs 1.8v.  Boooo

I pulled out the 2 sticks I installed, and put the factory Apacer stick back in it.  Same thing.  Just a ReadyNAS logo.  I tried the other slot...nothing.  I pulled the disks out...same thing.  I reseated everything, and checked to make sure I didn;t touch anything else inside during my failed RAM Upgrade.

I cannot even access the boot menu using the reset button on the back.

What the heck happened?  Did the incompatible RAM put it into some kind of stuck mode here?  If so, how can I get it back to booting without losing my data?  I have my uber important stuff backed up, but there is a bunch of non essential things on here the wife tossed out here that has not made it into the backup rotation.

Help!

Scott

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @MotoGod

can you send me through PM a photo of your serial number and sticker on your NAS? We might be able to get this fix through backend.

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

The NAS will say "ReadyNAS" if all it has is 5V power.  It's possible that it's a coincidence and it is a power supply issue, but I think it's more likely you knocked something else loose.  Maybe the 4-pin CPU power connection?

That 2.1V RAM should not be incompatible.  I've used that exact RAM in one (maybe two) Pro6 models, and the Ultra6Plus uses the same motherboard..

Message 2 of 11
MotoGod
Tutor

I can't seem to find anything loose at all in here.  I read on one of the pages that the 2.1v RAM wouldn't work without a BIOS tweak or something along those lines.  Very odd.  The unit was powered up and working GREAT not 5 minutes prior.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@MotoGod wrote:

I read on one of the pages that the 2.1v RAM wouldn't work without a BIOS tweak or something along those lines.  

It can't be the RAM, since restoring the original memory didn't fix it.

If you think there might be some residual bios state getting in the way, then you could try disconnecting the NAS from the power main for a bit - that would clear it.

If nothing came loose, then the PSU is the other possibility - though I agree the coincidence would be odd.

Message 4 of 11
MotoGod
Tutor

I did try and leave the power disconnected for 5-10 minutes, but the same thing happened.  I just learned that these things have a console header....so I'm trying to find something I can hookup to that and see if I can get some output to a screen to see what's going on here.

Someone on the Facebook group told me the 2.1v RAM should work and they have used that exact RAM before in one of these, so my best guess is the BIOS is throwing up a prompt that I cant see...and maybe it's just waiting for a keypress or something!  I ordered a VGA header for it as well, but who knows how long that will take to get here.

Troubleshooting headless appliances is fun!

Message 5 of 11
MotoGod
Tutor

Just tested the power supply with my power supply tester....it's definitely good. So that rules out one thing...

Message 6 of 11
MotoGod
Tutor

Well good news (sort of)....I managed to get into the ReadyNAS via serial port input to see what's going on at boot time.

It DOES recognize the 4GB of RAM I put in, but it throws the following error:

MBR

H

error

In that order on the screen.  MBR friend?  That would seem rather odd just from powering it down, adding RAM, and powering it back on?

Did my firmware get fried maybe?

Message 7 of 11
MotoGod
Tutor

I'm attempting a USB recovery of the firmware.  We'll see how this goes.  I upgraded it to OS 6, so I'm trying the OS 6 USB Recovery first.....but I have no idea if it will work or not  😞

Message 8 of 11
MotoGod
Tutor

I managed to get the NAS back online by doing a USB recovery using the OS 4 tool, and an OS 6 image.  It's still slightly confused though since it doesn't know which model it is, or what serial number, but the OS is working...and I can grab a full backup, then see what I can do to fix the rest.

Phew....

Message 9 of 11
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @MotoGod

can you send me through PM a photo of your serial number and sticker on your NAS? We might be able to get this fix through backend.

Regards

Message 10 of 11
MotoGod
Tutor

Sent you an image Marc.  Thanks!

Scott

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos