× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 6

Tacyon
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 6

funny story for another time, needless to say, I now own a Ultra 6 populated with (6) 2TB WD NAS Reds. Couple of questions for those of you who are more experienced than I.

1) I see a 1gb 6200 CL6 DIMM on the Atom motherboard. Is this for the OS use or do read/write buffer from here? Also, would adding a 2nd 1gb DIMM improve the preformance enough to make it worth bothering ?

2)  I see that there is and also mentioned a "2nd fan header" next the one being used by what is the case fan. There appears to be a 3rd fan header over closer to the CPU. Can anyone confirm that this is a operational fan header ?

3) Have any of you had thermal warnings from the CPU (yellow temp range) when ambient room temps are ~74`f

This is passively cooled so I added a small laptop fan to the lower side of the CPU heatsink to assist in cooling. Also replaced the almost non-existant thermal compound. Also just because I can and had them, I threw a memory chip  style heat sink on the intel controller chip. So once I put it back together I'll see if any of this made a difference on temps. 55-60`c while watching last night.

Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 6

1. If the memory is swapping a lot you should see a decent improvement. Otherwise the performance benefit would probably be quite minor.

2. The fan headers we use are hard coded into the OS. So if the other one is operational a fan connected to it would not have its speed automatically managed.

Please note that we do not support hardware modifications. You can do them, but it voids the warranty.

EDIT: I meant automatically "managed", not "damaged"

Message 2 of 5
Tacyon
Aspirant

At the risk of seeming rude or snippy, I would have thought that as a board moderator, you have read the post and questions. Verified your answers (i.e. know what you're talking about) and 3rd, re-read your response to see that it doesn't make sense.

1) was so globally generic as to be applicable to just about any memory related question. What I was asking, is if it's specifically utilized by the RAID controller as a read/write buffer.  If no one really knows ... then please, no speculation posed as fact.

2) Fan headers are not hard corded into the OS. Fan "headers" are present or not. However "active speed control" based on thermal loading might be. What I was looking for here was, has anyone plugged into the 3rd fan header closest to the CPU and noted that it was "live"  (i.e. outputs 5VDC), RPMs would be a bonus but I doubt it since there is no 2nd or 3rd fan RPM displays/status in the WEB GUI.

And I would assume that when you said "...its speed automatically damaged." you perhaps meant something like "...its speed automatically controlled." ?  [proof read plz]

.. And finally your last line, "but it voids the warranty."   Not too worried about this since it’s a device that has been out of production for several years and its warranty/registration is not transferable to a 2nd owner.

. so does anyone know for a fact if the onboard memory DIMM's are utilized for RAID buffering or is this too much to expect out of a consumer based product?

... 2nd had anyone ever plugged a fan into that 3rd fan header closest to the CPU.

On a brighter note, since replacing the thermal paste with new, quality paste, and the addition of a small fan on the heat sink (powered from #2 fan header) the CPU has stayed rock steady at `50c no matter what I ask it to do.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Tacyon wrote:What I was asking, is if it's specifically utilized by the RAID controller as a read/write buffer.

There is no RAID controller, the ultra 6 uses software raid. So the 1 GB of RAM is for both disk caching and for linux.

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1) Part of your question did sound quite generic. As mentioned by StephenB we are using software RAID.

2) I meant that the fan headers are hard coded into our fan control scritpts. Generally my proof reading does pick up any mistakes I make, but we all miss some things from time to time e.g. you wrote "hard corded" not "hard coded"

Just needed to be clear on the warranty implications not just for you, but if someone else comes across this thread.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements