× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra4 Plus and El Capitan

Tristannyc
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra4 Plus and El Capitan

I just upgraded my Mac to El Capitan and I can no longer see my Ready NAS Ultra 4 Plus from my Mac.  I ran RAIDAR diagnostics from that same Mac and everything is fine.  However, I tried to remap my NAS from my MAC using Finder and received an error message that there was a problem connecting.  The firmware on the ReadyNAS is up to date.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra4 Plus and El Capitan

Hello Tristannyc,

Have you checked if other computers you have get the same problem? It seems there are a lot of problems being raised after updating to El Capitan, it is not just using ReadyNAS but even other brands and not just connecting to servers but even WiFi. Time Machine, etc. So it is best to check if other computers you have (non-El Capitan) get problems connecting to the NAS too.

Please also verify what protocols are enabled for the shares. It should look something like the image below:

shares.png

If you have SMB (CIFS) and/or AFP (for Mac only) added in the the protocols then you should be able to access the NAS using these protocols.

To connect using Mac:

1. In the menu bar, select "Go", and then "Connect to Server..." (alternatively, one can press Command-K)
  2. In the Server Address box, type afp:// followed by the name of your device that's listed in the sidebar. For example: afp://wdmycloud or afp://<IP address of the NAS> or smb://<ip address of the NAS>
  3. Choose Guest, or Registered User to login to a private share
  4. Click Connect

Basically that is how you connect to a server on a Mac computer, not the browser type.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Tristannyc,

What file protocol do you use to get in to your NAS on your Mac? How about other LAN devices/computers on the same network, do they still see the NAS? What is the firmware version of the ReadyNAS? Do you have any permission settings on the shares of the NAS?

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
Tristannyc
Aspirant

I was finally able to connect - but I couldn't connect by typing the IP address for my NAS.  I had to use the browse feature of Finder to locate the network shares.  I use whatever default protocol Finder uses to make a connect.  I am running version 4.2.27 of the firmware.

Message 3 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Tristannyc,

It is possible that the NAS changed the IP address. If you have RAIDar, it will show the NAS' current IP address.

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
Tristannyc
Aspirant

I was using the IP address from RAIDAR when I tried to connect.  That did not work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 5 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Tristannyc,

Have you checked if other computers you have get the same problem? It seems there are a lot of problems being raised after updating to El Capitan, it is not just using ReadyNAS but even other brands and not just connecting to servers but even WiFi. Time Machine, etc. So it is best to check if other computers you have (non-El Capitan) get problems connecting to the NAS too.

Please also verify what protocols are enabled for the shares. It should look something like the image below:

shares.png

If you have SMB (CIFS) and/or AFP (for Mac only) added in the the protocols then you should be able to access the NAS using these protocols.

To connect using Mac:

1. In the menu bar, select "Go", and then "Connect to Server..." (alternatively, one can press Command-K)
  2. In the Server Address box, type afp:// followed by the name of your device that's listed in the sidebar. For example: afp://wdmycloud or afp://<IP address of the NAS> or smb://<ip address of the NAS>
  3. Choose Guest, or Registered User to login to a private share
  4. Click Connect

Basically that is how you connect to a server on a Mac computer, not the browser type.

Regards,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements